Spec me a fantasy fiction series

Associate
You're not wrong, though I did enjoy the story I'm not sure I could ever recommend them to anyone lol.

I too enjoyed them a lot. However, if people have not read Donaldson's other fantasy series (well, only two books) they really are missing out:

Mordants Need: The Mirror of her Dreams and a Man Rides Through.

Two of the best fantasty books ever written imo; up there with GRRM.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I would +1 Raymond E Feist (personally I prefer the * of the Empire trilogy to the original Magician books ... although I have them too). Also Terry Brooks and Anne McCaffery (although the latter is more Sci-fi)

Magician is amazing series. One of my favorites.

Soldato
I too enjoyed them a lot. However, if people have not read Donaldson's other fantasy series (well, only two books) they really are missing out:

Mordants Need: The Mirror of her Dreams and a Man Rides Through.

Two of the best fantasty books ever written imo; up there with GRRM.

Yeah, mordants need is an entertaining read, though I did get a little frustrated at the some of the main characters; you know, like when you shout at the woman in the horror movie who's going to check that noise in the basement .... I mean, come on, everyone can see the bad news bears coming from a mile off, yet, noooo off the blunders down the stairs even after discovering the light switch is broken.

Worth a read? absolutely.

To add to the list: The complete chronicles of conan (centenary edition) - all of R E Howards conan stories all in one unabridged volume. One of his other characters Solomon Kane is also worth checking out, though there is not the crushing volume of work like Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Tad Williams books of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. are pretty good too.

Soldato
Bit of a bump from another thread, and agree on lots of the above series, I would add the Earthsea books by Ursula Le Guin, probably the very first books I read in this genre that got me hooked when I was 10/11. Then moved onto the Tolkien and Eddings series followed by pretty much everything already mentioned above.

Associate
Bit of a bump from another thread, and agree on lots of the above series, I would add the Earthsea books by Ursula Le Guin, probably the very first books I read in this genre that got me hooked when I was 10/11. Then moved onto the Tolkien and Eddings series followed by pretty much everything already mentioned above.

Snap with the Earthsea books at the same age followed by lotr! Really fired the imagination!

Soldato
Tad Williams books of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. are pretty good too.

That reminds me :p
No-one has mentioned the Otherland series yet- This is far, far, far superior to Memory, Sorrow and Thorn & I think is absolutely his best work.
It's again got the almost SF 'problem', but absolute, utter genius books :)

His most recent pure fantasy series is Shadowmarch, which is a little better than Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, not least beacause he's had twenty years more writing experience :p

-Leezer-

Back
Top Bottom