***Official Squad Thread***

Soldato
Well finally had time to have a bash with the game last night on the new machine, getting good performance with the 1440p.

First time I really played this as only messed around the training ground on the old laptop before. Keeping an open mind but got a taste of the toxic community straight away, lot of bad vibes on both Tactical Gamer and Rusty In Places servers.

Would have thought UI would move on a bit more but at least they are still concentrating on the fundamentals at the moment. Could definitely do with more map variety and more inspiring design and attention to detail but that's more cosmetic work.

Think I'll still keep playing Project Reality as it's a more polished experience for the time being.

Also need to play around with the graphical settings as I was getting absolutely horrible contrast issues on Basrah, literally couldn't see on some parts of the map unless I pulled up a scope. Is that just something I'm experiencing or some weird sun glare simulation?

Associate
Well finally had time to have a bash with the game last night on the new machine, getting good performance with the 1440p.

First time I really played this as only messed around the training ground on the old laptop before. Keeping an open mind but got a taste of the toxic community straight away, lot of bad vibes on both Tactical Gamer and Rusty In Places servers.

Would have thought UI would move on a bit more but at least they are still concentrating on the fundamentals at the moment. Could definitely do with more map variety and more inspiring design and attention to detail but that's more cosmetic work.

Think I'll still keep playing Project Reality as it's a more polished experience for the time being.

Also need to play around with the graphical settings as I was getting absolutely horrible contrast issues on Basrah, literally couldn't see on some parts of the map unless I pulled up a scope. Is that just something I'm experiencing or some weird sun glare simulation?
I get the same, think its a common problem with the game at the moment, I LOVE the game but it does depend on what squad you end up in,ive had some of my best gaming moments playing squad, ive also had some of my worse

Soldato
OP
Really does vary from server to server. Some servers are ultra competitive so if you're new or not quite sure how things are done they do seem to get mega salty.

Soldato
OP

That's to do with eye adaption. It's pretty broken on Basrah currently. All maps are being tweaked currently.

Soldato
To be fair I've enough experience with PR and lot with Works of Tanks, so toxic communities don't faze me in the slightest :p

Just trying to learn the maps and get used to the mechanics right now so can start squad leading myself as soon as possible.

Also do machine guns and such don't have a deployed mode like in Project Reality, recoil seems pretty wild even when prone.

What servers do people recommend?

Associate
Don't they? Wasnt that part of the last patch?

I do find as well some people seem to have no patience for newbies seemingly forgetting they where new once upon a time....

I enjoy the SR server, along with QFF and RIP.

Also when are the British coming!?

Soldato
I was a bit dubious after a year or more away from the game. Loved it when I played it last but gaming mates of 20+ years want to play BF1 and PUBG. So tonight I thought I'd go back to SQUAD.

AWESOME!! Had read a bit around the toxicity some had experienced so was a bit aprehensive. After 4 hours (only stopped coz I saw the time, 2am) had 3 rounds of greatness. Those clouds and the way the sun dusk/dawn come through them - best I've seen. NVG clan were very friendly too.

I do have one Q though; I have a 4k screen and a 1080ti. All max except super sampling, blur, eye adaption, bloom, and lensflare - off. My GPU is at 50-60% usage and my i7 3770k @4.2Ghz is at 40%. But my GPU RAM is at near [email protected]. I'm getting decent frames which is 80fps outside and around 60fps indoors.

Is the GPU RAM bottle necking the GPU? I understand it's still in alpha, just wanted to understand what's going on or maybe I change a setting.

Great work though SQUAD guys - really is the best shooter out there. Great balance between shooter and a tactical game. The look of the game with the environmental effects/ambience with the low lighting (dusk/dawn) and the haze is certainly the best I've seen in a shooter, where you have to use the light direction to your advantage.

Really is some excellent work.

Soldato
What mics are people using nowadays? I got the new Speedlink clip on thing but it's either faulty or absolutely rubbish compared to the old version I've used.

Soldato
Think we played PR together before? I'm under the same name in Squad if you spot me, need all the help I can get right now to get the hang of the game :D

Soldato
I'm enjoying the game however do find it a bit hit and miss as to whether or not you get people actually playing as a team etc.

Any servers anyone can recommend? Or how does one go about joining a more serious clan? (not too serious!)

Soldato
OP
Whats happened to the bandage usage now? It takes about 4 or 5 bandages to heal where as it used to take only 1 or a couple
Bandaging yourself/others is a bit buggered at the minute sometimes, it still just takes one bandage.

Been a bit slow posting the updates as I'm on hols. Patch notes and Monthly Update:

squadlogo_white_hires.png

Release
Alpha 10.2

Hey Squaddies,
While work on Alpha 11 is progressing at full speed, we pulled over a few of the changes that should help improve the experience along the way.
Patch Notes
  • Changed the process of a kit becoming unavailable due to squad size falling below the player limit. Now your claim on the kit you had previously remains until you select a different one. Prevents other players from reserving kits by leaving and re-entering squads.
  • Fixed FOB respawn timer not increasing with enemies nearby.
  • Fixed player rotation getting permanently offset when standing on a vehicle that's rotating.
  • Fixed bad zeroing on M4 with red dot sight.
  • Fixed an exploit on logistics vehicles allowing the total load capacity to be exceeded.
  • Reduced stamina cost of jumping/climbing/vaulting.
  • Adjusted calculation for name tag fadeout to make it work better when aiming below the name tag.
  • Changed vehicle seat info text scale back to previous size.
  • Fixed main base repair stations not working on Sumari AASv1 and AASv2.
  • Revived a fix to the prone player capsule that got lost in merges.
  • Disabled replication of unequipped weapons.
  • Enabled Anim update rate optimizations on equipables.
  • Simplified bounds calculation on equipables.
  • Set Anim update rate optimizations to more aggressive values on the Soldiers.
A huge thank you to everyone that participated in the recent tests and offered up their feedback. Your dedication keeps us going!

middle_separator.png

Soldato
OP

Recap

March 2018
04-Apr-2018

Hey Squaddies,
Welcome to the March Recap! It's been a busy month at home and abroad as some of the developers attended GDC, and others welcomed the Air Assaultwinners to Vancouver! We're happy to report they kicked some mocap butt. The rest of you can kick back, enjoy some Squad, and enjoy the fruits of March.
A special shout out to the pros at Animatrik for hosting us at their top-notch motion capture facility. Our veterans have never felt sexier than when donning Mocap Formal.

middle_separator.png

AAS Ticket Bleed Tweaks
We're doing a number of different changes to AAS in order to promote a more varied style of play and to positively incentivize flag capture. These include dramatically reducing the ticket bleed on the middle flags, as well as increasing the ticket win/loss when an actual flag area is captured or lost. Neutral flag captures will now also include a ticket gain for your team. There will still continue to be a very heavy "mercy" ticket bleed on the end flags.
Our intention with these changes are to increase tactical variability and creating the dynamics for a more open-ended approach to strategy. The neutral flag ticket gain should still retain the incentive to capture middle flags quickly for your team, to deny the enemy team that initial ticket advantage.
These changes are in the testing phase and ticket values may fluctuate and are subject to feedback from community gameplay testing sessions.

middle_separator.png

Alpha 10.2 Bug Fixes
A number of key bugs have been identified and are addressed in the latest hotfix, including these 3 big ones:

• Spawn over-run mechanic for FOBs has not been working correctly since the v10 release. When enemy players get within close range to a FOB, the spawn times for that FOB should increase. This is based on the ratio of friendly to enemy players in the radius. We shall be monitoring these changes, expect more tweaks coming to this area, as the spawn massacres around compromised FOBs is not the intended gameplay outcome. We value your feedback here and welcome more discussion on the topic of FOB spawning.
  • Squad kit roles that were being force-switched has been corrected. When squad members left a squad, kit roles were being force switched if the squad dropped below the min players for that kit requirement. This has been modified so that it will only force switch a player upon respawn. A less pervasive method to protect against players exploiting kit requirements has been implemented.
  • An exploit that enabled players to load Logistics Trucks with additional supplies above the 2000 limit has been fixed.

middle_separator.png

Name Tag and Squad Leader 3D HUD UI Upgrades
We know name tags have been a hotly debated topic, especially when it comes to them showing up when you don't want them to (e.g, blocking your vision when there are many incapacitated players in the area, or when there are many players inside a vehicle, etc). We feel name tags are necessary for team/squad cohesion and situational awareness. Our goal is to make them as unobtrusive as possible while giving players the necessary fluid contextual situational awareness.
We have reduced the number of Name Tags shown on the 3D HUD. It will now display only one name tag at a time (the one you are directly looking at). We have also tightened up the viewing angle for the name tag to appear.
We understand that players have a large variety of different display setups and may want to customize the UI. We have added 2 new slider bars in the options, one to adjust the name tag opacity and one to adjust the name tag size. There is also an on/off toggle for 3D HUD name tags (Default is on), and an on/off toggle for 3D HUD kit role icons. (Default is off.)

The Squad Leader Icon on the 3D HUD has now been simplified. The SL icon is an important passive tool that allows for instinctive cohesion and spatial awareness of a squad, especially when it comes to newer players joining the squad. The SL Icon will now be displayed on the 3D HUD persistently, but it will fade when the SL is out of range.

middle_separator.png

Map Screen UI Upgrades
The Map screen will have a new feature: players inside a vehicle will have their name tags displayed when mousing over the vehicle. The nametags of all players inside the vehicle will be listed according to seat position, as well as the squad # and kit role of each player.

Names displayed are test machines for demonstration purposes.
Additionally, the Map screen will also have a new indicator for vehicles showing the squad number of the driver. The new indicator will be discreetly displayed next to the vehicles map icon. This enables Squad Leaders to better assess the battle situation on the map quickly and efficiently.

middle_separator.png

British Forces Update
The British have undergone more work and polish since we have shown them initially in January. They are from a gameplay point of view, almost ready, and will feature a unique array of small arms to make their infantry a considerable threat on the battlefield.

middle_separator.png

Improved Vehicle Damage Model

One massive upgrade we're doing to our vehicle damage model is the development of a localised damage system and the ability for us to model different armor thicknesses and angle of attacks in order to determine the effectiveness of projectiles against armor. Currently, all vehicles have a very simple health system that does not respect the location or angle of a hit, making anti-tank and vehicle play undesirably shallow.

One example is the Stryker, where with this new system its frontal armor is completely impenetrable by 14.5mm rounds whereas its side and rear armor are more vulnerable. Another important upgrade is to include the angle of the projectile to the armor when calculating the penetrating capability.

For example, hitting the armor on an angle means more material thickness the projectile must go through, which determines whether penetration is made or not.

We also plan to have the impact effects and audio reflect whether penetration has occurred and you are actually doing damage to an armored target.
This is the beginning of a deeper system that will be later expanded into damaging critical internal systems on vehicles, such as engines. In addition damage on separate components like tracks, wheels, and turrets.

middle_separator.png

BGM-71 TOW Guided Anti-Tank Missile Launcher

As part of upping our anti-tank defenses, we are introducing the addition of anti-tank guided missile systems for all conventional forces. Initially, we will be implementing the BGM-71 TOW missile launcher for all factions while the artwork for the 9M133 Kornet ATGM is still being done, but this should provide a very good analogue for the kind of anti-tank capability FOBs will be able to deploy going into the future.
The TOW missile is a wire-guided missile that follows the target commands via a very long wire attached to the launcher. The player can effectively steer the missile while in flight onto target, and it is extremely effective against stationary or slow-moving targets.

middle_separator.png

Weapon Emplacement Optics Upgrade
In an effort to improve the fire support capabilities of FOBs, optics have been added onto the emplaced Russian NSV, British & American M2 Brownings and both emplaced and mobile versions of the SPG9 Kopye. Both the M2 Browning and SPG9 have completely functional reticles that allow for precise shooting at range. The intention is to make these weapons even more of a threat and further allow a FOB to lock down an area.

middle_separator.png

Update: Kamdesh Highlands

We managed to pull our mappers out of the SDK for a few minutes to see what the latest updates are looking like on Kamdesh and they sure have done us proud.

We expect fighting from building to building to be fierce, much like the terrain surrounding the point. Squaddies should be ready to practice their bounding cover tactics if they expect to survive.

The road in is rarely the road out, but with armor thickness coming in the near future, you might survive a few seconds longer. Be on your guard for anti-tank support!

middle_separator.png

Update: Kohat Expansion

As you may know, we've been taking some time to go back and fix up some of the old favorites. This time around, we're looking at the Kohat Expansion, which is building on the fantastic work the environmental team has already laid down.

In addition to opening up the playable zones, a lot of surrounding dressing has been added to the map edges to make you really impart the sense of a large world around you. The beautiful lighting is sure to be used as an excuse for taking a few stray rounds from the enemy.

middle_separator.png

Stack-Up.org Air Assault
A while back, we had the opportunity to invite a few veterans from the community to join Stack-Up.org and the Squad team for a mocap session!
Our winners were in Vancouver, British Columbia over a recent weekend at Animatrik. We're just getting some of the pictures and video in, so stay tuned for a full-fledged article in the near future. In the meantime, a huge thanks to the winners AND Stack-Up for making a once-in-a-lifetime event possible. Bonus points for making sure it goes down in gaming history!

middle_separator.png

Stay sharp out there, Squaddies: April is upon us and has a reputation for being tricky!
We'll see you in the next recap and on the battlefield! Did you see something you want to talk about? Something you want to see next month? Sound off to your next favorite squad leader in the Squad Community Discord. Until next time, squaddies

Soldato
OP

Event
Air Assault Mocap Session
04-Apr-2018

Take a knee, Squaddies!
Back in January, we were lucky enough to partner with our friends at Stack-Up.orgfor our first Air Assault! The idea was simple: take a couple of lucky veterans from the Squad community and get them in the game. With the help of Animatrik, whom we've previously visited, we've done just that.

Getting all the best people into the same room pays off and we couldn't be happier with the results!

We were a bit overwhelmed by the response and it was tough to pick just two winners: Squad's community is filled with some of the toughest, most humble, good-natured military professionals we've had the pleasure of meeting.

William Bee from the USMCjumped at the chance to show us his moves. His favorite games, which include Arma 3, Battlefield 4, and Squad (of course) help him keep in touch with friends, relax a bit, and spend time with his son, who's also an avid gamer. You also might recognize him from some other publications. When he's not playing Squad, he likes to watch Karmakut and DevilDog Gamer get their streaming on.
Daniel (Harry) Holcroft, from the Australian Defence Force, has spent time deployed in Iraq, Timor Leste, and Afghanistan. These days, though, he prefers to spend a little more time playing Escape from Tarkov and Squad, with a solid background in Arma 3. If he's not gaming, you might catch him checking out streams from CowboyChuck, DeadlySlob, DesmoLocke, pcat101, or RussUK.
Both of these fine fellas have first-hand knowledge of the world Squad showcases and they really brought the sort of experience that makes the game live and breathe -- especially after putting the guys through the paces. If you'd like to know more about their background, be sure to check out this article on Stack-Up.org.

As you can see, we gathered a mix of animations while the guys were there. The pros really know how to move, both on the field and off. Check out this pristine tactical movement:

Now that we have all that awesome capture data, we can get it to the developers, animators, and artists for all the hard work that goes into making it game-ready. Look for updates in an upcoming Recap!

It was truly an honor to be part of the Air Assault. We cannot wait to work with Stack-Up.org again! A huge thank you to Animatrik, our veterans, and the Squad community for working so hard to support Squad.
If you'd like to get involved with Stack-up.org as an individual or a group, you can start here.
Offworld Out.

Back
Top Bottom