Spanish Matador gored to death

Man of Honour
When I was at uni on a trip to see a fellow student, studying abroad, it was decided by the group that they wanted to see a bullfight. I had no objections - I was quite keen, despite not being into hunting or any thing else of that sort. We all had romantic ideas of the cultural side of it I suppose.

I'm not sure what we expected, but it turns out that it is a really, really miserable experience - it's so obviously cruel that we all left after the second bull.

Ugh.

Caporegime
again no sympathy but being veggie i also dont eat half the bulls relatives after a trip to tesco

Oh look, a vegetarian pointing out that he's a vegetarian with a strong undertone of being a better person for not eating meat. Please sir, do tell us more.

Protip: when reading comments like this, it helps to have a bacon sammich to eat.

As for the matador, he got what was coming to him. You poke bears, you're gonna get mauled. Or bulls in this case. Cavemen.

Soldato
Oh look, a vegetarian pointing out that he's a vegetarian with a strong undertone of being a better person for not eating meat. Please sir, do tell us more.

Protip: when reading comments like this, it helps to have a bacon sammich to eat.

As for the matador, he got what was coming to him. You poke bears, you're gonna get mauled. Or bulls in this case. Cavemen.

nah had a lot of years eating meat before seeing inside a meat factory and going veggie ,but now you mention it i do feel a vastly better person now im not chomping dead flesh :)

Caporegime
nah had a lot of years eating meat before seeing inside a meat factory and going veggie ,but now you mention it i do feel a vastly better person now im not chomping dead flesh :)

Fair enough, each to their own. I could never be a veggie, I come from a country where the steaks are big and fresh, I've always loved a hood piece of meat and nothing will take that away from me.

That said, I do agree that the standards of slaughter and butchering leave a lot to be desired.

Soldato
As much as its not nice to kill animals, I'm not one for laughing at someone who was killed while his poor wife watched either. God knows why they can't just do the dance with the bull then let the bull go at the end.

Soldato
OTOH, consider this.

The Spanish fighting bulls are a specific breed raised specifically for the purpose.

They enjoy an exceptional quality of life up until the point they go into the ring. And while no bull survives the ring (Not sure if strictly true actually), at least they get to go down fighting rather than miserably standing in a queue waitng for ther turn with the captive bolt!

see http://www.aficionados-international.com/general-information/the-spanish-fighting-bull

The TL;DR bit is...

It is worth remembering that bulls which go on to appear in bullfights have a longer (and generally more privileged) life than almost any other cattle bred in the world. A bull bred for meat alone lives for only 18 months or so, whereas the toro de lidia lives for about 5 years on average.

There are two sides to every story

Soldato

What else did you expect to see at an abattoir though? Animal in, fast painless death, meat out.

I'm all for culture, but as byeo says above, why don't they just ditch the swords and after five/ten minutes, the show is over? No sympathy for them with the current way though.

Soldato
OTOH, consider this.

The Spanish fighting bulls are a specific breed raised specifically for the purpose.

They enjoy an exceptional quality of life up until the point they go into the ring. And while no bull survives the ring (Not sure if strictly true actually), at least they get to go down fighting rather than miserably standing in a queue waitng for ther turn with the captive bolt!

see http://www.aficionados-international.com/general-information/the-spanish-fighting-bull

The TL;DR bit is...

There are two sides to every story

Ah come on, they're basically stabbed to death for entertainment. It has no place in this day and age. Here's a link to counter your romanticised one ...

Last edited:
Soldato
What a shame. Watched this on tv whilst in spain and really couldnt see the point in it at all just seems cruel.

Altho my missus pointed out that i like to go fishing and she considers this to be cruel.

Moral of story - each to thier own

Back
Top Bottom