1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSD Spare Blocks

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Zbornak, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Zbornak

Wise Guy

My SSD program is telling me I have an issue with "Spare Blocks" and recommends I get a new drive. I've Googled it but nowhere is telling succinctly what exactly is wrong. It's also not entirely convincing that the only SDD health app which is telling me something is wrong is a manufacturer's one. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. demonix

Wise Guy

All it's stating is that it doesn't have any blocks spare (probably to replace failed blocks), but considering the reading above it shows a value of 1.94% it means the health of the SSD is at about 98% which should be fine and that software is jumping the gun regarding replacing the drive (although try a manual TRIM on the drive as it might improve things).

3. lude1962

Wise Guy

just checked mine media wearout is 3.9%
    spare blocks remaining 100%
    total gb write 5817

what is you gb write value?

4. Zbornak

Wise Guy

Just tried a manual TRIM and it's stayed the same. I know very little of drive things so I've put 2 images up. Is that what you're looking for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. darael

Mobster

6. lude1962

Wise Guy

SMART data is smart data all programs should report the same values, gb write and read are total nonsense, back up your data/take an image. Looks like your drive has 3 yr warranty, get onto retailler or sandisk to replace if still in warranty

7. Plenty O'Toole

Mobster

SanDisks own software telling you the drive health is poor is enough to return it :)

8. Zbornak

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

The drive is out of warranty by about 10 months. I sure it's just a coincidence that SanDisk are telling me to buy a new one.

9. c1tro

Gangster

Too many writes so you are left without any spare blocks. What OS were you using it with?

10. darael

Mobster

The OP has filled the drive about 45 times (11580 / 256GB) - I thought the memory for even low end SSD memory was good for about 10,000 write cycles? 2,500TB should be closer to the point of failure.