Speeding - Notice of Intended Prosecution

Soldato
found this on another forum. maybe totally coincidental.

Time for an update. A summary of what happened so far:

• 10/03/04 – received a NIP from Cheshire Constabulary for allegedly doing 58 in a temporary 50 ("road works") on M6 motorway. Alleged offence was on 29/02/04. Camera was SPECS.

• Didn't fill in form but wrote back politely saying it could have been myself or my partner driving and I don't keep a written log of who drives on which day. Politely said I had done everything in my power to exercise due diligence. Requested photographs.

• 31/03/04 – photos arrived but just showed number plate and nothing else as alleged offence happened during the middle of the night. Wrote back reiterating that I still couldn't identify the driver.

• 22/04/04 – Manager of Central Ticket Office at Cheshire Constabulary wrote back saying the file has been referred to PC xxxx "who will consider whether the matter will be proceeded with under Section 172 of RTA 1988, for failing to furnish the Police with driver information."

Have heard nothing more since.

At the end of August it will be six months since date of alleged offence. Do they have between now and then to prosecute?

If anyone else has any similar dealings with Cheshire Police, I hope these details of my experience will be of some use.

Cheshire are operating the SPECS scameras on the notorious M6 Thelwall Viaduct roadworks – they are catching thousands because the 40mph zone continues unnecessarily on a normal stretch of both carriageways for a long way after you have cleared the roadworks. (I say unnecessarily, but of course it is necessary if you want to make as much cash as possible.)

Associate
OP
Cheers opstrat. I'm mainly confused about the letter being addressed to myself and not the registered owner(my dad), as I have no idea how they could identify it as being me.

I'll ring the Central Ticket Office number at the bottom of the letter when they open on Monday and see what they say. I'm assuming its all official but I'll just be wary as I proceed.

Soldato
Technology is always moving forward, for all we know they have crystal clear images of a young man driving and after cross-referencing the databases they're levelling their accusation at the person they think committed the offence.

Man of Honour
Technology is always moving forward, for all we know they have crystal clear images of a young man driving and after cross-referencing the databases they're levelling their accusation at the person they think committed the offence.

Why do that when the RK has a legal obligation to identify the driver under 172 RTA?

a 3 day turn around is very quick as well, normally 2 weeks ish. and come from the police.

It's usually done ASAP to prevent issues under the 14 day NIP rule, so 3 days sounds reasonable.

I'd bet money it was legit.

Soldato
If you have your doubts, it may be more sensible to find the number for the ticket office online from a verified source. If it did turn out to be a scam then calling the number on the bottom of the letter would be potentially a very bad thing to do :p

Man of Honour
If you have your doubts, it may be more sensible to find the number for the ticket office online from a verified source. If it did turn out to be a scam then calling the number on the bottom of the letter would be potentially a very bad thing to do :p

If you wanted to find a legit number, call 01244 350 000 and get the central switchboard to put you through.

Associate
OP
It is odd that it has your name on it if your name is no where on the registration document

Yeah that's the part I'm really confused about.

That's partly what I was thinking. 3 of us are insured to drive the car, my mum and dad are both in their 50s and I'm 25.

Maybe your dad give you a christmas present and put the car in your name?

The cars 3 years old and worth around £35k with the milage it's done at the moment so I'd hope not :p. No way I'd accept it.

If you wanted to find a legit number, call 01244 350 000 and get the central switchboard to put you through.

The number at the bottom of the page is local to my parents but i'll have a look around.

Soldato
Looks legit to me. Google suggests that's the correct office for the CTO.

Can't explain why it came to you though, is the car definitely in your parent's name?

Back
Top Bottom