Spec Me Wallpaper Paste

Soldato
I have the enviable task of wallpapering my hallway next week, and need some decent, nay, the best (I can easily get) wallpaper paste.

I did one wall with packet mix of some kind from Wickes a few months ago, and most of the edges are coming away. It's also coming away behind the radiator, so I have no faith in their product at all.

Can anyone recommend a really good, slow-drying (i.e. soaks in really well) paste that I don't need to be a member of some guild of master wallpaperers and have completed a 2000 mile journey up the side of a mountain to some mystic wallpapering prophet to gain enlightenment in order to purchase?

Cheers!

Soldato
Solvite wallpaper paste is about the best you can get.

Solvite 10 Roll Wallpaper Adhesive Packet £4:39p

Are you lining the walls first?

Using a lining paper will give a more absorbent surface for you wallcoverings to adhere to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah! Use 1000 gauge lining paper then, Wickes do this gauge.

Also allow a few days for it to fully dry before painting.

I have the same problem here with bad walls, I ended up skimming the walls with a thin coat of Thistle plaster, before painting them.

I'm sure the previous tenant had a fetish with drilling holes.:(

Last edited:
Soldato
Henkel, but Solvite is use by the trade, I've used it for nearly 35 years without problems.

The B&Q, Homebase range is totally different consistency when mixed.

Solvite Extra Strong All Purpose will stick any paper, as long as you mix it correctly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;21633345 said:
Aren't they still all made by two suppliers : Bostick and Henkel? These are who made the B&Q, Homebase et all own brands as well as labelled stuff in 2003- 2006.

I guessed they'd be mostly from same manufacturers, just trying to weedle out the best stuff really.

Caporegime
Globally, there are only really three or four suppliers who can produce the stuff on that scale but that's interesting about the trade specs being significantly different. Those guys always used to tell us it was the same stuff!

(ex Buyer of this stuff for one of the two major DIY'ers in the UK, for what it's worth)

e : removed a sweary, whoops.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah! Use 1000 gauge lining paper then, Wickes do this gauge.

Would you say 1400 is too heavy, as that's what we bought and have a couple of rolls of?

Get Solvite.

I'd avoid anything branded by B&Q because it's utter ****.

I'll try to find some Solvite then. B&Q is a swear word in our house ATM, so we won't be giving them any business.

Back
Top Bottom