Spec me VPN

First issue experienced with Surfshark, I couldn't do a Google search on my Samsung tablet after enabling...

xJN7EMP.jpeg

Roll your own. Get a cheap VPS and install Wireguard, done! :)
Oracle Cloud free tier is a bit of a pain to sign up for (often you'll need to contact support and have them manually process adding your credit card to the account so they can do a 0 charge active card check for security). That said, once you're in you have unlimited access to several powerful VPS free for life. I think the free allocation has changed slightly since I signed up, but I have 4 Ampere cores with 24GB RAM (you can do 1 big VPS or 4 smaller 1c/6GB ones) and an x86 box, with 200GB boot/storage space to share between them. I've been using it for years now without a hiccup, and never charged a cent. One of them (Ampere aarch64) is running Rocky Linux with 2 cores, 12GB RAM and running WireGuard.

Last edited:
I like the word cheap, but after that i have no idea
We're heading off-topic but here's the install script I use:

If you need any more help DM me :)
Oracle Cloud free tier is a bit of a pain to sign up for (often you'll need to contact support and have them manually process adding your credit card to the account so they can do a 0 charge active card check for security). That said, once you're in you have unlimited access to several powerful VPS free for life. I think the free allocation has changed slightly since I signed up, but I have 4 Ampere cores with 24GB RAM (you can do 1 big VPS or 4 smaller 1c/6GB ones) and an x86 box, with 200GB boot/storage space to share between them. I've been using it for years now without a hiccup, and never charged a cent. One of them (Ampere aarch64) is running Rocky Linux with 2 cores, 12GB RAM and running WireGuard.
Thanks for the heads up. Got an account and spun up an AMD VM. Having trouble getting an Ampere stuff provisioned

Thanks for the heads up. Got an account and spun up an AMD VM. Having trouble getting an Ampere stuff provisioned
'Upgrade' to a PAYG account, you get priority (I've never struggled to allocate Ampere resources, ever). You still won't pay anything unless you purposefully go over your free allocation. If the 'estimator' says you'll pay a few pence (or a pound or so) for the boot drive, ignore it - it's a bug, it's free. Just ensure you delete the boot volumes if you scrap any VPS before you make a new one, or you *will* pay for those over 4 volumes/200GB.

Any idea if Oracle free tier offers similar levels of anonymity/privacy like other specific VPN providers Proton/Air, etc. I could be wrong but wouldn't the internet traffic be visible on Oracle's server and them having to keep this information for data scraping/logs.

Any idea if Oracle free tier offers similar levels of anonymity/privacy like other specific VPN providers Proton/Air, etc. I could be wrong but wouldn't the internet traffic be visible on Oracle's server and them having to keep this information for data scraping/logs.
Useful for those public hotspots but I wouldn't be using it for downloading your linux distros or any form of privacy. Similarly, i've struggled getting a (handful of) streaming services to work as the public IP ranges i've been given when spinning up are blacklisted.

Now the weather app in my phone won't update until I disable the Surfshark connection, so that's it getting gone - let's test that money back guarantee..

Not had that issue, also the app has bypasser in VPN settings, you can either select which apps you want VPN to go through , or select apps you don't want VPN to go through, settings called bypass VPN / route via VPN , my use I like to select apps I want VPN to route through instead of everything

That's one of the features I like it has both methods, what I found with nordvpn , ipvanish, pia they only have one way of doing it like you have to go the long way round

Last edited:
Surfshack have processed the refund already, so I'm impressed with that. I'll try another provider and if the issues are the same then I might well go back as there were some nice features there.

I'm now trying Proton with the free version to begin with. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom