Spec me a Barbecue

Each to their own. The world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. ;)

Personally I'm not a whisky drinker, but love the sweet smell on the BBQ. I've go to trim my apple trees so I might give that a go.

Absolutely :)

I quite like misting my meat (so to speak) with orange/apple juice whilst it's BBQing. End up with such a tasty sweet/smoky outer. Nom nom.

I own this BBQ

http://store.makro.co.uk/p-31055-tarrington-house-texas-adjustable-grill.aspx

It has a removable bucket for easy ash disposal (the BBQW has a hole in the bottom, so you just brush it down the hole)

The BBQ lid has a built in thermometer so you can check when its at the ideal temp. Shelves both sides to put your buns/meat utensils etc.

Wheels so you can move it easily.

Bottom tray is adjustable up and down so you can move the heat closer/further from the meat you are cooking!

989156_10152858454280533_350266379_o_zps7155165a.jpg

This does look a little weathered, but it has lasted me 3 years with very regular BBQ's in the summer. Hell I'm on my third this week!

Last edited:
The premium one one touch with the cleaning bit is worth it imo, for instance yesterday i was at a mates having a quick grill and he has the one with just the tray dust catcher, anyway, every time the coals fall through and its windy you get it blown all over the place

I can echo this, my decking looks like it has spots where small embers have dropped out, noticed it this weekend when spending 6 hours jetwashing it inch by inch, about 8m x 4m in total immensely boring :(

Having oil/fat/sauce land on the coal isn't actually a bad thing as the smoke given off helps add a nice flavour to the food. Some people get a bit of cheap mince or some other low quality/cheap meat and leave it over the coals whilst the rest of the food cooks indirectly. You waste that bit of meat but the other meat benefits from the additional smoke.

Personally I tend to just use wood chunks. I've only properly tried applewood and mesquite with any kind of frequency. I've found applewood to be the best so far. You don't absolutely need the wood chunks/chips but they can definitely improve certain dishes.

When you say wood chunks, you mean burn it with the coal?

Won't that create a constant flame? Like a log fire and burn the food?

When you say wood chunks, you mean burn it with the coal?

Won't that create a constant flame? Like a log fire and burn the food?

If you've got the lid closed generally you won't have flames (flames are bad in this case). Alternatively, some people wrap the wood chunks in foil with a few holes poked in it to starve the wood of oxygen so that it smoulders rather than ignites. Ignore anyone that tells you to soak your wood chunks :)

edit: unless it's some kind of chat-up line of course

Last edited:
Where are we in the process of deciding what Raymond is going to end up buying?

Just to wade in I've always enjoyed BBQing on the Weber onetouch BBQ's, great for cooking on, take all sorts of abuse/miss treatment from us forgetting to put it away properly and generally easy enough to clean. The upgrades might be worth the extra cash but from my own experience the UK lacks enough good BBQ weather for a massive outlay when the basic 57cm model does a fantastic job :)

Is fat smoke really bad? Or is it as posted earlier when it is okay if you're not "drowning" the food in it (i.e. you have it open-top whilst the fat smoke is going crazy)? I'm not trying to be funny - genuinely interested to hear your experiences with it :)

If your cooking with direct heat it's fine as it catches light and gives you that nice flame grilled look and taste, if you put the lid on it just smokes as it doesn't catch fire just turns into a smoke fest.

These are interesting

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/...ire-grilling-cooking.html#twozoneindirectfire

http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/07/how-to-turn-your-kettle-grill-into-a-smoker.html?ref=obinsite

Just saw them in person, OMG the 57 is enormous! Wish the 47cm one has the thermometer and ash tray though.

I've got the 47 cm one, and unless your are REALLY into your barbequing, then the 47 is fine. If you, like me, just grill the odd burger, chicken, sausages, etc, then its the perfect BBQ and its small enough to easily store in the shed. I rarely cook for more than 6 people either so its pretty much perfect for me. True its a little bit more onerous to clean out, but I can live with that given the price leap for the other models.

I just got a very cheap kettle bbq to start with. I paid 18 quid for it, think it was from Tesco. It's fine for cooking for 4 people, build quality is pretty naff but it's works and I don't plan on keeping it very long. I have used it to do burgers, ribs (slow smoked indirect over coals and hickory chips), kebabs, wings, corn on cob etc.

Eventually I will get a Weber as they are built to last but ultimately the Weber will not make your food taste any better! It's also worth thinking about just how many times we get to BBQ in the UK....

I've got the 47 cm one, and unless your are REALLY into your barbequing, then the 47 is fine. If you, like me, just grill the odd burger, chicken, sausages, etc, then its the perfect BBQ and its small enough to easily store in the shed. I rarely cook for more than 6 people either so its pretty much perfect for me. True its a little bit more onerous to clean out, but I can live with that given the price leap for the other models.

That's what I am thinking, 47cm is plenty big enough. I mean a disposable one cooks enough food for 2 so the 47cm is a bit too big in terms of capacity for me personally.

It can't be to big, you need space for indirect grilling, and even if direct grilling, you need space for a cool area to pull stuff of.

If you are going to do rubbish English bbq then save the money and buy a £20 bbq with no lid or anything else. If your interested in bbq then get a 57cm kettle.
It doesn't mean you have to fill the whole thing up with charcoal.

And as said you can bbq all year round. BBQing doesn't mean you have to sit outside.

Are gas barbecues any good compared to coal? I'm also in need of a barbecue and gas sounds a lot easier and quicker to me but wondered if it would taste as good etc?

Are gas barbecues any good compared to coal? I'm also in need of a barbecue and gas sounds a lot easier and quicker to me but wondered if it would taste as good etc?

They are gay you may as well use your grill in your oven. Man make fire and cook over coal not over gas rings that's for woman.

Everyone with one will tell you they are the best thing since the invention of the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom