SSD -> External HDD -> NVMe (Cloning Windows 10)

Soldato
Hello,

With this 500GB NVMe Samsung Evo 970, I need to get Windows 10 onto it without having to reinstall everything.

Now I want to somehow move Windows/backup to an external HDD, then restore it onto the NVMe.

The reason doing it this roundabout way is I can't have two M2 slot drives in my PC.

I don't want to use the built in backup software because it want's to also back up my D drive which is huge, I only want the C drive backed up.

Any ideas cheers.

Soldato
OP
I've cloned the whole drive and all partirions to an external drive, then cloned it back onto the NVMe when I put it in, even though it looks identical, when I bootup, it just causes PC to boot again. Sake if I try boot from external HDD. Baffled

Soldato
If you use the Create Rescue Media option and then boot from it I believe that you'll have the option to perform a boot repair on the newly imaged drive.

Soldato
OP
Weirdly enough I booted into safe mode, then rebooted and it loaded nornally. Installed the NVMe driver from Samsung. Ran HDTune and was sticking at around 1650mbps Is that ok?

Also the drive I took out was scrwed in one end, and was laying on a cushion which I thought was fome, however it's very sticky and fragile almost like chewing gum, not sure if I should have used it with the higher temperatures of the NVMe?

Associate
I did this recently and used Macrium Reflect, as the others above me have mentioned.

I created rescue media first and on boot up redirected the PC to use the NVMe drive as the boot drive via the boot menu in the BIOS.

Useful link to creating rescue media with Macrium.

https://kb.macrium.com/knowledgebasearticle50210.aspx

I then used the fix boot problems part of Macrium to sort the initial reboot issue I had.

http://reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/rescue_cds/fix_boot_problems.htm

Hope this helps you or anyone searching for this issue online.

:)

Back
Top Bottom