Speeding

InQ

InQ

Associate
I never admit to speeding. I don't care how stroppy the policeman gets, Can someone confirm if a motorist admits speeding thats proof enough for prosecution?

The only two ways the police can catch you speeding.

The police car is tracking you from behind
or
Are lasered and they have your reg on camera

For example, if a police car sees you on the opposite side of the road clearly speeding, or you whizz past one hiding in a junction there is no proof of what speed you were doing. In these cases I keep my mouth shut.
The reason they let you off is because they have no evidence.

No you dont have to have your reg on camera, Copper stood at the side of the road with a speed gun measuring your speed is enough. If you dont want to agree and pay the FPN (assuming the speed is in that range) then you can argue it out with a Magistrate with the Copper providing evidence. One guess who the Mag will believe?

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I know lots of policemen and women, and they don't much like traffic officers themselves.
^ This.

Haven't been stopped yet and I never intend to be stopped.

There are occasions where I will be doing over the limit on the motorway, but that's generally only on the M1 / A1(M) when I'm going to / coming back from York and the road is completely empty at night. Even then, it's never going to be by much because 1) I only have my little 1.4, and 2) it's probably downhill...

Drove across the city last night and didn't once come over 30 (and this was at 2;30...), yet the amount of people I saw ragging around, most likely doing 50/60+ in 30 and 40 zones. I was amazed. At that time of night, the last thing I want to do is race around anywhere, I want a nice gentle drive through town. If it were a monotonous and boring route across the motorway, I'd understand it a bit more. But around town?
:confused::confused::confused:

Associate
Reading this thread reminded me of my experience a year ago. I had just got my Golf GTI and was having too much fun in the first few months.

I got pulled over for doing 90+ in a 50 zone and was pretty worried about points. But after asking me about my speed and me being honest and polite and then after the checks he just gave me a warning. I was seriously surprised and relieved.

Being pulled over that day was a reality check for me and now I don't go speeding around everywhere (more selective now ;)), so in a way I'm actually glad that happened, which I guess is the result the Police want.

Soldato
this reminds me of the time my younger sister came off her bike and smashed her head on the road. was blue lighted to the JR in Oxford for a CT scan etc as she was highly concussed.

My mum called me sounding extremely worried so i jumped in the car a proceeded down to Oxford. Being worried i never looked at my speed until i saw an officer in my rear view mirror and i noticed i had hit over 110mph down the M40. he simply pulled along side, shook his finger and carried on.

I just wasn't aware of my speed and all i could think of was getting down to Oxford to see her. Shook me though to realise how quick i was going :eek:

thankfully my younger sister was fine after a short say

Soldato
whats the rush with all these people "oh i was doing 60 in a 40zone" ect. seriously. will driving over the speed limit for that stretch of road really impact your life that much?.

i dont see the point in hammering down the motorway at insane speeds. just chillout and cruise for those 2 hours.

if i do want to go on a spirited drive it would probably be on some quiet country roads were i can enjoy the car.

sitting at 100mph on a motorway just isnt worth my license.

Siting on an empty motorway at 90-100 in a capable car is safe

Hooning round the countryside isn't

Soldato
meh I think I've been pretty lucky.

I'm 22 and I passed at 17, and despite pretty much speeding on every road (not excessivly) I've never even been pulled over... and in the last 2 years I've been doing 15k a year (which must be at least average)

I do have a gift for spotting cops a mile away though so i think that helps.

Soldato
Last week I cruised past a Golf probably doing about 80 ish, I was doing about 90. Suddenly blue lights lit up over the front, I slowed down and they just rolled past giving me a signal to slow it down a bit and off they went.

I was very lucky I think.

Associate
I don't do a great deal of motorway driving, but whenever I do, the police are always doing the same speed as everyone else, so they don't bother anyone. Everyone doing 90 sensibly is no more dangerous than everyone doing 70 sensibly.

The stupidest thing I ever did was 147mph on a dual carriageway at 2am a couple of years ago. My brother phoned me while on a night out in a town about 15 miles from here in quite a drunken state, his friends had left him, and he'd just been assaulted, so I honestly couldn't give a stuff about the law. Some male member in a stupid, pimped out Impreza thought I was trying to race him :mad:

I'm otherwise pretty sensible.

Soldato
I don't do a great deal of motorway driving, but whenever I do, the police are always doing the same speed as everyone else, so they don't bother anyone. Everyone doing 90 sensibly is no more dangerous than everyone doing 70 sensibly..

I've never seen a police car do anything more than about 65 on a motorway unless it had it's lights on. Then you get a nice procession of people unwilling to overtake because they are surely going to be arrested the second their bumper gets in front.

Soldato
114mph indicated via GPS 7 years ago in a MK1 Focus RS :o
3AM on a Wednesday night, M40.

Got asked where i was going, home i said, why the rush? Hungry and getting tired, had a bad day.

Said he could make it worse but just take it easy and drive home safe, he did mention i was doing wayy over the limit but never got into specifics of how much and never asked.
Unmarked Mondeo i think.

I've never seen a police car do anything more than about 65 on a motorway unless it had it's lights on. .

Seriously? Seen em do well close to a ton with no lights on. Also on the North Circ i've seen em cruising at 70-80 easily going by how far they went ahead and the time they took, no lights.. mostly late at night.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only been pulled over on a random check thankfully.

I've been up at just over 120 indicated going down the M74. These days I sit at 55 indicated in the 50, 60 indicated in the 60 and between 65-70indicated on the 70 stretches. Only way to make the fuel last any length of time. I did do 110ish from J5 to the new section one day and then stuck to the limit. Was so glad when I did as the cops were sitting with the gun out a mile up the road.

It's not the fact driving fast scares me it's other people. I was sitting in lane 1 doing 50ish in the 50 when a woman went Lane 1 > Lane 3 almost instantly and a guy in an insignia was flyinggggggggggg up lane 3 doing at least 100. He had the brakes on heavy as the brake lights were flashing like mad. Poor guy **** it due to her terrible driving.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seriously? Seen em do well close to a ton with no lights on. Also on the North Circ i've seen em cruising at 70-80 easily going by how far they went ahead and the time they took, no lights.. mostly late at night.

Most of them cruise at 60 on the motorway, otherwise they'd cause massive tail-backs.

Associate
I don't really get speeding in 30's and 40's.

Round here they're mostly built up areas with lots of junctions and traffic during the day and the occasional ****ed up reveller wandering across the road late on.

I always think people speeding in them have exceptionally poor judgement.

Caporegime
I've never had an issue doing ~80 on a motorway (except in my HGV!) I was stopped once on the M5 in Somerset, I had been travelling around 80 when I was pulled over, it turned out my numberplate was loose (only held on with double sided tape) and that was the reason I was stopped.

I freely mentioned my speed to the officer when he asked me how fast I was going and he said as - at the time - I was driving a BMW 7 Series that had good tyres & was in good condition, he had no issue, especially given i was flowing with everybody else as opposed to trying to make progress through the traffic as such.

He said, the road conditions, speed, condition of the car / type of car were big considerations, the biggest was the attitude of the driver once being spoken too.

Food for thought.

Soldato
So say you are doing 100mph and get stopped.

The police man asks, sir do you know how fast you were going?

Do you respond with:

- Um not really, 70?
or
- yes officer I was doing 100 and I am sorry I will not do it again.

I got pulled for speeding and when asked how fast was going I said "about 90" the officers said something like "I did not catch that, did you say you were not sure"..

I think he was telling me not to admit it since there was no way he could not not caught what I was saying!

Back
Top Bottom