1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSD Wear leveling count?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by DampDog, Sep 5, 2018.

  1. DampDog

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Oct 19, 2010

    Posts: 1,939

    Location: North Staffs

    Just a quick question. I have a Samsung 840 series. I estimate I've had installed for about 4 years. Never had even the slightest issue with it, however I ran 'Samsung Magician' last evening and noticed that the wear leveling count was 90. I thought that the wear leveling figure was a guide as to how much life there still is in the drive. If that is the case, would "90" indicate it's 90% worn? Or the other way round and only 10% worn. Total writes = 13TB

    I'd rather replace before it fails rather than pick up the pieces following a failure.

    Cheers
     
  2. Vince

    Soldato

    Joined: Oct 30, 2003

    Posts: 6,260

    Location: Essex

    download ssd life... it will tell you :) My thinking is it's 10% worn.
     
  3. DampDog

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Oct 19, 2010

    Posts: 1,939

    Location: North Staffs

    Thanks for the pointer. According to that "Drive health is Excellent" with "Estimated life-span, 8 years, 5 months" So still tons of life in as yet. Cheers:)
     
  4. DarkBahamut

    Gangster

    Joined: Mar 24, 2011

    Posts: 455

    On Samsung drives the "Wear levelling count" raw data is actually reporting the average program/erase cycles of the NAND.

    If it's an 840 non pro then it will be rated to about 1000 cycles, so roughly 9% worn. It's a lot left in it yet :)
     
  5. DampDog

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Oct 19, 2010

    Posts: 1,939

    Location: North Staffs

    Cheers. Either way looks like drive still looks good for some time yet..:)