Spec me a true 5.1 headset

Soldato
Still a lot games also that I have seen don't support 7.1 yet I know csgo 5.1 is max. I would after look but from top my head don't think I have seen 7.1 yet as a option to select.

Soldato
Still a lot games also that I have seen don't support 7.1 yet I know csgo 5.1 is max. I would after look but from top my head don't think I have seen 7.1 yet as a option to select.

<sigh> I recall those heady days back in August 2005 around the lauch of X-Fi. DirectSound3D was king and literally 95% of PC games supported as many surround channels as your soundcard (usually 7.1).

I was still happily using my Medusa 5.1s with an Audigy 2, thinking it the combination was amazing.

There has literally been no real progress in PC gaming audio in 9 years. In fact, we've regressed. It's only really been a wider array of headphone surround virtualisation that has helped PC gaming audio at all. Only a few games in software mode are capable of what hardware driven gaming audio APIs were doing back then. It's depressing really.

Associate
I completely agree Uriel, but headphones are hard to make good and people generally dont want to pay for top quality they want it cheap. And thats why there is the issue, i spoke to a guy the other day he had some trittons telling me they were a great price and so good. I was like ZZzzzzzzz

Soldato
I don't have an AMD card but isn't true audio meant to be very good? So isn't that atleast a tiny advancement?

So far it's in one game theif, it works quite well I done a video comparing it to software on the game settings.

TThing is thief don't really do it justice I have heard demos and doom 3 demo on youtube show case it better.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't have an AMD card but isn't true audio meant to be very good? So isn't that atleast a tiny advancement?

Like PhysX, I don't consider true audio to be that much of an advancement in that it can't be enjoyed by all but a tiny minority of GPU owners.

If it was more hardware-agnostic, I'd be more excited about it.

The great thing about DirectSound3D was it was ubiquitous. It was available to all developers using DirectX, which was most of them. Sure, individual cards had additional effects but as a surround sound mixing system for games it's been unsurpassed. Even now, if you get a game with DirectSound3D running on Windows XP (I'm told Win8 is capable but not tried it myself), it will render the audio on whatever surround configuration you wish to throw at it - some of which did not exist at the time the game was published. You give it an 11.1 system with high and low speakers and it will cope with it.

Anyway - I digress. Anyone want 11.1 headphones? Creative's CMSS-3D headphone is theoretically capable of simulating it (but perhaps not on Win Vista / 7). They also work best with 2 drivers ;)

Associate
OP
I heard the difference it made to the Man of Steel album. The positional demo's are accurate using a good set of headphones and a headphone amp. Turtle Beach have encompassed the technology on the 600 and 800 series I believe?

Try this, there is a little album from the free DTS Headphone:X audio samples ripped from the Z+ Music apps from Hans Zimmer; Gotham City:

http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/24384337/file.html

Click the Orange download now for those who don't know how to use zippy share.

Wow wow these demos have been really great. I downloaded the Man of Steel app demo also on my iphone 5, paired with my AKG845. was great. I hope this tech will be introduced to gaming soon.

even my G4me ones work perfectly with this.

I'm using an STX II and G4ME ones at home and I have pc350 and a EPH-O2D at work.

both this and the barbershop one are easy to listen to and get a feel for positional audio.

but like I said in FPS games a lot of it is associative sound. On Office in CSS you can hear the hostage being rescued from by the filing cabinets in mid but only the hostage to the right of T spawn not the one in the projector room.

Same goes for the dodgy sounds in csgo there are parts of certain bomb sites that the sound isn't quite right and that will tell you where they are more than the headphone.

I remember when someone made a D2 christmas map and the sound was screwed with Hard footsteps on dust soft ones in tunnels. I just couldn't tune my brain to it at all. people running down short sounding like they are on long and people running long sounding like they are short.

The barbershop one is quite convincing. I think I'm going to do a turnaround and actually go for the stereo with dolby headphone. Something like the Xonar U3 or U7 paired with either AKG or the seinhesser game sets you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom