1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek: Discovery

Discussion in 'US TV shows discussion.' started by Edward78, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

IMHO S2 was really quite good.

2. james.miller

Capodecina

Sounds suspect to say the least, Kurtzman is the executive producer for Star Trek Picard as well.

3. Freddie1980

Soldato

Apparently the feedback on the Picard show has been poor as well but I'm not sure as that would mean they have gone announcement to first pilot in about 2 months. Is that length of time reasonable?

4. james.miller

Capodecina

Picard started shooting on the 22nd of April so 7 weeks ish from beginning to shoot to having the first episode screen tested? It does sound fishy IMO

:edit: First block of episodes according to that nerdrotic vid ...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. JRS

Capodecina

Yeah. Think the wish is father of the thought for Nerdrotic here.

6. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Awesome S2!!!!

The opening episode was fantastic - had my heart in my mouth when they were trying to save Pike!

Bad:

Too many revolving camera shots - annoying.
    Too much Silly Tilly - annoying.
    Pike was excellent, but underused - always bowing to Burnhams direction.
    Waaaay too much emotional speeches - 3 or 4 times over the space of almost 20mins of speeches about a character dying, then 'reasons' they are not dying. I love a good rousing/emotional speech ala Doctor Who! but i found myself on my phone when they started again.
    Sarus sister - goes from peaceful priest to fighter pilot - especially having never used such technology and started blasting away.

Good:

Spock was excellent and shaving the beard and donning the uniform was a nice closing shot - also loved the bridge and Spocks Microscope thingmaybob
    No 1 - nom nom nom
    Good villain
    Not sure how they could have got around no mention of Spock sister and the Discovery, so treason and threat of others finding the sphere data was semi plausible.
    Melissa George and 'those' opening titles - brought a huge smile.

Really enjoyed S2, looking forward to S3 and also Short Trek has a new episode coming out soon.

7. SPG

Soldato

Quite enjoyable show upto s01e10 now, how all the timelines get crossed over in the Star Trek universe doesn't really bother me tbh, I treat each one as their own little bubble. TNG was a little different as they crossed over with DS9 and the boringly dull voyager at times.

8. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

Just caught up on season 2.
    Wow what a cluster ****!

Good things : Spock, Pike and Philippa.

Bad things : literally everything else. I am sick of seeing Michael's constipated face when things go wrong.

9. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  10. MissChief

Capodecina

They seem to cut the good things and keep the bad. Lorca S1 was good, Pike S2 was great too. I'll watch but ain't holding my breath.

11. TonTom

Hitman

Just catching up on Season 2. It’s trash bearing Pike who was great though as someone mentioned underused and the scene stealer Michelle Yeoh how was brilliant throughout once again.

This may as well be called Star Trek Burnham.

12. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

Finally got netflix again (free trial) I'm rushing through season 1 again, watched about 5 or 6 in 2 days

13. JRS

Capodecina

Jesus. Watching season 1 again is a fate worse than a fate worse than death...

14. TonTom

Hitman

Wait till he hits season 2

15. OspreyO

Mobster

I liked some of it. But a lot of it is very heavy handed.

16. JRS

Capodecina

Bits of which almost worked. I'll put "An Obol For Charon" up as one of the best Trek stories ever, and with minor tweaks it could have been one of the best episodes of Trek ever. None of season 1 got close to that.

17. TonTom

Hitman

Not for me.

18. JRS

Capodecina

I dunno man. I found a lot about that episode to like. It started out feeling like TNG's "Disaster", which is no bad thing. And then went off in a whole different and very Trek direction - weird space thing rocks up, disables the ship, but it's actually intelligent and trying to pass along knowledge. The translator going offline and knackering the crew up provided some absolute gold for those of us who appreciate TOS - all those fancy touchpanels on the bridge suddenly useless because they're in the wrong display language, not something that would happen on the bridge of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 no bloody A, B, C or D* with her big push buttons and sliders and toggle switches :p

The scenes down in Super Duper Secret Spore Drive™ engineering were written with the deft and subtle touch of a multi-car crash on the M6. SMG's acting went right to the Bad Place™ where she loses what little ability she started out with. And the scene between Saru and Bonehead where he says how he thinks of her as a sister was crap as well. If they'd lost the Tilly-Stamets-Reno stuff in engineering (which if it needed to be told should have been placed in a different, worse episode) and the plotline about Saru's 'illness' (ditto) and concentrated on the sphere mystery then it would have been genuinely good.

19. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

im upto Ep.8 again

spoiler :

Last jump for stamens, but did the Captain put 133 jumps in? which of course almost killed him

20. JRS

Capodecina

Honestly @ShiWarrior, I wouldn't try to make much sense of it. The writers clearly never did, so why should the audience?