Squid Game

Soldato
Started this tonight and already upto episode 5. Episode 2 got rather annoying and dragged on more than necessary, but now the story is back on track its great, some really gripping stuff.

Permabanned
Totally loved this, unsure if I want them to do another season.

Other than the VIP episode, thought they were the weakest link, though only when they were onscreen.

Soldato
Really depressing story. It is definitely one of those that makes you think what really matters in life.

That is pretty much every Korean film from 1999-2008. Violent emotional, depressing, sad, bleak etc.. Even the comedies such as Sex is Zero is a little dark in part. Things like the end credits of Save the Green Planet, or ending of Failan are almost unwatchably depressing. Anyone that cries at The Notebook would likely have their heart stop if they were to watch The Classic.

Oh man I used to love Korean cinema.

Last edited:
Soldato
Entertaining couple of evenings :)

The VIPs were surprisingly weak characters. I can only assume cultural differences translated poorly there. Liked the boob headrest mind you...

Caporegime
Indeed. Its basically like every Korean film I've ever seen. Almost the same character tropes too.

Nothing wrong with it, good in fact, but i guess UK media don't get out much.

I was also expecting way more interesting games (though I did like the marbles and bridge ones), and having seen things like Battle Royale/Hunger Games/numerous anime, the concept wasn't really anything new.

Soldato
I don't mind admitting, I actually cried. The way the game ended for the last three couples was just beautifully done.

This is sort of where my love of the series comes from, on the surface, a basic battle royale type scenario for money playing kids games but it's got a lot of emotional weight behind it due to some great acting/writing.

Soldato
She was annoying, but you can relate. These are the dregs of society, you can see she is doing whatever it takes to survive.

It's interesting to see how each person is responding differently.

Soldato
This is sort of where my love of the series comes from, on the surface, a basic battle royale type scenario for money playing kids games but it's got a lot of emotional weight behind it due to some great acting/writing.
Definitely. I felt so sad for Ali as he was such a nice bloke, and then he gets conned out of his marbles by trusting his friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom