sshd or normal hd for games

Associate
hi i was just wondering if its worth getting a sshd over a normal hd for gaming,i do have two ssd's for my os and main games but since the steam sale popped its ugly head up i got a fair few titles,so i am in need of more storage,and was wondering is it worth getting a sshd over a hd for my steam library

Man of Honour
From my experience - your mileage might vary - the laptop in my sig comes out the box with an 8GB SSD cache that boosts the main mechanical HDD as a hybrid setup - game load times were on average about 30% faster using the SSD caching (a small number of games saw a bigger boost, some less of no boost) over just working as a plain mechanical HDD but it does take a little time for the caching to pickup on the usage pattern so you don't see that on first run. Running the same game off an SSD however was seeing as much as 3x faster load times over just a plain mechanical HDD.

I think a Seagate rep posted some inhouse benchmarks they'd done of game load times using a SSHD on these forums somewhere.

Soldato
In my ROG lappy, have an SSHD for games, Seagate Firecuda 2TB as it came with a bog standard 1TB WD Blue and was a tad slow to what I'm used to.

You won't notice a huge speed difference straight away as apparently it has to learn. It is quite nippy now for the games I play.

Back
Top Bottom