Spec me an external Hard drive please?

Associate
Hi all,

Confession time, I have never owned an external hard drive.

I now find myself in a situation one may be usefull, I liked W7 so much I removed all my files from my old XP machine and gave that to my sister, some months ago I re-installed these files along with a fresh install of W7 beta 64 to this machine.

I now plan to build a couple of new machines, with W7 os's, but I want to save all the data I currently have on this system, music movies, PDF's, pictures etc.

Can I use an external HD to store all my files, and the files from the other accounts on this PC but still access them from two new computers with fresh OS installs?

Would I have to do anything with regard to file accesability and sharing with this external drive and files, or would it just be a cse of dragging and dropping files, and those being accesable if I plug the extarnal drive into a new computer?

And what external HD should I be looking at, is it worth saving for something like the Western Digital My Book Studio II 2TB USB2.0/eSATA/Firewire 800 External Hard Drive? Or is that overkill and too much money?

Cheers

Associate
Once you have picked a external harddrive it just a matter of sharing the drive on one of the computers when you do plug it in and as long has the other computer has wireless/cabled lan set up.

Just depends how much money you want to fire in to backing up your data, the western digital my book II would do the trick then you will have the data on your new external hard drive and that can be copied and pasted from it to your new harddrive and thats not a bad thing to have it backed up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom