Spec me a Drill

Associate
Need a drill for erecting a fence and will be building a large shed soon.

Just a casual DIY person but like tools do do the job.

What do you recommend?

Associate
Do you want cordless?

The Stanley Fatmax drill can regularly be had for under 100 quid.
Its a combi drill and comes with 2 batteries. Had mine a while. I do a lot of
DIY for family and friends and its never let me down.

Also depends on budget.

Soldato
For that I'd get a cordless drill with screwdriver capability too. I would look at 18V or 21V Li-ion batteries. If you're doing a lot of work in one go then go for a 2 or 4Ah batter. Having two means you can charge one whilst the other is in use. Quite often they will recharge in an hour.

I would suggest going for a known brand and small dimensions - this means you can use it one handed and get into all those difficult spaces to screw and drill. Having a light to illuminate the place you're drilling is ultra handy.

If you're screwing large amounts and can get away without pre-drilling then a impact screw driver maybe worth a look too.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
I've got the Makita, although with paint splattered on it. Love the 3.0Ah battery. Only had to charge it 3 or 4 times in the year I've had it. Used it from drilling holes in hard brick walls, putting up shelves and mixing paint. Got mine from wickes in a deal where i got a free accessories pack. Masonry bits were a little soft, bu as they were free I can't complain much.

Soldato
I bought a Titan drill and impact driver combo set from Screwfix in Jan. It's been a godsend for dismantling & re-building a 12x8ft shed that was constructed from innumerable 8x2 timbers. How I ever managed without an impact driver is beyond me and the fact that the batteries are interchangeable and have a 30 min charge is great. I won't be drilling concrete with it (I use a corded drill for when I need real grunt) but for things like sheds and the picket fence I also put up, the cordless option is amazing.
I also bought a drill holster (£5 from Screwfix) which is fantastic. No more “Where did I put the drill? Oh, just out of reach. Typical! *rage*” moments. :)

Soldato
For wood, I've found a 10.8v twin set to be perfect for DIY - loft boarding, shed building etc. YMMV, but I've a mains drill for masonry, so just dig that out if I need a bit more grunt.

An 18v combi will be better for masonry/metal, but heavier and you'll need to change bits if drilling pilot holes, then driving screws. With a twin set you can have both ready to go. Obviously you can get an 18v twin pack, but these are more expensive usually.

I've a makita set which comes with a 10.8v combi (though it's slow work for masonry, it's ok if you've only a couple of holes to do - ie a shelf) and impact driver. This range has been updated I believe.

The hitachi set is on offer at screwfix and looks a good buy, though I've not used it before, the 18v range gets a good write up.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-k...-cordless-twin-pack-drill-impact-driver/57847

If you look around, the Makita, Bosch and Dewalt sets are normally sub £150 if of interest.

One other thing to look out for is the price of replacement batteries - may seem a small thing if you go through drills regularly, but I can see the batteries being the biggest weakness for a diyer and it would be a shame to throw away a good as the batteries are uneconomically expensive to replace.

Associate

Good choice, now you have a drill and 2 batteries, treat yourself to an impact driver. They can be picked up for about £70 as a bare tool and are well worth having. Once you have one you will wonder how you got by without one before hand!

I recently bought this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...-twin-pack-combi-drill-impact-driver-xr/78457

Though I got the drill and 2 batteries for just over £100 and then bought the impact driver for £65. A pretty decent saving even though I didn't get the Tstack box.

Dave

Soldato
I got the £160 Dewalt twin pack couple of weeks ago.

Spent about 30 mins trying to drive screws into decking with a old 14v nicad job and got rage and went to Screwfix.

The impact driver was completely effortless to work with, great tool.

Back
Top Bottom