Spec me a car, fed up of fixing 10 year old ones.

Permabanned
Brought a Fabia Vrs 6 years ago for £2600 and it’s never broke down on me and only ever needing to replace parts due to wear and tear.

Buying a car is always a gamble and you can have more expensive issues with a newer depending on your luck I guess.

I work in the trade and quite often see new cars having major work as in gearboxes and engine replacements. I’d rather swap an engine in my 14 year old car than a new one.

Associate
OP
Brought a Fabia Vrs 6 years ago for £2600 and it’s never broke down on me and only ever needing to replace parts due to wear and tear.

Buying a car is always a gamble and you can have more expensive issues with a newer depending on your luck I guess.

I work in the trade and quite often see new cars having major work as in gearboxes and engine replacements. I’d rather swap an engine in my 14 year old car than a new one.
1.9 tdi's never die

Associate
OP
what on earth are you doing to them ! :D
my cars have cost me between 3-5K , all been ok, current one, cost me 5K , 5 years later still going strong, just the usual brakes/tyres/oil

List of cars I've had

MK4 1.9 TDI PD
Audi A3 2.0 TDI PD
Another Audi A3 2.0 TDI PD
Seat Leon FR 2.0 TDI PPD
Passat CC 2.0 TDI CR

all of them seem to constantly break, wheel bearings, bushes, mounts, shocks, turbos.

Gearbox's and engines have been great, apart from the CR which ALMOST had an oil pump failure.

j

Soldato
List of cars I've had

MK4 1.9 TDI PD
Audi A3 2.0 TDI PD
Another Audi A3 2.0 TDI PD
Seat Leon FR 2.0 TDI PPD
Passat CC 2.0 TDI CR

all of them seem to constantly break, wheel bearings, bushes, mounts, shocks, turbos.

Gearbox's and engines have been great, apart from the CR which ALMOST had an oil pump failure.

j
Except for turbos everything else on the list is a wear item... what mileage are you doing and how high mileage are these cars when you get them?

Soldato
DomBruv said:
...all of them seem to constantly break, wheel bearings, bushes, mounts, shocks, turbos

DomBruv said:
There around 90-110k and I'm doing around 7-10k a year.

If replacing consumable items at 90K+ is something you object to, perhaps car ownership isn't for you? What about a maintained lease/car club/public transport? Besides once you've replaced those items with OE quality parts, unless they are faulty or incorrectly fitted, they usually won't need to be replaced again for many, many years at that sort of annual mileage, and most of those items are cheap/easy fixes (excluding turbo).

Associate
OP
How comes your preference is Diesel, when your not doing higher mileage? I would personally go petrol for the next car.

Yeah I was thinking this tbh but I just can't decide what,

and there are a few reasons why I always go for the VW TDI tbh.

I'm not doing massive miles at the moment, but i plan to travel around England with the bike a lot this and next year.

Soldato
Yeah I was thinking this tbh but I just can't decide what,

and there are a few reasons why I always go for the VW TDI tbh.

I'm not doing massive miles at the moment, but i plan to travel around England with the bike a lot this and next year.

Diesels are more complex and have issues if not used properly. Buy a simple non turbo petrol.

Soldato
There around 90-110k and I'm doing around 7-10k a year.
So around the mileage range that you would expect wear and tear parts to need replacing ;) I think we have found our problem.

Also go petrol, and go N/A, removes turbos from the equation and even on long journey's they perform just as well as diesels. I do roughly 8k miles per year, 90% of those around town, and hit 40mpg average per tank. I drive a Honda civic 1.8.

Associate
OP
So around the mileage range that you would expect wear and tear parts to need replacing ;) I think we have found our problem.

Also go petrol, and go N/A, removes turbos from the equation and even on long journey's they perform just as well as diesels. I do roughly 8k miles per year, 90% of those around town, and hit 40mpg average per tank. I drive a Honda civic 1.8.
Could not be seen in of those mate there ugly, and I will want some power.

... unless it was an EK9 with BKD lump + a 2260 :p

Permabanned
But equally you want reliability - you can't have it both ways? (Because buying tired old german rep mobiles has worked well)

As for power 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs are hardly the last word in power?
They have enough power for our roads unless you want willy waving numbers. More importantly their balance of power to fuel economy ratio takes some beating.

Back
Top Bottom