Spec me a Folding Box :)

Associate
So might be better just getting a Q9450 and changing graphics card?

Currently have a GeForce 8800GTS (old version) so could probably get good price on eBay for it.

Soldato
OP
I'm not well versed on the graphics card folding, last time I heard was you needed to dedicate one CPU core to manage the card client. Not sure if this has changed, I'm sure someone will give you a better answer. :)

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I'm not well versed on the graphics card folding, last time I heard was you needed to dedicate one CPU core to manage the card client. Not sure if this has changed, I'm sure someone will give you a better answer. :)

Even if you did GPU's fold considerably faster than CPU's do.

Soldato
OP
I think I've settled on the spec now and just waiting for the Q9450 to come out. Mid-March I think. I have a couple of days off work so I'll be able to take my time on the build and mess around with Ubuntu. Touch wood I wont run into any serious issues with the graphics card and wifi adapter drivers.

I'll take some pictures of the build if I remember. Cheers again for the help, I might have a couple of questions about coolers closer the time. :)

Associate
Cool :) That's at least three of us (Cob, yourself and I) that will use the power of Yorkfield :) Just wish the waiting was over, there seems to be no news on when its going to be available :(

Soldato
OP
Right the wheels are in motion now. Just ordered a few parts:

• 2GB 800mhz G.Skill RAM
  • Antec 4480 case + PSU
  • Two low-noise case fans
  • Thermalright Ultima 90 + 92mm Akasa Fan
  • 8400 GS
  • A few misc cables

That lot should come before weekend over which I'll swap out the rear stock fan and add the front intake. Hopefully the heatsink and fan will fit nicely in the case but that'll only become apparent when I get the motherboard. Hopefully I've not dropped a clanger and bought something that won't fit.

Then its just a case of waiting for the Q9450 to filter through at which point I'll grab the rest of the parts. Should be good. I'm looking forward to having a fiddle with Ubuntu Linux (although I'm sure the novelty will go flying out the window after about half an hour) :)

Soldato
OP
I missed the delivery on Friday so the stuff came today. Had a day off anyway. :)

The new fans are installed although I nearly threw away the mounting screws and pin adapters. I also sliced my thumb on a really nasty rough finish on one of the screws. :(

The heatsink looks more complicated to mount than I thought but it should be fine. Just waiting for the Q9450 stock to appear now and then I can order a motherboard, optical drive, hard drive etc and complete the build.

The case is actually really good for the price. I wouldnt say it was spacious inside but its certainly not bad.

Fingers crossed for the CPU.

Soldato
OP
Could anyone recommend me a good motherboard? My remaining shopping list is as follows:

• Q9450
  • Sony DVD-RW
  • 320GB Hitachi HD
  • Abit IP-35 "Dark Raider" iP35 Express

I just wondered if this board was good enough or anyone could suggest something better for the same price (£70-80).

I'm not going to be clocking the nuts off the CPU but I'd like to squeeze a little more out of it. It would be criminal not to. I think the multi is 8.5 on the CPU. Would 400*8.5 (3400Mhz) be too much to ask? Running 24/7 ideally as uptime and stability is more important than the overclock.

Soldato
Out of interest, why do people buy computers aimed at idealy for folding?
I can understand folding on your pc when your harly using it (web browsing etc).

I'm new to this btw :p

Thanks

Associate
Out of interest, why do people buy computers aimed at idealy for folding?
I can understand folding on your pc when your harly using it (web browsing etc).

I'm new to this btw :p

Thanks

There was a thread not too long ago that gave a list of reasons. Can't seem to find it at the moment :(

theheys, the multi is 8 so you would get 3200 per core for 400 FSB and should be your minimum aim at most boards should do it easily. You might want to have a look at the OcUK board, there is a big thread on the mobo section that can show you that you will get a decent clock :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers for that Yeggstry, I'll check it out later. :)

IRT Chadd, the real hard cores build boxes to simply generate more points/science and, I suspect, an excuse to buy the latest hardware.

The new build in question is going to be used for a variety of functions. I'm going to be doing a lot of video encoding so I need a powerful processor. I also want a box to archive some of the bigger files I don't want taking up space on my laptop. I also don't mind doing a bit of folding (and other medical science DC projects) so that can go on there too. All these factors influence the build. As its going to be left on I might try to make it a media server too, or even a box to record CCTV. The possibilities are great.

This new box will also give me a chance to have a play with Linux. Sure, I could do everything cheaper by backing up to a few DVDs and leaving a slower box encoding overnight, but I haven't done a new build for a while so I'm spending a little on one of my hobbies. Part of the fun. :)

Soldato
OP
/sigh

The Q9450 situation is annoying me. They're proving to be as common as rocking horse poo.

I'm wondering now whether to go for a Q6600. It's a thoroughly decent chip, available now and is a chunk of change cheaper. I might have a look for some Q6600 vs Q9450 threads.

*scratches head* :(

Soldato
Buy a MM Q6600 now and get your machine up and running (if OCing it, you may not want a yorkfiled) - then sell the Q6600 and buy the Q9450 a month after release. Best of both and with only a net loss of £20ish on the Q6600 and possably a saving on the Q9450 too.

Just my 2p worth

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers SS, it's just a pain taking a few days off work (not just to do this, but it was on my to-do list while I had the time) and be waiting on one component. I'm sure SiriusB has an E6400 lying around iirc from when he got a Quad - I might see if I can get him to loan it out. :D Its an option.

I'm just wondering about the Q9450. Yeah, more efficient and slightly faster clock for clock (+ whatever SSE4 might bring) but I'm wondering if its going to be worth the extra cash. SSE4 (potentially) could shred through the video encoding and maybe folding work units in the future. But on the flip side, the Q6600 is going to be a big improvement over the current E6300 @ 2.5Ghz anyway.

Decisions decisions. I suppose I could get the Q6600 and when the E6300 becomes a bit long in the tooth drop the Quad in there and replace it with a Penryn. But by then Nehalem will be out (albeit with a new socket).

Bleh, I might just wait a couple of weeks and stick to the original plan.

(I changed my mind about three times writing this post)

Back
Top Bottom