Spec me a Hybrid.

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny out of interest what are your real world mpg figures of the ct200h? I ask as I was speaking to a p/h driver and he mentioned it's around £50 tank and a range of 400-450 miles city driving.

The only thing which is a let down for me is the size of the boot. It's firm contender along with the octavia vrs estate.

It's £40 a tank. And it does 450 miles of Glasgow city driving mainly both rush hours. The tank only holds 45 litres. He must be running it to empty or filling up with expensive petrol. We usually fill up with 30-50 miles left to go. So probably 10-15% still in the tank.

It needs filled up tomorrow. But I won't be in the car to see what it did on the last tank.

If I was to drive the car how it's supposed to be driven I reckon I could get 500+ miles out a tank. The wife brakes late and accelerates into traffic. The amount of fuel she wastes by her terrible driving must be quite high. She is the main driver of it. I have my own car. Shes constantly slamming brakes on and accelerating when she should be free rolling.

daz

daz

Soldato
I had a CT200h in 2012 and was getting pretty much dead on 50mpg. But like I said I don't think it will make a good taxi.

Soldato
OP
I had a CT200h in 2012 and was getting pretty much dead on 50mpg. But like I said I don't think it will make a good taxi.

Loads in p/h here so they must be ok. I did ask the owner of it what he did if travelling to airport and he said he could put one of the back seats down and it was fine for luggage if not carrying excessive amounts.

Caporegime
How does it only cost £40 to fill the tank if it has a 45 litre tank?

because even when it says there are 0 miles left. you can still only put 35 litres in. And I fill up when it says 30-50 miles left to go.

I had the same on the bmw. it dropped to zero miles. I still travelled 3 miles to the nearest petrol station. I filled up and I checked it still had 10 litres in the tank. Even though I drove 3 miles after it said there was nothing in there.

The fuel dials are built with a very large margin for reserves.

Soldato
We drive a gen 4 Prius 2016, on a long trip it easily gets 80+ mpg, best ever 180 miles @ 88 mpg, going back home 78mpg. you get less on short trips but 70+mpg is real easy.

Those who think the Prius is a milk float have no idea really, the official o-60 is listed 10.3 seconds, similar to a mass of every day cars but how is it actually tested. My son and his mate tested it on a long stretch of road that comes to a dead end due to a bypass. From a standing start with the engine warm & running best recorded was 0-60 7.8 seconds. average 8.3
0-60 where the engine is off but fires up the second you stomp the pedal 9.3 seconds. the official 10.3 seconds takes you up to average 69 mph so not sure how they actually measure it

Acceleration test against my sons mates manual Golf Gti from a standing start. Prius pulls ahead every time in the initial first few seconds but the Golf levels and overtakes every time. Both very surprised at the initial acceleration of the latest model Prius

The absolute garbage posted on some review sites makes me cringe 'we tested the new Gen 4 Prius and got 50mpg' really? you couldn't get anywhere near that low no matter how you drive the car. 'the car transmission is CVT i.e belts on pulleys':rolleyes: no it's not it's a sun & planet system that provides seamless acceleration. 'You can't drive on battery only above 30mph' total garbage, you can drive at 60mph+ with the engine off providing your not going up hill.

Caporegime
In that case my 5 series only costs a tenner to fill.

If I fill it when there is still a load of fuel left in it.

FYI

The car said it had 20 miles left to go today. Wife never filled up yesterday. The light had been on for 3 days.

So it took 33 litres of petrol. Which means it still had 12 litres in the tank. I used premium petrol (which isn't needed but I prefer the cleaning additivies this provides.) Total cost was £42 something. So yeah it's £40 a tank and cheaper if you don't use premium fuel by about £3 or so?

But we all know that you won't admit when you are wrong.

@Vita I checked the computer it said our average MPG has been increasing over 3 years of ownership. This could be down to the fact we had a sticky brake caliper which is no longer sticking. Also I know how to use the vehicle to it's max full efficiency the rare few times I drive it. I will use as much electric as I can. It's almost like a mini game to me whilst driving. With our combined driving we get roughly 50mpg with mainly city driving and mainly rush hour traffic. Short trips usually 20-45 mins total but a decent distance probably 15-20 miles each way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We drive a gen 4 Prius 2016, on a long trip it easily gets 80+ mpg, best ever 180 miles @ 88 mpg, going back home 78mpg. you get less on short trips but 70+mpg is real easy.

Those who think the Prius is a milk float have no idea really, the official o-60 is listed 10.3 seconds, similar to a mass of every day cars but how is it actually tested. My son and his mate tested it on a long stretch of road that comes to a dead end due to a bypass. From a standing start with the engine warm & running best recorded was 0-60 7.8 seconds. average 8.3
0-60 where the engine is off but fires up the second you stomp the pedal 9.3 seconds. the official 10.3 seconds takes you up to average 69 mph so not sure how they actually measure it

Acceleration test against my sons mates manual Golf Gti from a standing start. Prius pulls ahead every time in the initial first few seconds but the Golf levels and overtakes every time. Both very surprised at the initial acceleration of the latest model Prius

The absolute garbage posted on some review sites makes me cringe 'we tested the new Gen 4 Prius and got 50mpg' really? you couldn't get anywhere near that low no matter how you drive the car. 'the car transmission is CVT i.e belts on pulleys':rolleyes: no it's not it's a sun & planet system that provides seamless acceleration. 'You can't drive on battery only above 30mph' total garbage, you can drive at 60mph+ with the engine off providing your not going up hill.

I already talked about the initial acceleration before see above. But I had the regular it only has 130 hp it's not fast at all.

I don't know how the prius works. I much prefer the looks of an Auris too over one but I'll need to see if newer Prius's have improved in that regard however you need to stick the Lexus in sport mode to get it's full power. The way I've always thought of it is. Eco mode = 50hp. Standard mode = 100hp and Sport mode = 150hp. It's that big a difference between the 3 modes.

The default starting point is eco mode. So of course if you are using it in default with what feels like 50hp. Then yes it's dog slow. Stick it in sport and the thing is very fast for they type of car it is.

Soldato
When my old car used to show 0 miles left I used to do another 30 miles before filling it up, therefore I must have been getting unlimited MPGz because the computer said there was no fuel in the tank. Non hybrid too.

I only got 54mpg out of the Prius when I borrowed it for the week, didn't even drive it like I stole it either, just the usual A road commute.

Soldato
I already talked about the initial acceleration before see above. But I had the regular it only has 130 hp it's not fast at all.

I don't know how the prius works. I much prefer the looks of an Auris too over one but I'll need to see if newer Prius's have improved in that regard however you need to stick the Lexus in sport mode to get it's full power. The way I've always thought of it is. Eco mode = 50hp. Standard mode = 100hp and Sport mode = 150hp. It's that big a difference between the 3 modes.

The default starting point is eco mode. So of course if you are using it in default with what feels like 50hp. Then yes it's dog slow. Stick it in sport and the thing is very fast for they type of car it is.

I had a test drive in an Auris and hated it, I don't know if they have altered it now but it had an old fashioned speedometer with a needle!. The Prius dashboard is multicoloured & digital and also projects the speed and other stuff onto the drivers windscreen which is brilliant. The version I have has radar cruise control,traffic sign recognition, blindspot warning mirrors, and for backing out extremely useful cross traffic warning.

As far as I'm aware the eco, normal & power settings simply alter the required pedal pressure on Auris & Prius, the Auris also has a different CVT transmission using steel belts & cones whereas the Prius is planetary.

Caporegime
I had a test drive in an Auris and hated it, I don't know if they have altered it now but it had an old fashioned speedometer with a needle!. The Prius dashboard is multicoloured & digital and also projects the speed and other stuff onto the drivers windscreen which is brilliant. The version I have has radar cruise control,traffic sign recognition, blindspot warning mirrors, and for backing out extremely useful cross traffic warning.

As far as I'm aware the eco, normal & power settings simply alter the required pedal pressure on Auris & Prius, the Auris also has a different CVT transmission using steel belts & cones whereas the Prius is planetary.

Yeah i always thought of the prius as being the latest as it's a test bed to then be integrated into their other ranges and marques. So it has all the latest gear a sort of beta test in the real world.

However I can't get over the back end. It looks terrible. If they could change the styling I'd consider one possibly for when the lexus gets traded in however I'm looking at the toyota c-hr. The wife refuses to drive a "large" car so the bigger lexus's are out the picture otherwise I'd get one of those.

Caporegime
I mean it's a matter of fact that it has a 45 litre tank and unleaded petrol is circa £1.20 a litre so I am not sure what it is you want me to say I was wrong about.

That you will never be putting anywhere near that amount in unless you run it for a week after it has hit zero.

Proven by my fill up today. It still had 12 litres in the tank albeit the light had been on for 3 days and said 20 miles left.

You then sarcastically tried to make a invalid point about how yours only costs £10 to fill up. Which bears no resemblance to when yours is also asking to be filled up.

Proof today the car said it was empty and not much left yet only cost £40 to fill up.

Soldato
Yeah i always thought of the prius as being the latest as it's a test bed to then be integrated into their other ranges and marques. So it has all the latest gear a sort of beta test in the real world.

However I can't get over the back end. It looks terrible.

I agree, sideways and frontal looks smart but not the back end, it's like that for a good reason though,it's why it's in the top 10 of the worlds most aerodynamic production cars

Caporegime
I agree, sideways and frontal looks smart but not the back end, it's like that for a good reason though,it's why it's in the top 10 of the worlds most aerodynamic production cars

It's why I would get even the auris over the prius and always recommend the auris.

Ill likely just get another ct200h. Lexus have been making massive improvements to the cabin in terms of external noise and I think they have even made the gearbox sound less of an issue.

I don't think it's worth going electric as most cars are still pretty much first gen. I'd rather wait for most of the issues to be fixed then go for an i3.

Soldato
I'm not too clued up on these new fangled hybrids, but we do have a large number of them on out fleet at work and time and time again the car that gets the best feedback from customers is the Hyundai Ioniq.

Soldato
time and time again the car that gets the best feedback from customers is the Hyundai Ioniq.
ooi on what criteria? can/do/will (greener) customers pay a premium for a hybrid, or indeed, would customer expect to pay less, for lower running costs.
For town, and even longer journeys, as a customer, I'd want cabin space, and, especially, business customers, maybe prepared to pay for it.

Caporegime
I'm not too clued up on these new fangled hybrids, but we do have a large number of them on out fleet at work and time and time again the car that gets the best feedback from customers is the Hyundai Ioniq.

that is a plug in hybrid. it seems to have a very fancy system too which always get rave reviews.

so it's basically an electric car which then also has backup petrol too. which means it's carrying a lot of bulk to have 2 full systems in it.

if i was going to buy a plug in hybrid. i'd go full out and just go electric.

the toyota and lexus range are self charging hybrids. essentially they don't plug into anything. they take all your wasted energy. think braking, rolling downhill and convert to electricity then have a small electric motor assisting the engine. you can run off this engine alone at low speeds and low acceleration or gentle coasting. it has it's flaws but it's a smart design.

Back
Top Bottom