SSD upgrade project: NVMe under Win7 or rather dual-boot Win7/10 ?

Associate
After about 5 years its time to upgrade my SSD.
I currently run a 500Gb SATA SSD under Win7x64 plus 2x 1TB HDD's in RAID1

I am using an ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer Motherboard and have upgraded the BIOS to version 2203 after receiving advice from ASUS Tech support that BIOS version 2103 introduced NVMe recognition.

I would like to upgrade my OS drive to something like the 970 EVO Polaris 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive, but with the least possible complications, as although tech savvy I'm by far not a computer genius. I use my computer mainly for gaming, not for intense graphics or multitasking.

I have been told that Win7 does not recognise NvMe, however there seem to be fixes/updates to this available from Microsoft, installation seems somewhat complicated though. My system was ready built by Overclockers, hence I have for OS installation only the OEM package for Win7. I'm also not the greatest fan of Win10 and have therefore not upgraded my OS from Win7 to Win10 whilst the free upgrade was available.

I'm considering two routes:
a) installing the NVMe upgrades/fixes for Win7 and thereafter trying to install the new 1TB NVMe, and make my NVMe the new OS system boot. (this looks complicated and I wonder if at all possible due to OEM Win7 disc only? Any advice from someone who has done this before hugely appreciated)

b) biting the bullet and buying Win10 and installing the NVMe as new OS Harddrive. (would this make my system dual bootable, i.e into Win7 from my current 500GB SSD and into Win10 from the NVMe?)

I would be grateful for advice.
-Would I lose any of the advantages of the NVMe (i.e. write/read speed) if I was to try and install it under Win7 with hotfixes?
-Can an upgrade to Win10 on my NVMe whilst leaving Win7 on my SATA SSD play any havoc with the whole system?
-Which alternatives a) or b) would you recommend?
-After all, for a gaming computer, is upgrade to NVMe going to make a significant difference, or would a 1TB SATA SSD suffice?

Many Thanks

Back
Top Bottom