Spec me an LED Torch

It's the camera or rather my lack of knowing what settings to use.

In the first picture in real life the P7 actually lights the playhouse as much as the picture of the XM-L but as soon as you turn the flash light on the camera auto adjusts and makes the picture seem really dark.

In the second picture the P7 actually lights the roof up to some extent but the camera makes it appear that it doesn't.
However the camera also adjusts the XM-L to the same extent, the XM-L is incredibly bright.

For accurate beamshots one really needs a camera with manual settings or at least an ability to lock the exposure settings :(

That depends on your useage needs. do you want a torch that's practically indestructable or one that's small enough to go on your keychain?
do you want to use common Alkaline AA/AAAs, Expensive CR123A lithiums or lithium rechargeables?
Do you want a torch that's quite bright but runs for hours, or do you want one that can melt faces but only run for ten minutes?

This is a handy-dandy checklist from CPF that will help out (and save my mangled fingers)

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :-)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I’m flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don’t care.
____I don’t know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a “host” or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a “drop-in” emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today’s most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A “night-stand” light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don’t know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today’s high end lights).
____I don't care.
____I don’t know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don’t care.
____I don’t know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today’s flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don’t care.
____I don’t know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____“Hybrid” light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Friend of mine has the P7, it's a nice feeling torch and feels like a tank but I wasn't impressed with its power or the tail switch action!
That was pretty much my thoughts on it as well, not quite powerful enough and I hated the fact that you had to hold in the power button for high mode.
Damn right!

considering your requirements you might be better off with the Fenix TK11, it uses the XP-G instead of the XM-L meaning it has less total output capability (althought not that much less) but has much better throw. :)

it's also a bit cheaper and, imho, has a better UI.

Well the TK21 rates the maximum throw at 214m which even though is probably rather optimistic, its far more than I realistically need. Now that ive seen it as well i don't think I could buy a "lesser" model, even though you say it would perform roughly the same :)

Are there any risks with buying from Hong Kong sellers on eBay? I can get it for just under £60 on there and will obviously have to wait a while for delivery but I'm in no real rush. I assume fakes aren't a problem?

Fair enough. i'm not about to try and persuade someone to buy a less beastly light :D

The Hong Kong sellers are, in my experience, flawlessly reliable. i've bought thousands of pounds worth of hobby-stuff from them over the last ten years and i've never had a single issue.

Stick to the ones with lots of feedback and you'll be 100% okay. hkequipment in particular are very very good.

Fair enough. i'm not about to try and persuade someone to buy a less beastly light :D

The Hong Kong sellers are, in my experience, flawlessly reliable. i've bought thousands of pounds worth of hobby-stuff from them over the last ten years and i've never had a single issue.

Stick to the ones with lots of feedback and you'll be 100% okay. hkequipment in particular are very very good.

:D Good man thanks for the help!

When did you order it Khaaaaaaaan.

It's getting near Christmas, during this period the HK post office is swamped with millions of packages so non-priority ones take quite a while to actually leave HK :(

if you want stuff fast from HK you really need to spring for EMS speedpost, which is lightning fast (like, "Hong-Kong to london in two days" fast) but about $30 :(

I bought via this sale:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190583224149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have the HK tracking details but I fear I may not be the 60 odd % of 11-15 day shipments :p

sin_ebay_time_new.jpg

The HK post tracking says:
The item (lololololol) left Hong Kong for its destination on 15-Oct-2011 So it seems to have shipped as of Friday. Now I just wait! At least I know it's in transit or maybe even in the country so fingers crossed for tomorrow? :D At least the seller offers a refund if it takes over 35 days though!

That depends on your useage needs. do you want a torch that's practically indestructable or one that's small enough to go on your keychain?
do you want to use common Alkaline AA/AAAs, Expensive CR123A lithiums or lithium rechargeables?
Do you want a torch that's quite bright but runs for hours, or do you want one that can melt faces but only run for ten minutes?

This is a handy-dandy checklist from CPF that will help out (and save my mangled fingers)

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :-)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
__x__Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I’m flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

___x _I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__x_Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
__x__Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don’t care.
____I don’t know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
_x___I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a “host” or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a “drop-in” emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today’s most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)
- this I don't know - what do you suggest?

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

__x__Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A “night-stand” light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don’t know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today’s high end lights).
__x__I don't care.
____I don’t know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
__x__I don’t care.
__x__I don’t know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today’s flashlights).
_x___Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don’t care.
____I don’t know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____“Hybrid” light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

there you go so for £50 on budget? what torch do you recommend?

Well i just ordered the TK21 from bestgood88 on ebay, reading their feedback has raised no alarms and many people seem to order Fenix torches through them with no problems.

Comes with an UltraFire WF-139 charger and 2 spare UltraFire 18650 3000mAh batteries which although im sure arent exactly amazing compared to some of the ones you can buy, will do the job for me for now. For an extra £9 over the standalone torch im not going to complain anyway.

Cost £66.88 in total so i saved £14 compared to ordering from the UK and ive got the charger and batteries on top of that. Im happy with that :) Roll on between 5-20 days shipping!

Ill be sure to post terrible pictures when it arrives.

Last edited:
there you go so for £50 on budget? what torch do you recommend?

I think your desires and your budget is somewhat unrealistic. Stainless-Steel and titanium lights are usually either tiny keychain lights, or full-size lights that cost $200+

Otherwise, i think something from the Fenix range would suit you but they're quite expensive (as are most pre-made lights).

I'll look around and see if i can find anything that fits your requests though :)

I hope you are wrong! WRONG! Rather it takes 24hours lol.

If it left HK on Friday it should arrive before or by this coming Friday, unless you get stung for customs charges, in which case it could be another two weeks depending on how slack Royal mail or parcelfarce are feeling :(

Well i just ordered the TK21 from bestgood88 on ebay, reading their feedback has raised no alarms and many people seem to order Fenix torches through them with no problems.

Comes with an UltraFire WF-139 charger and 2 spare UltraFire 18650 3000mAh batteries which although im sure arent exactly amazing compared to some of the ones you can buy, will do the job for me for now. For an extra £9 over the standalone torch im not going to complain anyway.

Cost £66.88 in total so i saved £14 compared to ordering from the UK and ive got the charger and batteries on top of that. Im happy with that :) Roll on between 5-20 days shipping!

Ill be sure to post terrible pictures when it arrives.

Light sounds good, however, the WF-139 is lousy (verging on unsafe) and the Ultrafire 3000mAh cells are known to be complete crap, usually made out of cells scavenged from old laptop batteries. :(

Light sounds good, however, the WF-139 is lousy (verging on unsafe) and the Ultrafire 3000mAh cells are known to be complete crap, usually made out of cells scavenged from old laptop batteries. :(

Oh dear :( Perhaps i should have done some research first! When you say the cells are crap, do you mean that from a safety point of view or just in terms of performance? If its purely performance i could live with that for a short while i guess.

Any decent cheapish recommendations then for chargers and cells?

From a safety standpoint they're not great but they're quite unlikely to be dangerous, although if you get a bad example of the WF-139 then they could quite easily explode.

Cheap charger; Xtar WP2 II
Cheap Cells; well, that depends on how much you're willing to spend and whats available.

read this review-list:
http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/batteries_21.html

and this one:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/Batteries18650-2011 UK.html

And then see which of the cells from those lists you like the looks of are available cheaply :)

If you're looking for the absolute best cells, then i can give you an instant recommendation; AW's 2900mAh Protected cells. these use the Panasonic 2900mAh cells and have an actual capacity near 2900mAh even at high discharge rates. they're not cheap but they are very good.

so Aod or anyone else how about something like LED Lenser 7439TP T7 Tactical Light

or

something like the LED Lenser Police Tech Focus Torch

thoughts welcome

Back
Top Bottom