1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSD Wear leveling count?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by DampDog, Sep 5, 2018.

1. DampDog

Wise Guy

Just a quick question. I have a Samsung 840 series. I estimate I've had installed for about 4 years. Never had even the slightest issue with it, however I ran 'Samsung Magician' last evening and noticed that the wear leveling count was 90. I thought that the wear leveling figure was a guide as to how much life there still is in the drive. If that is the case, would "90" indicate it's 90% worn? Or the other way round and only 10% worn. Total writes = 13TB

I'd rather replace before it fails rather than pick up the pieces following a failure.

Cheers

2. Vince

Soldato

download ssd life... it will tell you :) My thinking is it's 10% worn.

3. DampDog

Wise Guy

Thanks for the pointer. According to that "Drive health is Excellent" with "Estimated life-span, 8 years, 5 months" So still tons of life in as yet. Cheers:)

4. DarkBahamut

Gangster

On Samsung drives the "Wear levelling count" raw data is actually reporting the average program/erase cycles of the NAND.

If it's an 840 non pro then it will be rated to about 1000 cycles, so roughly 9% worn. It's a lot left in it yet :)

5. DampDog

Wise Guy

Cheers. Either way looks like drive still looks good for some time yet..:)