Spec me a car, fed up of fixing 10 year old ones.

Associate
it would be hard to say it is the 'best' but it's certainly a good engine. shame they no longer make them as I would have a new one in a heartbeat.

Found this on pistonheads.

So all those german cars on the side of the motorway must have had a lesser engine as PD's are well known for being very reliable.

another thread on honest john.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=110492

You could say the same about a 40 yr old diesel merc, it doesn't mean you should go out and buy one.

Permabanned
You could say the same about a 40 yr old diesel merc, it doesn't mean you should go out and buy one.
Why not? If it’s a good car for a good price why wouldn’t you buy it. Or is it the case of if it’s newer it’s better.

I have a car that happens to be good on fuel, quick enough and has never let me down why would I be interested in anything else?

Soldato
Cheap german sheds = 2001 Polo 16v

1.9TDI probably best engine ever made, loads have seen 400k+ milage

Except this whole post is here because all the german cars you are buying are costing you an arm and a leg in costs to keep them on the road .......surely making them sheds!

The reason for the problems is the age of the car when you are getting in to it, not the engine as such, except you did mention turbo issues so that is related. Everything else that's costing you a lot is all wear and tear parts....generally speaking.

If you like the engines, and the cars you are driving, then just put more money in to getting a newer version of said cars with less miles on them, simple.

Back
Top Bottom