Star Trek Online

Caporegime
C
I'm sure with all the talented game designers in the world theres a way it could be done if they would just be willing to think outside the MMO box.

No, there would be no way to do it without making an incredibly crap game. Almost every game that tries to do too much just for the sake of it, has failed utterly miserably.

Multiple people in one big ship would create havoc, and be rather pointless. How many people are going to stay in engineering throughout their life in a MMO, seeing four walls and changing energy levels, seriously think about it. 9/10 things needing doing on a ship would be boring, dull, stupid and no one in their right mind would do them.

The idea would mean only the guild leader would ever get to fly or shoot, everyone else would sit around doing nothing, it would never in a million years work. Theres simply not enough to actually be done. YOu can't run a raid in Lotro without the healer, but the healer would actually be doing something in every fight, even if its attacking small guys, or healing everyone in a big fight. In an MMO where you're traveling around you're proposing one guy sit in engineering for a few hours while other people do things.

Would you also require a backup crew to keep the ship in orbit or from being taken over while you're on an away mission? How far does realism go before it becomes pathetically boring.

The game WOULD have fallen flat on its face days after launch if only 3 people in every 1000 players could actually "do" anything, while the rest sit at stations waiting for someone to tell them to transfer some power from shields to engines every half hour.

Personally haven't seen much on it, but something between Eve in space and a wow/lotro land based setup could be very cool. IE combat and kit to wear on land fighting people, story based quests mostly though. THen in space, mining, fighting, pirating, huge fleet battles or small skirmishes to control space.

Man of Honour
I dont need to seriously think about it. I also do not adhere to the belief that there is no way to do it.

I am pretty sure that talented designers could see ways of doing it that we ordinary folk on here cannot even begin to fathom. Not unless someone on here is an experienced game designer that I dont know about. Lets not all kid ourselves into thinking that we know all the possibilities of game design, because we dont. If we did , we wouldnt be sitting on this forum day after day.

Something is only "impossible" until its made possible and something cannot be made possible until people at least try.

Associate
This game will be huge no matter what the game is like it might die a year after but being the only Star Trek mmo means a lot of Fanboy's of the show will get the game just for kick's :) I just like spacebattles my self I hope they look cool

Man of Honour
Would be funny if the GMs were Q and if you misbehave on the game they turn up and click their fingers and send your ship into a space punishment zone that you cant leave for 48 hours :)

Man of Honour
OP
Well those that got a life time sub for Champions online will be the first to know.

But fingers crossed I get in.

Will let you all know ;). 6 monthers have access also.

I was slightly more excited about the first developers version but i'm sure this will do just fine :)

Agreed, but Cryptic seem to be doing a solid job with this one. I really really hope the game is good. Reminds me a lot of the first Starfleet Command.

Back
Top Bottom