Poll: Spanish Grand Prix 2019, Catalunya - Race 5/21

Rate the 2019 Spanish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Not sure about if that was a boring race or I'm bored of f1.

Felt like a chore watching to the end

Is there a 10 min highlight show? Even the C4 highlights are too long

I feel like I'm watching f1 out of habit now. I don't think I got excited more than once at the first lap.
Tbh. I'm disappointed by how such a rich sport can be so dull.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ferrari’s race operations and management are worse than last year, while Mercedes just keep getting better. Verstappen is so good, taking every scrap of every opportunity.

One of the dullest races for a while. 3/10.

Soldato
Chuffed that this is one of the most boring seasons in F1 history and people are switching off in droves?

Chuffed that we have built a car that’s is performing so well, that we have a team that is doing such a good job. So yes chuffed.

Not our fault that the other teams aren’t doing such a good job as we are. Should we just be worse job?

Man of Honour
Chuffed that we have built a car that’s is performing so well, that we have a team that is doing such a good job. So yes chuffed.

Not our fault that the other teams aren’t doing such a good job as we are. Should we just be worse job?

Ignore. He is the resident troll who never actually replies after the initial bait.

Congrats on building a fantastic car.

Caporegime
I think he’ll bounce back. He said there was a clutch issue at the start and that’s where the race was lost - he just has to keep doing what he’s doing and pick himself up for the next race.

Having said that, if Lewis can do this another couple of times in a row it will no doubt start to play on Bottas’ confidence.

It's not about a clutch. It's his race pace, he's been competitive in certain races for the past two years, even a couple races he gave Merc trouble in a Williams. Every driver has good and bad tracks and types of tracks. He has generally speaking horrible tire wear. Look at the end of hte first stint he started losing a second a lap to Hamilton, Ham looked like he could have gone another 10 laps on those tires. Ham pushing out the gap at will as in China.

The difference is when winning like in China he can just control the gap, go out to 5-8 seconds and cruise, any time Bottas comes back bam, pushes it out. He did this to Rosberg for 3 years easily. Yes Bottas could well have won here today if he was through T1 first because even with worse tire life they may have pitted him first, the undercut stopping Hamilton ever getting track position though he may have tried to one stop and may have made it work.

Tracks with poor passing Bottas has a shot to win as with Rosberg, who mostly won at tracks like Monaco, Barcelona, Singapore, qualifying 1st of 2nd, if he was 1st into T1 on any of those tracks he probably won. If it's Bahrain, China or COTA, he gets blown away 9 out of 10 times.

Bottas excels at say Russia with almost no tire deg, and can hold a lead somewhere like Australia/Abu Dhabi easily, but he can't win the Spa, Germany, Monza, COTA, Brazil, etc. If Ham has a failure at a couple of tracks Bottas can't win and he gets a 25 gap, then it will take maybe 4 races for Ham to claw that back, he could win the title same way Rosberg did. But Bottas isn't a new driver, he was competitive in Baku last year but unlucky, he was competitive in several tracks and did beat Ham in qualifying multiple times. But Bottas lacks race pace anywhere with real deg.

Ferrari, could have had a podium without the safety car, I don't think Leclerc's tires would be in anything but bad condition but at a track like this sometimes you can defend position even with terrible tires. Impossible to know if those hards would have had enough traction to stay ahead by the end. People giving Ferrari a lot of grief for trying it but a standard two stop would have seen them behind Verstappen anyway after that start.

Verstappen, damn man, only guy even close to Ham's level right now. The move around the outside of T3 was fantastic. Vettel and even Leclerc were moving away from Verstappen out of T2 as he was very tight with a poor exit but when they slowed for T3 Verstappen just said screw that I'm having him around the outside, absolutely nailed him in T3 and ultimately that was the move that got him a place on the podium.

I'd kill to see Verstappen take that seat off Bottas next year and a couple of seasons of full on title fight between them. I think Verstappen would also significantly increase the competitiveness of Ferrari so that would be an option. I believe both have contracts to the end of 2020, I think Vettel would almost certainly step away from F1 rather than take a 20-25mil pay cut to go back to Red Bull or someone else though. Verstappen could get a bump in wages and a potentially more competitive team. I think it will depend on how good Honda and RBR over the first half of next season.

Caporegime
I’m shocked people are saying this was a boring race. It’s Barcelona. Unless it rains it’s always been a poor race. The track is aero-dominated and therefore makes passing next to impossible. Without DRS there’s been races with only one or two passes. I certainly won’t be sobbing if it gets dropped.

Soldato
I’m shocked people are saying this was a boring race. It’s Barcelona. Unless it rains it’s always been a poor race. The track is aero-dominated and therefore makes passing next to impossible. Without DRS there’s been races with only one or two passes. I certainly won’t be sobbing if it gets dropped.
I share your sentiments. This track has rarely been an exciting one and I think it's more to do with the glamour of it being Barcelona than anything else.

Man of Honour
My wife wanted to go to the Monaco race. I talked her out of it, I honestly don’t see the point. Alright on a Sunday on the sofa with little to do, but not worth going to anymore.

Soldato

Why is that shocking? Surely it should be expected that people are saying it was a dull race

The race needs to be dropped. Get rid of Monaco too.

Back
Top Bottom