Spec me AV receiver

Associate
So, I'm hoping to get a bit of advise from the hi-fi experts.
I currently have an old Yamaha HTR-3065 AVR paired up with the 5.1 set of speakers (4x 20W sats, 30W center, 50W sub). This has been perfect for my needs, even though fairly basic setup.
I'm about to purchase a 4K TV (LZ980B or C2 or A80K) with primary use for movies and online streaming so had been doing a bit of research if the setup won't be somehow compromised as it is dated..
Seems that old HDMI standard will heavily limit the 4K support and in most cases audio wouldn't be handled correctly.

Devices wise, I'm planning to either use built in apps or my Roku 4k stick and a 4K TV Sat Box. Switch for kids on top of that, but no plans in any near future for PS or Xbox.

I'm not likely upgrade my speakers set just yet, so even relatively decent entry level AVR is going to be ok - any recommendations?

Thanks

I got the AVR with the speaker package back then - its the own Yamaha NS-B150, NS-C150 and YST-SW012 sub.
I know it's nothing special, but the house is fairly small, LR is open plan to rest of the house (bungalow) and sound travels a bit, so with young kids I won't be able to push sound levels much, nor shake the house lol. They would wake up too easily.
The YPAO was so helpful to set things up quickly - really like this.

Thank you both.
I would certainly prefer to delay the need to upgrade if that is totally not required. At the end of the day, I'm interested in having the right surround sound on all speakers, however its passed through to them.

I did consider running all inputs into the TV and ARC out to the AVR, but there is such a huge list of audio codecs and technologies that I'm a bit lost lol
Roku won't be used unless I find that somehow the built in apps are pants, so all streaming audio will be going out via ARC anyway.
Checking my 4K sat box, its capable of outputting DD and DD plus.
I don't really plan to play BD content via actual BD drive, however BD rips are not out of the question - I would most likely stream that from my media server, perhaps via built in TV function which than means ARC handles audio too. Plex or Kodi would be via laptop/PC currently.

All in all still 'sounds' (pun intended) that I may just need to wire things up differently than I originally anticipated and keep the AVR for now.

Back
Top Bottom