Must haves:
  • Automatic
  • Heated seats and steering wheel
  • Memory seats
  • Decently fast (200 bhp or so)
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Android auto
  • Reversing cam
Plugin hybrid would be ideal, 30 mile round trip commute per day and would be good to have an alternative to my M850i for longer journeys when we have passengers so still needs form of ICE.

Short list currently looking like M135i (although a bit overkill on the power requirement) or A3 40 TFSI e. The A Class 250 e premium plus looked good - liked them on viewing some but no heated steering wheel so now ruled out. Usual frustration with all these brands in finding ones with a good spec without driving across the country.

Ideas gratefully received. Open to other brands if the quality is there.

Soldato
VW MK8 GTI with Winter Pack + Rear Camera Optioned?

I believe Winter Pack includes Heated Washer Jets, Heated Seats (Front and outer rear) and Heated Steering Wheel.

Just a suggestion, admittedly not done huge amounts of homework with cars in that price range since out of my price range :)

Edit: Another suggestion would be a BMW 128ti? Ticks all the same boxes an M135i would but lacks 4WD but saves some weight, down slightly on power but assuming you could get a newer, better condition one for the same or less money?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Checked out the golf GTIs but they seem to be about the same price as the the BMW or Audi! 128ti doesn't seem to have ACC.

Mini would be a good shout but I thought they are a very old car now?

Caporegime
Wife needs a new car...

Budget: £25-30k
Mileage: Up to 30kish but condition more important

Must haves:
  • Automatic
  • Heated seats and steering wheel
  • Memory seats
  • Decently fast (200 bhp or so)
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Android auto
  • Reversing cam
Plugin hybrid would be ideal, 30 mile round trip commute per day and would be good to have an alternative to my M850i for longer journeys when we have passengers so still needs form of ICE.

Short list currently looking like M135i (although a bit overkill on the power requirement) or A3 40 TFSI e. The A Class 250 e premium plus looked good - liked them on viewing some but no heated steering wheel so now ruled out. Usual frustration with all these brands in finding ones with a good spec without driving across the country.

Ideas gratefully received. Open to other brands if the quality is there.
If a 135i is overkill what about a 128ti?

Soldato
Checked out the golf GTIs but they seem to be about the same price as the the BMW or Audi! 128ti doesn't seem to have ACC.

VW Golf is basically an Audi A3 - Less “Brand” Bragging Rights.. But I’d rather take a Sporty GTI over a similar priced S Line A3.

Unless it’s S3 Money?

Associate
OP
VW Golf is basically an Audi A3 - Less “Brand” Bragging Rights.. But I’d rather take a Sporty GTI over a similar priced S Line A3.

Unless it’s S3 Money?
Not S3 money. If it was for me I'd agree with you, but for wife refinement is probably more important than sportiness - assuming there is a difference there.

Caporegime

Not really sure tbh, Fox will be along at some point to tell us.

No EV consideration?

Man of Honour
I think there are two options here - 1 series or A class depending on preference. Both great cars. I don't think the A3 is as good as either of them.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Really?

I have one and there's absolutely no way that I'd rule out an entire car based on it not having one. Its just not that useful a feature.
I have one too and rarely use it. I don't have to drive very often on cold mornings though. Must have for wife. She hates the cold, so fair enough.

Associate
OP
Looks like it does have to be the M135i for adaptive cruise control. Pretty ridiculous really. The 128ti ticks all the other boxes and would be a more suitable car.

Last edited:
Soldato
how about cla shooting break - slightly stretch goal - but has the space of a hatch and premium zf gearbox unlike vag

ok wrong about their gearbox - rule that out

Associate
OP
how about cla shooting break - slightly stretch goal - but has the space of a hatch and premium zf gearbox unlike vag

ok wrong about their gearbox - rule that out
Nice car but too big

Soldato
A3s etc aren't actually that small. They are also just an even more expensive Golf. The S1, Abarth etc are small hatches.

You aren't going to get a very refined ride from any of these TBH. Especially the sporty German stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom