Speck me a £400 basic gaming PC

Associate
OP
Well since i giv
e a lot of money, a person who streams online noticed quite a performance boost going from 2400mhz ram to 3000mhz, he has a 1500x ryzen processor.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/memory/ddr4/ddr4-3000-mhz

I am not the best person to pick the best ram but i know for sure lower the ram timings the better performance you get so to speak.

Your looking at about £200 for the ram.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...nnel-kit-black-red-tdprd416g30-my-071-tg.html

To be honest 8gb of ram is the bare minimum to play games with, 16gb is the ideal amount nowadays.

The more ram the less hiccups you get with the game demanding more ram than you currently have because if you don't have enough ram it will start to use virtual memory which comes from the hdd and it will hiccup or stutter.

If you say a ssd will be good as virtual memory i say ddr4 is a lot faster so i'd pick the ram here.

For the money what you will get you will be able to play game on high/max @ 1080p for sure.

The Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b30-my-445-cs.html#awards) also seem to operate at same levels, no?

Maybe if I find the used parts section of OCUK forums, I'll see what SSD's are people selling and see if I can stretch further

Soldato
As you're still on a budget and upgrading the CPU and MB you will be fine with the standard Team Group listed in the below spec as the Gigabyte board will hit the XMP for this memory with the latest BIOS/AGESA update:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £580.16 (includes shipping: £12.30)

However, if you want to spend ~£210 the you may as well get a 3200MHz set and know that it will hit 3000MHz but may hit 3200MHz now or on the future if you're lucky:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £208.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Associate
OP
Soldato
I want to learn as I build, hence my low level questions:

1. What does a better PSU enable?
2. With the RAM, theres only £11 difference between 2400MHz and 3200MHz. Is it worth saving that £11 for potentially slower speed?
  1. You're jumping from a budget spec to a very respectable/quality build - the only weakness being the budget PSU. A quality platinum efficiency PSU backed a 5 year warranty is a wiser choice for your new build for an extra ~£15 if you can afford it.
  2. Depends on your funds. There's no guarantee you'll hit 3200Mhz - but you will definitely hit 3000MHZ (2933MHz) with either set. You would be spending the extra £11 in the hope of hitting 3200MHz now or in the future with future BIOS/AGESA updates. Ryzen performs better with faster memory and 3000+ is the sweet spot - your choice as to what you can afford.
I would pick a better PSU over 200MHz if you have to choose between the two - as the above spec coupled with a GTX 970 is worth investing in a quality PSU.

Associate
OP
  1. You're jumping from a budget spec to a very respectable/quality build - the only weakness being the budget PSU. A quality platinum efficiency PSU backed a 5 year warranty is a wiser choice for your new build for an extra ~£15 if you can afford it.
  2. Depends on your funds. There's no guarantee you'll hit 3200Mhz - but you will definitely hit 3000MHZ (2933MHz) with either set. You would be spending the extra £11 in the hope of hitting 3200MHz now or in the future with future BIOS/AGESA updates. Ryzen performs better with faster memory and 3000+ is the sweet spot - your choice as to what you can afford.
I would pick a better PSU over 200MHz if you have to choose between the two - as the above spec coupled with a GTX 970 is worth investing in a quality PSU.

Would you recommend the 1 x Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24 above or VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - RED (CMK16GX4M2A2400 (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...hannel-kit-red-cmk16gx4m2a2400-my-438-cs.html) ? seems to be 1o quid cheaper

Soldato
Would you recommend the 1 x Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24 above or VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - RED (CMK16GX4M2A2400 (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...hannel-kit-red-cmk16gx4m2a2400-my-438-cs.html) ? seems to be 1o quid cheaper
I personally buy Corsair - but there's no difference. Both will hit 3000MHz using XMP and it would be down to luck if you could run tighter timings on either set.

The red of the Corsair would compliment the MB colouring - something to consider with a windowed case.

Associate
OP
I personally buy Corsair - but there's no difference. Both will hit 3000MHz using XMP and it would be down to luck if you could run tighter timings on either set.

The red of the Corsair would compliment the MB colouring - something to consider with a windowed case.

What else do I need, any idea of a silent CPU cooler?

Anything else I need? Wires or cables etc?

Soldato
What else do I need, any idea of a silent CPU cooler?

Anything else I need? Wires or cables etc?
if you're buying the Ryzen 1600 then the stock Wraith cooler is more than adequate - even if condidering a moderate clock.

Your MB, PSU still come with all the cables you need. Perhaps a DP/HDMI cable for the monitor. Depends on your monitor/inputs and what you want to use.

Do you need a WiFi or will the PC be hardwired into the network?

Associate
OP
if you're buying the Ryzen 1600 then the stock Wraith cooler is more than adequate - even if condidering a moderate clock.

Your MB, PSU still come with all the cables you need. Perhaps a DP/HDMI cable for the monitor. Depends on your monitor/inputs and what you want to use.

Do you need a WiFi or will the PC be hardwired into the network?

I already have an HDMI, mouse etc.

With the WiFi, I have a basic TP Link WiFi module. Would that be sufficient?

Soldato
Thank you. Once @lltfdaniel informs me that the GPU is posted, I'll order the remaining parts and build it.
Looking at @lltfdaniel's #32 post he's really gone 'above and beyond' in making sure the GPU gets to you safely at considerable cost.

Yea for whatever reason if the gtx 970 doesn't work i'll order you a gtx 1060 so no worries.
@lltfdaniel - don't paint yourself into a corner bud. The act of donating the GTX 970 is generous enough - more than generous. Buying a GTX 1060 if for some reason it doesn't work would be too much - especially if you have to wait to be paid to afford it. That would indicate to me that you don't have funds to spare/savings.

You've already been incredibly generous - don't put your self out of pocket if for some reason the card doesn't work.

Associate
OP
Looking at @lltfdaniel's #32 post he's really gone 'above and beyond' in making sure the GPU gets to you safely at considerable cost.

@lltfdaniel - don't paint yourself into a corner bud. The act of donating the GTX 970 is generous enough - more than generous. Buying a GTX 1060 if for some reason it doesn't work would be too much - especially if you have to wait to be paid to afford it. That would indicate to me that you don't have funds to spare/savings.

You've already been incredibly generous - don't put your self out of pocket if for some reason the card doesn't work.

Honestly this is not necessary. I cant believe you went out of your way for this. I am truly grateful. The GTX 970 was more than enough and now you went and did this.

Back
Top Bottom