Spec me

Can't type for toffee
Don
Got a link to the car ya looking at mate?

Mk2's would have course have the newer VVT/Actuator setup too, iirc the pin was the weak point prior to the change

Been watching the 2nd hand market on MPS's for a while, MK2's have deffo come down in price, well other than the 2 places down south still trying to sell em for like 12k LOL

Soldato
OP
http://www.rs-vehiclesales.co.uk/cars/mazda/3/mps/128002/0

Yes it's slightly older than my car. Same milage though.

It has some body work issues which they agreed to sort.
I also get to keep some upgraded bits from my car and just have to swap them over.

It's had a new turbo late 2015, along with some other bits and bobs.
It's also had a new turbo back exhaust which is nice.

If not this one then they just got a red one in stock which could also be a contender. Wife has agreed to let me get one Monday.

Soldato
9.5k for an 8 year old Mazda :eek: and a new Turbo at 50k miles sure sounds like a careful elderly owner that.
There are a few 2010 examples for 9k about and you would get a 2009 private for 8.5k.
If I was spending 9k I would rather have a 2013 Fiesta ST with a remap. Be more fun and is a newer shape.

Soldato
That doesn't prove anything as that shape Golf and Focus are previous generations compared to the MPs that came out in 2009 as they were nearing the end.
A 2008 Mk1 MPs goes for 6.5k which is less than the Gti, ST and VXR of that generation because nobody wanted them as the badge is not as good as say a "GTI" and the majority of people didn't even know they exist

Soldato
That doesn't prove anything as that shape Golf and Focus are previous generations compared to the MPs that came out in 2009 as they were nearing the end.
A 2008 Mk1 MPs goes for 6.5k which is less than the Gti, ST and VXR of that generation because nobody wanted them as the badge is not as good as say a "GTI" and the majority of people didn't even know they exist

what I am saying tho is that this is kinda normal price for a top end hatch of that year/lower mileage. MPS was always rare/fanboy kinda car, in my opinion a GTI or an ST is a better choice unless you really like mazda's.

if market was full of them for sale then the prices would be lower but all in they are pretty rare cars hence the premium. Prices have not moved much over the last two years either.

Soldato
OP
I have looked at the other cars that are similar. But all those will cause me to loose my bits like my Alloys, Headunit and car seat. All of which i paid extra for. This place is letting me swap them all into the MPS.

I Really like the shape, and the feel of the mazda 3. I know how much bits cost when they need doing and i can do them all myself. (such as the drop links and other little things that wear out more often). Hell i have a bunch of spares for my car that will also be fine on the MPS as its the same thing apart from the engine :O

Soldato
what I am saying tho is that this is kinda normal price for a top end hatch of that year/lower mileage. MPS was always rare/fanboy kinda car, in my opinion a GTI or an ST is a better choice unless you really like mazda's.

if market was full of them for sale then the prices would be lower but all in they are pretty rare cars hence the premium. Prices have not moved much over the last two years either.
Yes I totally agree the mk2 MPS does hold its value well as there is so few around but I think if OP looks around properly he could get a 2009 private for 8.5k and there is even a few dealerships with 2010 models for 9k so the one Diagro linked to is a little overpriced imo

Soldato
OP
Yes I totally agree the mk2 MPS does hold its value well as there is so few around but I think if OP looks around properly he could get a 2009 private for 8.5k and there is even a few dealerships with 2010 models for 9k so the one Diagro linked to is a little overpriced imo

The dealer is actually doing a great deal with me. Ignore the listed price :)

Soldato
The dealer is actually doing a great deal with me. Ignore the listed price :)
Oh in that case it sounds like a good deal then especially if they are letting you swap your bits over aswell from your old car. Have you had a test drive yet?

Soldato
OP
Oh in that case it sounds like a good deal then especially if they are letting you swap your bits over as well from your old car. Have you had a test drive yet?

Not yet. My wife wants to come with and she won't do that until Monday afternoon.
So no final decision to be made till Monday evening.

If it does ago ahead then i will be turning up there Friday and swapping all the bits over on site... thankfully i can prob get that done in under 2 hours.

Soldato
OP
Well.

I test drove it the mps.

I must say... It was disappointing.
My car feels faster, more zoom zoom than the MPS.
The car had a nice exhaust sound though and engine feel.

Grumbles at full steering lock though.. possible LSD grumble?
Had the typical drop link clunk from the rear.

I'm now not sure... I like the near 380ft of torque my car has at 210bhp... Prob why it feels faster than 260bhp/280ft

What would you all do?

Caporegime
You have probably grown used to the low down torque of yours. Back to back when driving both as they were intended to be driven, the MPS will be much faster, but in general driving it is probably a bit less flexible due to the nature of the torque delivery on the 2.2D. The MPS will be about the fastest and torquiest hot hatch which meets your specs, so you might have to re-consider your options if it doesn't live up to expectations!

Remember that your car is already stage 1+/stage 2 tuned as well. Do the same to the MPS and it will be in the 320 - 350BHP range.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't bother. That might well be what they cost but screw the idea of paying £10,000 to end up with an old Mazda3 and all the associated old Mazda3 style issues. Thats fine on a £3k cheapy but £10k!?

Soldato
Well.

I test drove it the mps.

I must say... It was disappointing.
My car feels faster, more zoom zoom than the MPS.
The car had a nice exhaust sound though and engine feel.

Grumbles at full steering lock though.. possible LSD grumble?
Had the typical drop link clunk from the rear.

I'm now not sure... I like the near 380ft of torque my car has at 210bhp... Prob why it feels faster than 260bhp/280ft

What would you all do?
Why are U wanting to get rid anyway after spending money on your current car over the last year?
Did you test drive it properly in terms of taking it to 7k revs in every gear :D or was the salesman in the car with u?
Obviously driven properly it would spank your diesel but if it didn't have the wow factor then why bother changing and spending more money?

Back
Top Bottom