Spec me a £20 bread knife from Amazon

Commissario
My current bread knife hacks through the loaf, creating far too many crumbs.

I have a £20 Amazon voucher.

What's the best bread knife I can get on Amazon for that twenty quid?

/edit - I've ordered the Victorinox, it'll be here tomorrow. Thanks all.

Ta.

Soldato
That is a pretty knife.

That looks bland compared to the one above the the longer length is tempting.

I'm still undecided though, any other comments on the above or other suggestions?

If it helps he also bought me the Chef Knife with the above as a combo, I've been baking a lot of bread of late and cooking. I got my bro' into it so he wanted to give me something in return.

I really, really like the knives.

Soldato
I was going to say look at raikiris suggestions from cutting crusty bread thread, if I rememeber right , he beat me to it. - his food pics speak for themselves

victorinox get good reviews for their value ... and their santoku, i have, is till going strong.

Associate
We've got the Rockingham forge 5" Santoku, twice. Was so impressed with the first, bought a second for us, and another for my parents. I don't think it's the hardest steel, so have sharpened it a few times, but based on these I'd happily get more from their range for the price. Except possibly a serrated bread knfe as that would be harder to re-sharpen. Although it's a bread knife, it may not (k)need (sorry, sorry) it.

Caporegime
What do you suggest then? I’m tending towards the Victorinox one at the moment (although I don’t understand the difference between the bread and the pastry one).
I just use a terribly sharp knife I'd use to cut vegetables like tomatoes.

manage just fine, but my loaves are from a bread maker so might be a bit smaller than whatever your baking.

Soldato
What do you suggest then? I’m tending towards the Victorinox one at the moment (although I don’t understand the difference between the bread and the pastry one).

Pastry one is a little longer and slightly thinner, makes it easier to cut in one motion so you're not sawing away at it. I'm a chef, we use one and cut through probably 40+ ciabatta loafs and 100+ pitta breads daily.

Also yeah, the Rockingham Forge one is definitely prettier, but it's a tool. When you're spending £20 funtionality comes first imo. If you're spendning £200 then you can worry about aesthetics.

gEd

gEd

Associate
Victorinox

My mum bought me a complete Victorinox set several years ago, complete with wooden storage block.
Initially I was a tad "disappointed" as they looked a bit meh with their plain plastic handles and I already have a global block with multiple global knives...(so yes, now I have 2 x knife blocks)

However I've been really impressed with the Victorinox knives. They're made of really good steel and hold a sharp edge really well. Plus you can throw them in the dishwasher. The bread knife is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom