SSD Prices - Not looking great

Caporegime
Yeah, NVME drives power off on the default settings, I have a couple with super low power on even though they're pretty old.

The old way of checking was to google the firmware version, since everything else can be faked and this exposed the controller that was actually used on the drive, but I don't know if that is still considered reliable.
The serials also all show as valid on Western Digital's warranty checked and show limited warranty till Dec 2028 (so I guess they were manufactured in Dec 2023). I dunno if that could be faked.

I'm 99% gonna buy them now anyway :D. I don't need the high performance these drives offer anyway, but I agree it's unlikely I will find a better price this year!

rp2000

Soldato
Yeah, there's quite a few that only have 2.5 now :o Not a big fan really, since it is nice to at least have the option of carrying over an old drive, though I suppose there are USB caddys for most things.

You did well to get 6!
Somewhat surprised me, altho it shouldn't have really due to online reviews etc, just how big the Meshify 2 XL case is, Clue being in the name. But much of that space, is just vacant as at one time there would have been a whole stack of drive bays fitted there. A Meshify 2 would have been fine.
I didn't think of 6 being exceptional, nor really needed in my case. It is something that I'm now understanding that there seems to be a reduction in those noted SATA ports and a move to NVME, not as much need for me to have such a large case.
Interesting how certain technology arrives and then gradually gets replaced...

Last edited:
Soldato
Somewhat surprised me, altho it shouldn't have really due to online reviews etc, just how big the Meshify 2 XL case is, Clue being in the name. But much of that space, is just vacant as at one time there would have been a whole stack of drive bays fitted there. A Meshify 2 would have been fine.
I didn't think of 6 being exceptional, nor really needed in my case. It is something that I'm now understanding that there seems to be a reduction in those noted SATA ports and a move to NVME, not as much need for me to have such a large case.
Interesting how certain technology arrives and then gradually gets replaced...

I'm a bit suprised high end cases having gotten a LOT more compact. Shoehorn the cooling in and really tune airflow over it. If there's nothing but a decent bit of air moving over a component and only... I dunno, 4CM of ducting until it's out of the case, that's gotta be awesome cooling, right? Like really focused flow stuff, enough case to hide noise a little.

Now... cases for WATER cooling too, sure those could still be bigger but considering most are still (at least) mid-tower sized... I think there's a niche being missed.

Soldato
I had my eye on a Samsung QVO 8TB sata3 2.5" for ages, literally over a year it was this price from a known legit competitor, for £338, now it's between £500-570 anywhere you look... WTF!

Yup its insane, i bought 2 x SAMSUNG 860 QVO 2TB drives for my network early last year for cheap, this year right now they're well over £100 used depending on where you look.

Associate
Sign of the times, we had warning about the increase just didn’t think it would be this much of an increase. Time to search the used market more.
Weren't they all actually selling at a loss though when the prices were down at 1tb drive for £35? Think I read that somewhere... not sure how much of a loss of course.

Soldato
Hopefully if prices increase significantly people dont carry on buying them as they will never go down again,Look at the GPU market atm its a joke still price to performance.

Soldato
For me, I'll just be ditching larger games to NAS when not playing. It had become too easy to just leave games installed permanently, and add another drive.
Was thinking of buying another 2tb NVME soon, but compared to what I paid last year it's just not happening.

Soldato
Sign of the times, we had warning about the increase just didn’t think it would be this much of an increase. Time to search the used market more.

Indeed, at least we had those warning for some time about expecting price increases. Thankfully I bought the SSD's and NVME's I expected to need when they seemed to bottom out recently.
Not sure what the current pricing could now mean, in terms of that being stabilised somewhat to be considered normalised by manufacturers etc.....

Man of Honour
Just checked my SSDs and the 2TB 990 Pro has gone up over £80, the 8TB Sabrent is now £200 more expensive than when I got it :eek:

Strangely the SATA 8TB Samsung is still £463 as it was months ago, I got it at launch for £640~ so am bummed I could have waited several months lol and saved a bit.

Won't be needing more storage for anything for a long time so all good.

Associate
Increased demand and reduced supply of chips.

There was over supply of drives following covid causing prices to drop heavily as a lot of drives were previously backed up with the supply chain problems with lockdown.

Prices are now rising due to supply chains being normalised but chip manufacturers are increasing prices to cover the shortfalls during covid. Also increased business demand for drives due to new AI applications. Plus new PS5's coming out in Sept.

Funnily enough I was looking at my PC parts shopping list this morning - Had my eye on a 4tb MSI Spatium 461 last December. I noted the price at £169, but looked today and they are £395

Soldato
Increased demand and reduced supply of chips.

There was over supply of drives following covid causing prices to drop heavily as a lot of drives were previously backed up with the supply chain problems with lockdown.

Prices are now rising due to supply chains being normalised but chip manufacturers are increasing prices to cover the shortfalls during covid. Also increased business demand for drives due to new AI applications. Plus new PS5's coming out in Sept.

Funnily enough I was looking at my PC parts shopping list this morning - Had my eye on a 4tb MSI Spatium 461 last December. I noted the price at £169, but looked today and they are £395

Shocking :cry:, if you're in the market for a new drive right now you really need to bend over.

Back
Top Bottom