SSD failure ?

Soldato
I bought a WD 250Gb SSD from OcUk in May 2017

I had three games on it and suddenly noticed the game icons on my desktop would not work with the message 'drive not found'
The drive no longer appears in the Bios so could it have failed already ?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your reply, I removed the main hard drive and connected this to the same pair of cables but still nothing appears in bios, the SSD also has windows on it as a reserve. Is it now looking more like a drive failure or is there something else I can try before I attempt to return it?

Soldato
OP
I ended up getting an RMA and the new one arrived today, I fitted it in along with new connectors and all was well. I decided to install two games on it and halfway through installing the second one it seemingly failed and it's no longer visible in bios so how unlikely is this?

Soldato
OP
Was the RMA drive brand new or refurbished? I've had refurbished a drive from WD that didn't work.

I'm not sure if it's new, it was posted from Poland. I removed my main drive & connected this but it won't even let me get into bios, something in the drive causes the PC not to run

Soldato
OP
I sent for a USB to SATA cable which arrived today, when connected it worked perfectly well, even the games ran really well. So I then removed my second HDD and connected the SSD and it appeared in bios & desktop. after 30 minutes it disappeared from the desktop again.
I tried to restart but the computer refused as before. Tried it on the other HDD cables and the same thing happened, drive appeared for 20 minutes and then went missing. I put it back via the USB and downloaded WD drive utilities but it would not recognise the drive even though it was showing on my desktop :confused: As an external drive it works perfectly so I might use it as that rather than go for another RMA. Still experimenting and in contact with WD who are actually very helpful

Associate
Check your motherboard and try on a different SATA port - some mobos have multiple SATA controllers driving different ports (check in the manual or share your mobo details) and its not unknown for controllers to be flakey.

Back
Top Bottom