Spec me an LED Torch

Soldato
Spec me a torch for dog walks in very dark country lanes please?
Budget is about 50 tops.
Thanks for any help.
Sorry, just saw this. Based on my experience, I'd suggest a clip/head torch is your most useful option.
The Perun Mini is alright, but a bit too floody and the beam appears washed out. I carry one of these for general daily stuff, but for walking my dogs in dark countryside I personally prefer the Fenix LD15R - Warmer beam, better pattern and flood, just seems to put out more light on a lower setting. If you crack the glue and unscrew the top to remove the clip, it will fit a generic silicone head strap, too.

There is also the new Fenix HM50R V2, but that does lack the very useful magnetic tail cap. The larger HM61R has all the cool features, but is bigger and of course more expensive.
All the Fenix models can be had on AliExpress for under £50.

Soldato
Been using a 5000k Wurkoss FC11 for the past week now as my new area is rather dark at night after work and I don't know if that's a slippery leaf I've stepped on or dog pooh :o

First impressions from a years old owner of LED Lenser led torches was "damn" as I blinded myself with it. Second impression was "wtf is it flickering so badly when I have my finger over the button?". Suffice to say I had issues from the start that I just resolved yesterday. There was some black dirt on the head cell spring and that was causing current issues.

Since then the Wurkoss has been solid and the included 18650 cell, which I was concerned about has been good as it wasn't being fully charged in the first place. Charging via the onboard USB-C connector is very slow (4hrs in some cases) - it hasn't been properly implemented so either a USB C-C cable will work, or you'll have to use USB C-A.

To get around this, I ordered an XTar VC2S and an OWL wrapped 18650 from a 'Foggy' battery company (I don't know the rules on this thread) yesterday. Much to my surprise, both arrived today. The VC2S is Micro-USB powered sadly but that didn't hamper it's performance in charging a cell at 2A earlier.

I have a Wurkoss TS21 coming from China this century. I ordered it straight off their site so I've had zero comms so far, which is a tad worrying but I assume the norm?

pJk6eqm.jpg

Associate
My Lumintop Prince stopped working last week which I use 2-4 times daily for rural, unlit dog walking. I replaced it with a FW3A, however I'm just not getting on with it. It's a little too small for me and runs hot. Hoping someone can, a) suggest an 18650 alternative with similar size, quality and gorgeous beam profile; and b) point me in the direction of somewhere that can potentially fix the Prince (quickly Googled but nothing came up). TIA. :)

hux

hux

Soldato
Anyone have the Astrolux ec06, I have the Sofirn q8 and Astrolux ft02s but I find myself wondering just how useful turbo is.
As both the above get hot rather quick.

Soldato
I bought a lumintop tool 2.0 AA for my father in law this Christmas and liked it so much that I bought myself one. The included battery has micro usb charging which is a bit annoying as they also do a usb c version on their site. I like the magnetic tail cap though

Caporegime
I bought a lumintop tool 2.0 AA for my father in law this Christmas and liked it so much that I bought myself one. The included battery has micro usb charging which is a bit annoying as they also do a usb c version on their site. I like the magnetic tail cap though

A fun little project :)

Soldato
A fun little project :)

The connector is actually in the battery, not the torch. There's no way I'll be performing a procedure like that on a lithium ion battery :D

I didn't even realise that it is a feature until it arrived to be honest, and I was planning to charge it with my 'proper' charger anyways. I just get annoyed with anything new that comes with micro usb

Soldato
I managed to drop my lumintop tool aa on to our tile floor :rolleyes:

It was completely dead so I took it apart and found one of the contacts on the choke was loose. I managed to reflow it and all is good again.

I'll keep it in a different pocket from now on

Back
Top Bottom