ssd time

Soldato
after multiple restarts today, and the 10minute background lag, i am now decreeing it is time for me to actually get an ssd

thing is, my steam library is topping 312gb and will only be getting bigger, so i have a quandry:

get a 250gb this month, and just deal with having to shift games to and from the ssd as and when i play them often

get a 500gb this month and not eat

get a 500gb in a couple of months time

i'm currently not sure between options 1 and 3, 2 is possible but i like food...

any thoughts? i'm looking specifically at the samsung 840 range as they seem to offer the best £-gb ratio with decent speeds [indeed why are they seemingly the same capacity, same speed for different prices within the range?]

Soldato
OP
What is your budget?

A well known website retailer, with the name of the worlds 2nd largest river, has the 250gb EVO for the cheapest in the UK!!

well the £115 250gb ocuk are charging is reasonable, i'd be able to get up to £220 for the 500gb if i wait till next month. thing is not sure if 500gb would be overkill given most of my steam library goes unplayed. thing is i'm not all that up on the process of having 2 game libraries for steam on seperate hard drives.

seagate 600 480gb?

ive got one. Cheap, and im not benching the nuts and looking for top speeds, it works as an ssd and is faster than my mech hdd.

can't say i have the greatest faith in seagate given the general feeling towards them on the internets. i do have brand confidence in samsung though

Soldato
OP
i say that is what i'm looking for, heard of crucial in terms of ssd's, they any good? specs sure look it, 40gb write and it'll be os/games only so i guess i'll see longer than obsoletion time from it.

only other question then, is it as simple as get this, plug in, install windows as normal?

Soldato
Yep they are one of the best manufacturers of SSD's along side Samsung. The drive looks to be nice and fast and will do everything you need it to.

Yep you just need to plug it in and Windows will treat it the exact same as a HDD. Just install windows and you are away, just make sure you set your BIOS to AHCI mode and unplug all other drives before installing Windows on the SSD.

Soldato
OP
sweet, sounds just the ticket.

i'll likely be wiping my current main drive to get rid of windows, can just re-download from steam got fast enough internet for that and anything else i have on disk anyhow.

Soldato
Yeah they have only recently been announced.

It is great to see SSDs coming down in price I would like to get to a point where we no longer need HDDs and can have everything on SSD.

I have 1.4TB of Steam games and I would love to have them all installed on an SSD but I need 2-4TB drives to be introduced at a reasonable price.

Soldato
I have my Steam library stored as backups on a hard drive and just install them to the SSD when I want to play them - my 180GB Intel has so far been more than big enough for my OS, progs and a few games at a time (including Skyrim with a 35GB Data folder)

Associate
I have a 120GB Samsung one that I was advised to buy to ensure the system runs tickly and efficiently but I'd not heard about using it for steam. But evidently a lot of people find that useful for the same reason.
The number of games that I actually play are quite few, so like yourself I would only install what I needed to.
Looks like it is the best option...

Soldato
I have two active Steam libraries, the one on the SSD (Steam Turbo) and the ordinary one on a hard drive, which is where games get installed initially before I archive them. I then uninstall and reinstall on the SSD when the game will benefit from the extra speed while older games that don't need too much disk access can run fine from the slower hard drive. Putting Skyrim on the SSD made a huge difference, mostly because of the massive Data folder, I rarely suffered any pauses through many play throughs.

Associate
That sounds like my best bet then. i had it on my 360 and the loading screens/times were painful! sometimes it would be around half a minute, so anything quicker is a bonus, but i may as well make the best of the situation while i have the ability to do so.

Soldato
OP
I have two active Steam libraries, the one on the SSD (Steam Turbo) and the ordinary one on a hard drive, which is where games get installed initially before I archive them. I then uninstall and reinstall on the SSD when the game will benefit from the extra speed while older games that don't need too much disk access can run fine from the slower hard drive. Putting Skyrim on the SSD made a huge difference, mostly because of the massive Data folder, I rarely suffered any pauses through many play throughs.

this pretty much sums up exactly why i want an ssd, tbh considering games and windows are the only programs i'd get the benefit from why not stick steam on there. hence my wish for a 512gb one

Back
Top Bottom