Spec me some wheels under £500

Soldato
I was going to buy a new bike but decided to get another year out of my trustee Canyon Roadlite with aluminium frame, carbon forks, 105 5700 group set and Aksium Race Wheels.

So I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels, I like the look of the Cosmics but understand the Krysiums are better. Although my budget is up to £500 closer to £300 would be better as I'm hoping to afford a single sided 4iiiii power meter but the wheels need to a noticeable improvement on what I already have. I'm looking to do lots of climbing and descents this year :)

Soldato
Just a heads up regarding 4iii 105, they are £310 at Ribble this weekend, one 172.5 reported left in stock.

Ribble do ~8% Topcashback if you visit the bike shop through them.

Plus Topcashback are doing a bonus £2.50 for a single £15+ purchase this weekend.

What spec wheels do you need, disc or rim brake?
Plus what front/rear hub types, QR or 12/15mm bolt-thru?

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I spotted that ribble deal last night, I need a 170, which was in stock last night.

I need QR rim brake wheels.

I was holding off on the power meter in case I got the wheels from ribble as well.

Soldato
Bit of a treat from me to me, very pricey but should last donkeys years.

2nd hand wheels always worth looking at - eBay is strewn with road wheels, some garbage of course but some cracking deals - especially good for finding people who have just bought a new bike but are selling the OE wheels!

I have a mint set of Bontrager Paradigm Comp 1550g wheels going - strong, fast, done probably only 1,000 miles, £200.

Soldato
There's a few wheelsets that come with adaptors to change from QR to bolt-thru, but in your position, I would not want to buy some £300+ rim brake wheels that won't work on a disc brake bike that you might buy next year.

A tried and tested choice would be the Campgnola Zonda C17s for ~£320 before BC discount.

Alternatively, look at the Prime models for a bargain, you could get the Race version for £150 before BC discount, or the Pro for £250, which might tempt you to buy the 4iiii now as well.

Soldato
Cheer yourself up by getting some wheels!

Look out for probike kit - they discount 4iiii now and again. I got my 4iiii 172.5 5800 for £308 from there.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, I’m kicking myself but will definitely be keeping my eye on prices for the 4iiii as it seems to be the best budget power meter, now let’s look at some wheels :)

Soldato
My 4iiii has been awesome, worth every penny - I waited 2 months for them to pop up in the sale and pounced when the price dropped. Gotta be quick!

Soldato
I've been looking at the PR1600 Dicut non-Oxic version of those as I CBA with needing special pads. But I'm also pondering a disc braked new bike so don't want to buy another set of rim wheels.

Decisions, decisions.

The wheels come with a set of pads included in the box and then after that they just look like swissstop blue.

Mega stopping power wet or dry, without having to have a disc brake bike. Win win.

Back
Top Bottom