Spec me a closed headphones

Soldato
I need closed back headphones for my office at work (Boy I wish I could get away with open back!)

So far I've got (driven from a couple of USB DACs and a FiiO E09K)
Beyer DT770 - 250ohm
Senn HD598C
Senn Momentum 2 Over Ear
Sony XBA-N1AP in-ears
Audio Technica MSR7

And the ones I'd recommend??

Actually my new favs that trump all my others for me are the Sony WH-1000XM2's.. over ear, noise cancelling, £250...

I have to say these (a late XMas pressie from the Mrs) have been brilliant, they sound fun/dynamic with all music genre's and have a wide sound stage, excellent imaging/separation/clarity for a closed back headphone and even the NC is really good now I have it (The ambient mode is a revelation). Even though they sound good wired, I'm using them wireless and they've been exemplary using LDAC or APTX (Pixel 2 XL).

I never thought I'd recommend this type of headphone, especially wireless and NC? that seems redundant for most people, but the thing I like is the wireless using LDAC/APTX gives you a decent enough 'DAC' that is consistent, so no extra DAC/AMP required and the Noise Cancelling adds a bit more clarity when in a noisy office, you don't realise until you toggle NC off/on and realise how much background 'hum' is actually eating in to the music.

I was on the verge of going up a notch and looking at getting some Massdrop TH-X00's or maybe some closed back planar magnetics but having sampled a couple of notable headphones I was left a little underwhelmed when cost was factored in.

Associate
OP
I need closed back headphones for my office at work (Boy I wish I could get away with open back!)

So far I've got (driven from a couple of USB DACs and a FiiO E09K)
Beyer DT770 - 250ohm
Senn HD598C
Senn Momentum 2 Over Ear
Sony XBA-N1AP in-ears
Audio Technica MSR7

And the ones I'd recommend??

Actually my new favs that trump all my others for me are the Sony WH-1000XM2's.. over ear, noise cancelling, £250...

I have to say these (a late XMas pressie from the Mrs) have been brilliant, they sound fun/dynamic with all music genre's and have a wide sound stage, excellent imaging/separation/clarity for a closed back headphone and even the NC is really good now I have it (The ambient mode is a revelation). Even though they sound good wired, I'm using them wireless and they've been exemplary using LDAC or APTX (Pixel 2 XL).

I never thought I'd recommend this type of headphone, especially wireless and NC? that seems redundant for most people, but the thing I like is the wireless using LDAC/APTX gives you a decent enough 'DAC' that is consistent, so no extra DAC/AMP required and the Noise Cancelling adds a bit more clarity when in a noisy office, you don't realise until you toggle NC off/on and realise how much background 'hum' is actually eating in to the music.

I was on the verge of going up a notch and looking at getting some Massdrop TH-X00's or maybe some closed back planar magnetics but having sampled a couple of notable headphones I was left a little underwhelmed when cost was factored in.

Them Sony are like £330 i think ill pass atm I'm leaning towards Beyer 770 80ohm LE

Back
Top Bottom