Spanish resorts overrun with tourists

Soldato

I haven't seen any discussion around this, apologies if I missed a thread.

The protesters want to reduce the influence of tourism, but it's tourism that brings in a lot of money.

Nobody is forcing them to stay there if they don't like the tourists being there.

I for one would not be happy with protesters squirting water at me while I'm supporting a local business by eating at a restaurant.

Yeah that happened one time. The other few million tourists it didn't happen to. But it's amusing so it gets repeated out of proportion.

It happened on several occasions IIRC.

Also reports of poo being smeared on the door locks of holiday lets. Maybe they don't have letter boxes.

Regardless of the fringe stuff, thousands turning out to protest and another one planned indicates that this is a growing movement.

That’s just it, they are targeting the wrong people. Cutting nose to spite face springs to mind.
I also see France are going to start charging us more for tourist spots.

I flat out refuse to go to countries that charge more to tourists, just makes you feel unwelcome.

Just stick Spain on the no go list for 6 months over summer see how they get on.

I doubt it even needs that, as this steps up and more join the movement then families will start to feel unsafe and no longer pick Spain as a place for their family holidays. I can't imagine it'll take a few years of derelict hotels and restaurants before the Spaniards are crying out for tourists to come back.

Tourism accounts for 13% of Spains GDP which is a huge amount. What's also interesting looking at the stats is Spains biggest economic category is "services" which accounts for things like commerce, tourism, transport, real estate, recreational. Those too will have a big knock on effect from loss of tourism.

It seems to me the bulk of the problem is the lack of housing for locals due to those with money brought up all the apartments to rent out to tourists.

I don’t think they are complaining the jobs tourism creates or the money it bring in. What they need to do is ban private apartment rental like Air BnB or create legislation to tighten the market, create licences and more strict rules for landlord to jump through. Of course it will cause hotel prices to skyrocket but locals wouldn’t care about that and it will immediately lower the number of tourists due to the cost of hotels.

I doubt it even needs that, as this steps up and more join the movement then families will start to feel unsafe and no longer pick Spain as a place for their family holidays. I can't imagine it'll take a few years of derelict hotels and restaurants before the Spaniards are crying out for tourists to come back.

Tourism accounts for 13% of Spains GDP which is a huge amount. What's also interesting looking at the stats is Spains biggest economic category is "services" which accounts for things like commerce, tourism, transport, real estate, recreational. Those too will have a big knock on effect from loss of tourism.
Bingo!

That’s it in a nutshell for me, 1 summer where they don’t get this influx of money and they’ll be knackered.

I also see France are going to start charging us more for tourist spots.

I flat out refuse to go to countries that charge more to tourists, just makes you feel unwelcome.
Lol never go to India then. There are literally separate queues for locals and tourists; and the tourist price can be as high as 20x

How have we become so intolerant of each other?

Both tourist hating locals, and tourists being inconsiderate to the locals.

So much global disdain, everywhere you look.
In this case it seems more that people are sick of housing shortages etc, I think it's less about the tourists themselves.

But generally people have always been intolerant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom