Spec me a car for ~£5000

Soldato
Joined
6 Dec 2002
Posts
3,398
Location
North East
After moving back home to now travel to university instead. I've decided to get a car, the problem is choosing what car to get.

I'll be doing a 70 mile round trip about 4 days a week plus some shorter journeys on the other days, to my girlfriends (only about 16miles round trip)

The question is what car to get and for that amount of money?

Not going to be buying private, so will be trade from a reputable garage, hopefully with some sort of warranty.

Cars in mind:-

Ford Focus
VW Golf
Peugeot 206
Any other suggestions?

Not sure on the engines front, I mean I know that a 1.4 HDi fits into the £50 a year fuel tax aswell producing about 60mpg which is rather impressive! Could only get that on the 206 tho for that price. Not sure if I could get a TDCi focus for that kind of money or if it would be a dog.

Insurance group wise, keep it low, can't decide on petrol or diesel but need good economy. :)

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome
BeatMaster :D
 
Man of Honour
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
159,858
You are spending £5000 and you care whether tax is £50 or £100 a year?

Damn..

Buying reliable car privately > Buying a 206 from a dealer with a warranty.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
6 Dec 2002
Posts
3,398
Location
North East
[TW]Fox said:
You are spending £5000 and you care whether tax is £50 or £100 a year?

Damn..

Buying reliable car privately > Buying a 206 from a dealer with a warranty.

Well okay the tax isn't really an issue, just a point to make. Wasn't too keen on the 206 idea, I've heard stories of them falling apart so not that keen to be honest :p

BeatMaster :D
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
6 Dec 2002
Posts
3,398
Location
North East
VW Golf's seem overpriced, Focus seems the most sensible solution. Couldn't decide between a 1.6 or a TDCi, theres the whole debate on economy and whether its worth the premium and such.

BeatMaster :D
 
Soldato
Joined
15 Feb 2003
Posts
8,327
Location
NJ/NY, USA
Dare I mention the Mondeo word?!

You've not specifically said it must be small, although the other's you have listed are smaller.

Early Mk3s are easilly within budget and you'll get much more for your money than a similarly aged/priced focus.

Also ideal for the 70 mile roundtrips assuming you'll just be driving on normal roads and not hooning it around B roads - and even then they're not too bad.

Probably a slim budget to find a TDCi model, but the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol aren't that bad on fuel economy if driven sensibly.

Insurance shouldn't be much more than on a focus.

Servicing and parts pretty cheap through Rapidfit, whilch you'll find at most Ford dealers.
 
Soldato
Joined
16 Aug 2004
Posts
6,327
Location
New Jersey, USA
You can't get a 1.6 TDCi for your budget, can you?

It'd be a previous shape Focus for £5k, and trying to find a decent 1.8 TDCi Focus fo that money isn't going to be easy.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
6 Dec 2002
Posts
3,398
Location
North East
OllyM said:
You can't get a 1.6 TDCi for your budget, can you?

It'd be a previous shape Focus for £5k, and trying to find a decent 1.8 TDCi Focus fo that money isn't going to be easy.

They don't do a 1.6 TDCi, only a 1.8 TDCi to the best of my knowledge. However I think the 1.6 petrol seems the best all round compromise :)

Looks like I'll be going searching for a Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec/Ghia/Edge for around the £5,000 mark.

Cheers ppl,

BeatMaster :D
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
5,661
Location
Ledbury
BeatMaster said:
Never really considered SEAT or the Bora. How are they for reliability and importantly insurance groups?

BeatMaster :D

Only problem with the 1.6's is the coil packs can go, but they're cheap and quick to replace, and might have been done already anyway :)

Personally i'd far rather have a VAG car than a Ford, but i have a strange hatred for Ford ;)

Go and have a look at a few, personally i looked at the Focus but could never put up with the 'interesting' interior.


Insurance groups are:
1.6 = Grp6
1.9 = Grp7
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
6 Jul 2003
Posts
2,543
PeterNem said:
Dare I mention the Mondeo word?!

You've not specifically said it must be small, although the other's you have listed are smaller.

Early Mk3s are easilly within budget and you'll get much more for your money than a similarly aged/priced focus.

Also ideal for the 70 mile roundtrips assuming you'll just be driving on normal roads and not hooning it around B roads - and even then they're not too bad.

Probably a slim budget to find a TDCi model, but the 1.8 or 2.0 petrol aren't that bad on fuel economy if driven sensibly.

Insurance shouldn't be much more than on a focus.

Servicing and parts pretty cheap through Rapidfit, whilch you'll find at most Ford dealers.

Tax on the petrol models is now £190 :( which would put him off I imagine :p
 
Soldato
Joined
11 Aug 2003
Posts
6,344
Location
Essex
Another vote for a 1.6 Focus, if you really care about economy, a newish Fiesta 1.25 are good.

are you sure you dont want to buy private? Pretty sure you can get a newer/better specced model for the money.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
6 Dec 2002
Posts
3,398
Location
North East
UPDATE:

Went and test drove the Ford Focus 1.6 Edge and Ford Focus TDCi Edge.

Verdict:

Ford Focus 1.6 Edge
Very nice, smooth and as you would expect, pokey enough :)

Ford Focus TDCi Edge
Even better! Engine has the umpff u'd expect and a lovely drive :cool:

My heart says TDCi, my brain says 1.6. I'd been doing about 300miles a week for 24 weeks so would be averaging around 12,000 ish a year.

I'm so confused on what to do though, so many options!

I could:
(a) Spend around £2000-3000 and get something say W or X reg
(b) Spend a bit more say £5000 and get maybe a Ford Focus 1.6 on say a Y plate
(c) Spend a little bit more say £6000 and get maybe a Ford Focus on a 5x or 0x plate with a 1.6
(d) Spend around £7000 and get the Ford Focus TDCi
(e) Something completely different

I basically need a car for travelling down to uni 4 out of 5 days a week for 24 weeks come September 06 till June 07. Then it would be used for my placement from June 06 to July 07. What do you reckon I should do?

BeatMaster :D
 
Back
Top Bottom