Spec me a Folding Box :)

Soldato
OP
It's in, on, whatever, folding as we speak on WinSMP for now. What a pain that was. Seems to be going well though - full load temps @ stock 35 - 42 degrees. Is a 7-8 degree variation between core within normal range or is that a bit dodgy?

Soldato
It's in, on, whatever, folding as we speak on WinSMP for now. What a pain that was. Seems to be going well though - full load temps @ stock 35 - 42 degrees. Is a 7-8 degree variation between core within normal range or is that a bit dodgy?

I have a 9 degree variation between my hottest and coolest cores 57 - 66 degrees currently @ 2.7 GHz on my Q6600 so I'd hope that was fairly normal :o

Cob

Cob

Soldato
The IHS probably isn't flat (which is normal). I had an 11c difference between core 0 and 3 before I lapped it. Doing so got the difference down to 3-4c.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys. I dont know how good CoreTemp is but it's showing my cores at 17-25C at about 50% load (333*9) - either the sensor is a bit squiffy or a cold conservatory helps a lot! :D

I've got some pics I'll post tomorrow when I have time. I'm all PC'd out today. :)

Soldato
OP
Its called an hour trying to get WinSMP to work (never did manage it) and then installing VMServer + Ubuntu (2 processors). I'm going to see how things go before I set up the second VM. :)

Can't believe how easy it was to get going in Linux. Just download, make it executable, and run. It was almost TOO easy...

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Would you be willing to take part in a little experiment before installing the 2nd copy of Ubuntu? It will require an empty USB pen of atleast 256mb.

Soldato
The IHS probably isn't flat (which is normal). I had an 11c difference between core 0 and 3 before I lapped it. Doing so got the difference down to 3-4c.

same here - also the load temps seem very low. What are your clocks? Are u using coretemp 0.96.1??

Soldato
OP
I'm using 0.97.1. :)

They're actually up toward 32-38 now its been running a while which seems more plausible. Its running at 333*9 so 3Ghz. And bear in mind it can only be 10-15C in the conservatory tops as it's not heated so its a bit chilly - perfect computer room (until the summer). I usually use TAT but downloaded CoreTemp as a few people on here seem to use it.

edit - I bet speedstep is enabled too. That would have made a big difference. Must remember to turn that off.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
It's just something I came across earlier today, but am unable to fully test as I can't install a x64 VM on my E2180. It seems to have been around for years, but I've never seen it mentioned.

Basically it's a dedicated Folding linux live CD, that saves the current downloaded WU to a USB drive. It doesn't need a VMWare hard drive as it's not installed.

I originally came across it in this thread over at the Folding Forum (post 4 or 5). It's official thread is over on the Tech Report forum here.

You'll need to make a new folder, and then download this VMWare file to it (Right-click>Save as...). Then go to here and fill in the options. Set the 'SMP instance per:' option to '2 CPUs' as that's all VMWare can use per VM.

When you've that, hit the 'Download ISO' button and it will give you a custom 16mb folding linux install. Copy it to the new folder you made for the fold64.vmx file. Make sure your USB drive is plugged in, and then open the fold64.vmx in VMWare, and set it to boot from the downloaded ISO.

Start the VM, and in theory it should now boot from the ISO and start folding. You can check its progress by opening the IP address shown on screen in a web browser (it was 10.1.1.3 when i tested it earlier with a standard WU).

It may not be much use, but if it works then it means that we won't have to create a virtual hard disk and install Ubuntu to run the linuxSMP client.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah sure I'll give that a go, sounds interesting. Anything that is more streamlined than the current method has got to be worth a try. I'll have to do it tomorrow though as I have to nip out in a bit but when I get in from work I'll have a crack. :)

Cob

Cob

Soldato
From what little time I had with it, it seemed really simple to use. It was originally designed for dedicated single-core folding machines. You didn't need a hard drive as it downloads all it needs to to the USB drive (core and WU), nor a monitor as it requires no maintainance. All your details are on the ISO. It's since been updated for the SMP client (it automatically detects whether to download a standard core for x86 machines, or an SMP core for multi-core x64 machines).

I'm trying to find out from the developer whether you need a separate USB drive for each instance of it (hopefully not).

Associate
Very interesting Cob :) Since I'm going to be building my new machine tomorrow I'll try it as well. Do you have to have a USB stick in the machine for this to work? Since I will have a hard drive in there I'd prefer for it to be saved to that but if its lightweight to save on CPU cycles than I'm all for it :)

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Very interesting Cob :) Since I'm going to be building my new machine tomorrow I'll try it as well. Do you have to have a USB stick in the machine for this to work? Since I will have a hard drive in there I'd prefer for it to be saved to that but if its lightweight to save on CPU cycles than I'm all for it :)

I don't think there's any way to get it to use a hard drive. I haven't read all the official thread yet. It will run OK without a USB drive, but you will lose the data if you stop the client before it has finished and uploaded the current workunit.

It was originally designed for machines that were pretty much switched on and then left to do their thing for months at a time.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think there's any way to get it to use a hard drive. I haven't read all the official thread yet. It will run OK without a USB drive, but you will lose the data if you stop the client before it has finished and uploaded the current workunit.

It was originally designed for machines that were pretty much switched on and then left to do their thing for months at a time.

This might make extra borgs a bit cheaper :)

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Well the developer has told me that you do need a separate USB drive for each VM :( And I'm told that getting multiple USB drives recognised in VMWare is very difficult.

But the good news is that he's currently working on a version that saves to a VMWare virtual disk instead of a USB drive. That's sounds like the perfect solution.

Back
Top Bottom