Spec me a nitro RC buggy....

Soldato
OP
I agree with arknor, it's cheap because it's made out of cheese. Have you got any experience with nitro engines? They can be fickle beasts and get affected by the weather.

Are you looking for a 1/8th buggy specifically or would go with something smaller?

I've no experience of buggys at all, but i've flown RC aircraft with nitro engines for many years, both 2 and 4 stroke.

As for made of cheese, I suspect (know) you are wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvp4Lr-raJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloqL6c-Toc&feature=related

Associate
Alas that is already £300 before you even look at adding radio gear and the other bits. I would imagine that the cost would be close to £500 all-in, which really isn't entry-level budget :(

What do you mean 300 pounds? Its 50 pounds for the basic kit which i linked to. Upgraded shocks and bearing kit brings it to about 85 pounds. A brushess setup from hobbyking and some 2.4ghz radio gear would be about 100 pounds on top.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Savages aren't indestructible, but they are pretty damn durable out of the box, certainly won't find many stronger MTs. That said, I've spent silly money on mine and it pretty much is indestructible now :D

OP: The problem with cheap RTR models is that they really are made of cheese, and it's not uncommon for people to be completely put off the hobby due to bad experiences with them. And it's not just the fact that they are made of cheese, when they break (and they will, often) parts backup is an absolute nightmare.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OP: The problem with cheap RTR models is that they really are made of cheese, and it's not uncommon for people to be completely put off the hobby due to bad experiences with them. And it's not just the fact that they are made of cheese, when they break (and they will, often) parts backup is an absolute nightmare.

There is actually a full supply of spare parts.

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/prod...SHOP_AREA_19766&promotionareaSearchDetail=005

You pay your money you take your chance, £130 and that's delivered! :eek:

There is nothing at all in the aircraft market of this sort of value.

The Air Attack is a Tonka toy in comparison with a RC heli or plane.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It appears good VFM on the surface, but honestly they generally turn out to be a false economy. I bought my son a cheap HSP nitro SC truck a couple of years back, it was utter rubbish, broke every time we used it, and whilst spares were cheap we had to buy so many it just added up.

In this hobby it's always worth paying a little more in the first place, or buying a decent make second hand.

Still, it's pretty nice to look, and I hope you have fun with it :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have all the starting gear, fuel etc for my aircraft

What nitro percentage is the fuel you are using for your aircraft? Generally aircraft are run on much lower nitro percentage than land models, ideally you want to be running that buggy on 20-25%. It'll run on lower percentage, but will be down on power and run hotter.

Soldato
OP
What nitro percentage is the fuel you are using for your aircraft? Generally aircraft are run on much lower nitro percentage than land models, ideally you want to be running that buggy on 20-25%. It'll run on lower percentage, but will be down on power and run hotter.

Yes, I only have 10% will that be a problem?

Down on power isn't a problem, I suspect I will get away with running hot as well due to time of year?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
That's too low TBH, it will be a PITA to tune and temps will be too high. The absolute minimum I would use is 16%, but 25% is about where you want to be.

Associate
I've no experience of buggys at all, but i've flown RC aircraft with nitro engines for many years, both 2 and 4 stroke.

As for made of cheese, I suspect (know) you are wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvp4Lr-raJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloqL6c-Toc&feature=related

I really wouldn't go by a couple of videos. I run 8th buggies and i have a generally good idea of of whats good and whats not.

Still, it looks good, and if it runs well and your sons happy with it then have fun :)

Soldato
OP
I really wouldn't go by a couple of videos. I run 8th buggies and i have a generally good idea of of whats good and whats not.

It's all I could find. The buggys in those vids are getting more abuse than ours will, can't see the point of buying a buggy then just driving it as fast as you can into the ground TBH? :confused:

When I opened the box, I was surprised/impressed by the quality.
It is far better than the smaller electric HobbyKing monster Beetle I was going to get him.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

Perceived quality doesn't equate to actual quality. The aforementioned HSP I bought my son appeared to be brilliant quality before we actually ran the thing. Shiny doesn't always equal good ;)

I'm sure you and your boy will enjoy it though :)

Associate
It's all I could find. The buggys in those vids are getting more abuse than ours will, can't see the point of buying a buggy then just driving it as fast as you can into the ground TBH? :confused:

It is far better than the smaller electric HobbyKing monster Beetle I was going to get him.

I have no doubt that yours won't be given as much abuse but accidents do happen. Little tumbles here and there, the odd bump into a wall. Especially considering the weight and speed of a nitro.

Couple of pieces of advice as well if you don't know of them already. Wrap an elastic band around the carb and set the fail safe in the radio to half brake. That way, if the signal goes or the rx battery goes flat then it'll prevent the car from running away :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom