Speeding

Associate
All depends on circumstances, some are actually ok.

I remember reading that if you get pulled over and there is only one of them and they have no evidence (Speed gun etc). This is why they say "Do you know why I pulled you over" because people instantly admit guilt usually and then they can slap you with a fine and points depending on their mood. However if you say don't know then they will probably badger you about driving without due care and attention.

In my experience (Once) I was pulled over and said I may have been going fast but he said If I admitted it he would let me go without a fine etc. Seemed an OK copper despite checking tyres etc and was told to slow down abit.

(38) in a 30

Soldato
I was followed a few years back for the full stretch of the M18 doing a stupid speed that I should not have been travelling at.

He told me his dissapointment and that I could face a ban. He did say that my signalling, general control of the car, stopping distances and lane discipline were very good.

I think he could see that I wasn't driving recklessley, just taking advantage of the clear / quiet road on a long journey home and then let me on my way with a stern ticking off.

That said, I no longer drive at the speeds I was stopped at and I did learn a valuable lesson. Which shows his approach worked.

But as you say yourself, you were driving safely, so what lesson did you learn? That you might lose your license?

Soldato
I was totally honest and told him I was fully aware of the speed I was doing. Pretending otherwise gets you nowhere.

i done the same, i was totally honest that i was still accelerating when he stuck his hand out of the bush to slow me down, because i thought i was in a NSL zone. When he asked my speed, i said 52mph (was doing about 58 indicated) and i was bang on the marks, 52mph. Guy only gave me 3 points instead of a court visit + 4-6points.

Soldato
They have to follow you for a certain distance if you pulled over before that distance they can't do you.

I had it with motorbike bobby years ago I overtook a van that had been doing 20mph in a 40 looking for an address I checked my mirror as I went into 3rd to see a single headlight trying to catch me up so pulled straight over.

We had a discussion he said as I pulled straight over he hadn't followed me for sufficient distance to get an accurate speed. Told me to calm it and let me go.

So the moral is as soon as a copper tries to catch you pull over straight away.

Man of Honour
Interesting. If only all police managed to garner this reputation.

Its amazing how many people will argue that they did nothing wrong, that you are out to get them and then expect that you should just let them go.

If you listen to what is being said and take it on board, then in most situations I don't see the point in taking it any further. If I don't believe what you are saying think you won't change your behaviour, then a ticket or summons is much more likely.

At the end of the day, all that most Police Officers want is for you to stop doing what you are doing and not do it again.

Soldato
Limits are generally sensible on minor roads where pedastrians share the roads or twisty b roads where you can't see obstacles (although this should be obvious without the need for limits). Motorways though shouldn't have 70mph limits, it's madness.

Cars should have speed limits because frankly a nissan micra wasn't made for high speed and isn't safe.

Weather should have limits too because the spray and loss of traction is a real and serious danger.

Limits for congestion work too, not so much for tail-gaters because that should be punished at any speed, but because it genuinely does help reduce congestion.

but a universal 70mph limit unrelated to the conditions, capability of the car or driver or the relative speed to other vehicles on the road? Sheer bureaucratic lunacy. It's like saying doing what needs to be done is too hard, so we did this instead.

Soldato
but a universal 70mph limit unrelated to the conditions, capability of the car or driver or the relative speed to other vehicles on the road? Sheer bureaucratic lunacy. It's like saying doing what needs to be done is too hard, so we did this instead.

I'd have no issues with different cars being limited to different speeds so long as it was also tied to the driver. If you want to be allowed to do 100mph on the motorway in a Porche then that's fine, but you should also have certification that you are able to handle a car at those speeds on public roads when things start to go wrong, not only with your car but with others around you (unexpecte braking/manuvers etc). Too many people have access to very powerful cars that they have no ability to control correctly and seem under the impression that owning the car itself is a right to travel at high speed.

On the note of speed in general, I have found that I drive far more sedatly in my new Octavia than I did in my Focus. Partly that is probably because it just has more power so I don't feel the need to rag it around, but i also just whack it into cruise and let it go. As a result I'm finding I'm sitting at or around (+5mph) the limit most of the time rather than 55 in a 40 or 90 in a 70.

I also wonder if havinga trip computer constantly telling me that I'm killing the economy has had some influence.

Please don't arrest me Burnsy :p

Soldato
I was doing far more than what I should have been doing in a 40, but I was let off for no apparent reason too. Maybe it was because I was driving fast on a straight stretch of road and slow around the corner I was taking? Who knows. Time was around 10 PM as well.

I am never going that fast again on an empty dual carriageway. Dangerous and pushing luck!

Soldato
I'd have no issues with different cars being limited to different speeds so long as it was also tied to the driver. If you want to be allowed to do 100mph on the motorway in a Porche then that's fine, but you should also have certification that you are able to handle a car at those speeds on public roads

I couldn't agree more, it still amazes me that people pass their test having never driven in the dark. I'd much rather the license was given by completing so many hours of professional tuition under varying conditions (e.g. 20 hours of night time driving, 20 hours of wet, 5 hours of dual carraigway, total time no less than 80 hours).

Soldato
I have also been stopped doing what would be a licence losing speed on a quiet motorway in the evening. A stern talking to and general chat possibly aided by my best humble look or possibly as the guys were about to go off shift were all I received. I have quite honestly never travelled at that speed again (not that I have many times in the past.).

Of the times I've been pulled over by traffic cops it seems to be 50/50 whether you'll get a decent enough guy or someone who is frankly on a power trip.

Permabanned
When i was younger got cought speeding and got away with it but only because he couldnt prove it, he did however pull be up 20 times in the following month due to not being able to prove it i had to go to the police station and put a complaint in to stop it

Soldato
Never had points or fines. Been stopped twice, both times I said fair cop I was speeding and both times just got a minor ticking off and sent on my way. Both times were 80-85 on NSL in the middle of the night. A little humility goes a long way with the police, the second time I said sorry and that I was just giving my new car the beans to see what it was capable of. Now the motor I drive are barely capable of 70 on flat motorway:( :p

Soldato
They can use their discretion.

I remember an episode of Road Wars where they were travelling down the motorway and saw someone undertaking, tailgating and speeding. The officer put the fear of God into him - said he would go to court and loose his licence and the guy actually started crying.

After the rollocking he said, I'm not going to take you to court but take this as a lesson learnt and he got away scott free.

Man of Honour
On the hole I stick to the limit or maximum 10% over. There are a few occasions when I will briefly top out much higher. I used to push it more, but just can't be bothered with the hassle of potentially being pulled over these days.

I did have a cop car follow me briefly a while back on the motorway - I hadn't noticed how fast I was going. I think he was making a point since I slowed down and he pulled away.

Associate
whats the rush with all these people "oh i was doing 60 in a 40zone" ect. seriously. will driving over the speed limit for that stretch of road really impact your life that much?.

i dont see the point in hammering down the motorway at insane speeds. just chillout and cruise for those 2 hours.

if i do want to go on a spirited drive it would probably be on some quiet country roads were i can enjoy the car.

sitting at 100mph on a motorway just isnt worth my license.

Soldato
I was pulled over for speeding recently and didn't get any penalty. I am curious as to why I got away with it. Do they need to have tracked your speed using a speed gun?

Thanks

Most cops are decent guys, if you simply stay polite and apologise they usually let you off. Unless you're dealing with an old fossile who has had a bad day or traffic police actively shafting motorists...

In my experience anyway. Got away with doing silly ''lose license speeds'' after being stopped once, also quite bit few times for minor speeding ( -20kph to fast). Usually just admit I was going a bit to fast and after a documents/reg check and an alcohol check I'm on my way again.

Only time I actually ''got done'' for speeding is by a speed camera.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I never admit to speeding. I don't care how stroppy the policeman gets, Can someone confirm if a motorist admits speeding thats proof enough for prosecution?

The only two ways the police can catch you speeding.

The police car is tracking you from behind
or
Are lasered and they have your reg on camera

For example, if a police car sees you on the opposite side of the road clearly speeding, or you whizz past one hiding in a junction there is no proof of what speed you were doing. In these cases I keep my mouth shut.
The reason they let you off is because they have no evidence.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been stopped a few times, mostly when I was under 20, but I've never had points or a fine. I've never been stopped by a traffic cop - only ordinary patrols who actually aren't really interested in dishing out tickets. Many of them won't even have tickets in the car with them.

If the coppers got a white hat your odds of getting a ticket are much higher. I know lots of policemen and women, and they don't much like traffic officers themselves.

Back
Top Bottom