Speccing a system for Autodesk Maya 2018 – advice please!

Soldato
Ok, one last question (maybe!) if I may...

I was originally going for the Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...92mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1a4-gi.html

Then orbitalwalsh recommended the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING OC card:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...92mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1a5-gi.html

The Gaming OC is £70 more than the Windforce. Is it worth spending the extra for the boost? I can't seem to find any head-to-head reviews.

Thanks!

The Gaming OC has a 4 year warranty if you register it online, and a bit of a clock boost out of the box. The Windforce has a 3 year warranty. So you would need to decide if that is worth the extra cash. They are both out of stock any way at the moment so maybe check on an ETA if you don't want to hold your build up.

Associate
OP
Thanks Adam182 and lee32uk, great advice as always!

I knew there would be one more question (sorry!). I was going for the Dark Rock Pro 4 as recommended by...well...most people here! I have an NZXT H500 case (which is really nice, BTW – neat, fairly compact, minimalist, thoughtful layout inside). It mentions the depth clearance for a CPU fan cooler is 165mm. The DR Pro 4's height is 163mm. I'm thinking it's gonna be very, very tight to get it in (and I don't know what thickness MB and CPU they use to get those clearances).

So, can anyone recommend a slightly lower profile CPU fan cooler that would have more clearance please? Ones I think will work are:

Dark Rock 4 single fan £61.99 (159.4mm)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler-hs-01d-bq.html

Cryorig H7 Plus dual fan £41.99 (145mm)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-plus-cpu-heatsink-with-2-x-120mm-fans-hs-010-cy.html

Gigabyte Aorus ATC700 dual fan £59.99 (158mm) to sit nicely on my Gigabyte Aorus Pro MB? :D
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-aorus-atc700-cpu-cooler-2x-120mm-hs-008-gi.html

Arctic Freezer esports edition £39.95 (150mm)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...cpu-cooler-2x-120mm-hs-06q-ar.html#tech_specs

Any thoughts on this please? Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just a thought off the back of my post above; if a fan cooler isn't going to cut it, should I start thinking about liquid cooling? They seem quite expensive – and a bit scary! :eek:

Associate
OP
Genius! I looked everywhere for info on it, good find lee32uk!

So, it's really snug but it will just fit. Shame it's such a monster, it really overwhelmes the case. Are there slightly smaller coolers that would do the same (or similar) job?

Soldato
Get the dark rock !

Gigabyte cooler ... The mounting system is over engineered ! To much, to complex - like it was designed for enterprise use !
Dark rock is better , cooler and quieter .
Not sure about new Aorus cooler but take the dark rock !

Associate
OP
Thanks orbitalwalsh – I did!

Most of my parts arrived over the weekend so I spent an absorbing few hours today getting to know where all the bits and pieces go, installing the CPU, RAM, Dark Rock Pro 4 (what a beast it is! Just fits into the H500 case...thankfully), then panicking about if I'd put enough thermal paste on the CPU (I'm sure it's fine). It was quite enjoyable.

Just waiting for the RTX 2070 now, and I'm done.

I found 2 long temperature sensors in the Aorus Pro box. I see where they connect to on the MB, but I have absolutely no idea where to put the sensor ends in the H500 case. Googling it doesn't seem to give any definitive answers (apart from not to sandwich them between the CPU and cooler! :D). Does anyone have any suggestions? Are they important, or is it ok to just leave them off?

The case came with 2 120mm fans, both set up stock for negative pressure (one on the top and one at the rear). I've read up on the best way to cool cases and am thinking of going positive pressure, so changing the top fan to be an inlet (that'll blow down onto the DR Pro 4) and keeping the rear fan as an outlet. Then I might add 1 or 2 140mm fans to the front of the case as inlets.

Can anyone guide me on this please? Is my suggestion a good idea? The NZXT H500 doesn't have a huge grille at the front for intake (has a long thin filtered one down the front right hand side). I have read that this setup might impact on the GPU temps (I'm getting an RTX Gaming OC with 3x fans on the top – not a blower style) due to the hot air being sucked back in again through the rear grilles. Is this true?

I've read so much about cooling but still seem to be none the wiser! There are so many opinions out there. Would appreciate some help if possible please.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Hi! Just a small question about my recent build – if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

So the build went really well, and the system is running fine. I've done a couple of test renders and it's a LOT faster than my Mac so already Maya is much more enjoyable to use, with more immediate results.

The RAM was running at 2133MHz until I enabled XMP, where it went up to 3200MHz.

One odd thing I've noticed though: The CPU is an i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz. However, according to the Aorus Pro Hardware Monitor it seems to be running at 4.7GHz, with the CPU vCore at 1.368v. I haven't done any overclocking (still don't know how!). Is this right? What's going on?

At idle, CPU is stable at around 20˚C. During a render, it goes up to a stable 80˚C. I'm guessing this is all fine?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Soldato
I found 2 long temperature sensors in the Aorus Pro box. I see where they connect to on the MB, but I have absolutely no idea where to put the sensor ends in the H500 case. Googling it doesn't seem to give any definitive answers (apart from not to sandwich them between the CPU and cooler! :D). Does anyone have any suggestions? Are they important, or is it ok to just leave them off?

You can leave them off, just there if you're curious about temps in certain parts of the case.

The case came with 2 120mm fans, both set up stock for negative pressure (one on the top and one at the rear). I've read up on the best way to cool cases and am thinking of going positive pressure, so changing the top fan to be an inlet (that'll blow down onto the DR Pro 4) and keeping the rear fan as an outlet. Then I might add 1 or 2 140mm fans to the front of the case as inlets.

Can anyone guide me on this please? Is my suggestion a good idea? The NZXT H500 doesn't have a huge grille at the front for intake (has a long thin filtered one down the front right hand side). I have read that this setup might impact on the GPU temps (I'm getting an RTX Gaming OC with 3x fans on the top – not a blower style) due to the hot air being sucked back in again through the rear grilles. Is this true?

I've read so much about cooling but still seem to be none the wiser! There are so many opinions out there. Would appreciate some help if possible please.

Thanks!

I'll give it a crack but only based on what I've seen and heard of the H500, haven't used it myself.

With stock configuration you are right, it's set up for negative pressure. And two exhaust/outlet fans should be more effective at creating enough negative pressure to suck in more cool air from the front/side. The location of the top fan is a bit too far to the back to be an effective help for the CPU cooler in an intake role. And as soon as that air comes in, the rear exhaust fan will be sucking much of it right out of the case. Ideally, if you were going with positive pressure, it would be more to the front, and be able to feed the cooler's first fan. But it's definitely in the right place for negative pressure. So you might find that temps can drop a few degrees by returning both fans to exhaust. Only way to know is to try.

Adding 2x140mm front fans should help with GPU temp and maybe CPU temp.

Back
Top Bottom