Spec me a WiFi adaptor

Associate
Hi all, my current WiFi adaptor works but it's only ok and is a good few years old now, and occasionally I need to reboot the pc to get it going, anyone recommend something slightly more up to date and fairly fast, I have fibre broadband, but I don't require it for on line gaming, just streaming occasionally and downloading games.
Around the 20 ish mark

Thanks kev

Soldato
Personally I prefer usb
It's easier to move to somewhere higher up for example
If signal is bad
It's portable to laptop or other pcs too
Usually I get an alfa
And upgrade the aerial to a high dB one if struggling with signal
For example in a Victorian property I really struggled as all brick internal walls

Edit I mess around with Linux sometimes and alfas usually work

Permabanned
I will just paste my reply to two other similar threads.

"I posted in a similar thread.

If it is a desktop then I have this: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GC-WBAX200-rev-10#kf

I used to have this : https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GC-WB1733D-I-rev-10#ov

Both will give you very fast Intel WIFI AC (the later one WIFI 6 AX) + BT 5.0"

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/network-card-dongle.18873230/#post-33230840

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...c-capable-of-wifi-how.18874830/#post-33263544

The wire on included Antenna is long enough you can get it away from the PC (remember USB 3.X ports can interfere with WIFI) or add a 3rd party Antenna like this (very long 6.5-7feet and a strong magnet)

51-Nl-Ofszhz-L-SL1000.jpg

Permabanned
I did not see that as no £ sign :o, they are about £25-30ish if you look about but the newer one can be hard to find in stock.

The bare Intel M2 WIFI/BT cards inside them can be gotten easily for £18-25.

Permabanned
For me it meant an upgrade from my original cards WIFI AC Link Speed 866Mb/s to far higher and from BT 4.0 to BT 5.0 (my primary benefit), I took the Intel M2 card out and used the Asus Rog Socket so did no need use a PCI-E Slot.

Soldato
Start with the basics, what exactly have you currently got and what sort of speeds are you getting? When you say fibre are we talking symmetrical gigabit or FTTC? It may be better to run a cable and put an AP on the end, but if you're doing that, then it kind of begs the question why not just wire the PC in the first place.

Associate
OP
Start with the basics, what exactly have you currently got and what sort of speeds are you getting? When you say fibre are we talking symmetrical gigabit or FTTC? It may be better to run a cable and put an AP on the end, but if you're doing that, then it kind of begs the question why not just wire the PC in the first place.
Are you trying to be clever ?
Obviously if I could hard wire from the router I would, I just want the best I can afford that actually gives me reasonable speeds and is a reasonably up to date version.
Thanks everybody else for your help

Kev

Soldato
Are you trying to be clever ?
Obviously if I could hard wire from the router I would, I just want the best I can afford that actually gives me reasonable speeds and is a reasonably up to date version.
Thanks everybody else for your help

Kev

Try re-reading the thread, you’ve told us absolutely nothing of any use at this stage, we don’t know the connection speed (fibre is not a speed, it covers everything between FTTC and actual gigabit fibre), how fast you’re currently syncing, if your AP/router is capable of AC, MIMO etc. and if so what standard/speed it supports. As such, suggesting anything at this stage is largely pointless. You then don’t seem to understand why you’re being asked simple and relevant questions to try and give you a useful response, it’s almost as if you’re trying not to be clever... and succeeding.

Soldato
I've got one of these

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...00-bluetooth-4.2-pci-e-adapter-nw-10a-as.html

As I needed Bluetooth for an xbox pad and my WiFi was a crappy old wireless N USB stick.

It was a little fiddly to get the blootooth working and to get windows to see the xbox pad but a bityof a Google resolved it with out too much pain.

It's absolutely rock solid and the WiFi is far better than the old one, (it's a tad faster but more importantly its realy consistent) even though I don't think my router is wireless AC.

Soldato
Like I said last night, thanks to everyone else apart from Avalon for your help

Kev
You're welcome

Though he wasn't trying to be smart
Or clever etc
He just wanted as much technical data about it as possible
To make sure something not suited to your situation wasnt recommended
Every one has different levels of skill /knowledge
So sometimes asking for full specs/information is better than asking a lot of separate questions

Soldato
To be fair to Avalon, in this forum it's quite frequent to get people asking for recommendations and it's very easy to recommend something overpriced or unsuitable in some way. And some people don't realy know what they need.

It's easier if every one knows what kit you are running... That's probably more important with networking, as there's WiFi in the PC, router, Internet package/speed, etc. To consider.

The more info the better. I don't think he was trying to be funny, as you can't recommend something without more specific detal.

Back
Top Bottom