1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

Soundbars or true surround?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by stoofa, Apr 7, 2019.

1. kitfit1

Mobster

I don't think i or anyone else has said that it's accurate. What a soundbar, a good one, is near enough for both the price and the ease of install to be a very viable option if you really don't have the room or the inclination to go full surround.

And i absolutely do not agree that ""you cant reflect rear sound effects with any accuracy from the front soundstage." I have spent about half my working life doing that same thing on a daily basis from any number of different mixing desks worldwide.

2. 200sols

Wise Guy

What exactly are you saying then? It either is or is not accurate?

3. kitfit1

Mobster

Ohhhhhhhh, nitpicking now are we ? Get a life. It's accurate enough when you are using a top end sounbar. Of course it's not 100% accurate, but then a £3000 full surround system isn't either.

4. 200sols

Wise Guy

Not nitpicking, just calling you out for contradicting yourself and you clearly didn’t like it.

5. Musty Pie

Soldato

You two are a great example of why I never bothered trying to understand differences in Audio equipment.

6. stoofa

Capodecina

Thank you for all of the posts - well for most of the posts.....no, thanks for them all, always good to get healthy debate.
    I think I'm going to go the 5.1 route and just replace my ageing speakers - the Yamaha RX-V581 is a capable receiver and I think if I budget myself somewhere in the £500 - £600 max to replace my speakers and sub I should be able to get something I'm happy with.
    In fact, after reading through a number of threads elsewhere, I've been looking at:

Wharfedale DX-2 at around £350
    Monitor Audio 5.1 Mass (Older version) at £499
    Monitor Audio 5.1 Mass (2019 version) at £599

I've got limited space for rear speakers and alas some of the recommended Q Acoustic units simply won't fit.
    I hear good things about the Monitor Audio equipment, I did notice that on the 2019 version the centre speaker is "just another satellite" as opposed to every other setup I've seen where the centre always seems to be a bigger, more powerful speaker than the 4 satellites. However I am sure they know what they are doing.

7. BMox81

Hitman

FWIW - I have a Sony HT-XF9000 which is an Atmos soundbar. I know people here are rightly saying that it won't beat speakers in the ceiling, but I'm astounded at what it's able to achieve.

I've been very impressed with it so far.

8. nicknack35

Wise Guy

I have a Dali Kubic One with a Dali Sub and its Brill for music and films really good bit of kit

9. phrases

Gangster

I've dabbled with home cinema for a few years had the latest tech at the time and just grew bored of it plus the clutter in the living room was too much for the mrs so they had to go. Moved onto a sonos soundbar and sub. Couldn't be happier the trade off is fine.

But eventually i plan to go up into the loft and create a chill space with projector sound dampening all the works. But thats about 5-6yrs off :(