SSD prices falling.

Permabanned
So it seems like something is happening rather quickly on the price front, in the last week ive seen some very low prices on ssd's.

Do you think this will be ongoing trend till the market levels out?

Could it be that a new generation of ssd's is soon to hit the shelves?

seeing 64gb m4's under 70 quid now so what do you think the basement prices will fall too if they continue this rate of price drop?.

Associate
Still rubbish prices though. Until they do TB ones for < £200 i'm not interested in a native SSD solution. Sticking to hybrids and caching until then.

Soldato
Still rubbish prices though. Until they do TB ones for < £200 i'm not interested in a native SSD solution. Sticking to hybrids and caching until then.

It's not the full experience tho.

And what on earth do you access so regularly that needs a 1TB SSD!?

:confused:

I have the lightroom library files and previews of my 100k photo library and that's only 100GB...

Associate
And what on earth do you access so regularly that needs a 1TB SSD!?

I was surprised how quickly a new PC fills. When I built my new work rig and put work tools (VS.NET, Oracle, SQL, Adobe Suites, graphics tools and other dev packages) plus a few games on it, it was soon at 300GB.

Same with my Macbook, its partitioned into 250GB Win, 250GB OSX and both of those are pretty much full with various toolsets and assorted crud.

This makes even a 256GB SSD useless for me as I dont want to have to mess around keeping the OS on a small drive with most of the stuff I use daily on a standard HDD and life is too short to spend any time working out where to put a new app.

In this case hybrid or caching suits me better, obviously i'd much rather be running native SSD but the 512 and TB drives are ridiculous prices, 300% more than a hybrid drive for only a small % performance difference. So for me its a no brainer until the prices become realistic.

Soldato
This makes even a 256GB SSD useless for me as I dont want to have to mess around keeping the OS on a small drive with most of the stuff I use daily on a standard HDD and life is too short to spend any time working out where to put a new app.

This too annoys the crap out of me. If I had a bigger bugdet I would slap two of the new intel 480gbs in raid and that would be plenty of storage for me.

Storage drives irritate me. I had to format and reinstall recently because I was installing my jdk and netbeans for uni to my storage drive, thinking I was being clever. Then WHAM. None of it works. Can't uninstall either because they can't be found. My module specific software installed fine when I pointed it to the jdk, but it wrote it's own files to the damn SSD anyway. DAMMIT RAGE.

Now I just install everything to the ssd and be done with it..

Stupid small ssds >:[ y u no bigger?!

Back
Top Bottom