Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Are people complaining about feminism with justification or just moaning that there are several females , despite many of them being correct to Pikes Enterprise from TOS?

We-e-e-ell...

There's a line from Pike in "The Cage" where he remarks to Number One how he can't get used to having a woman on the bridge (Yeoman Colt), before verbally backspacing about how Number One is 'different' ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Are people complaining about feminism with justification or just moaning that there are several females , despite many of them being correct to Pikes Enterprise from TOS?
I have no problem with the females personally. I do with weak casting for certain roles though (male or female).

Maybe they will grow on us, but I won't hold my breath though.

Soldato
Re-watched it again last night - not something i have ever done with Picard or Disco!

Really enjoyed this first episode, also warmed a little more to Drummer-lite/Alara. Still not a fan of the actress playing Uhura and definitely not a fan of Ortegas. It looks like Ortegas is sitting in the No1 chair - so hopefully she will be moved with Romijn rejoins the Enterprise.

Looking at images of TOS with Pike - it doesn't look like the main Bridge crew was this female heavy?

Looking forward to the next episode.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Still can't help thinking that they should have brought back the other characters from "The Cage" (José Tyler, Phil Boyce, J.M Colt...) rather than write new ones and/or import others from TOS.

Reading the synopsis of Episode Two - "Children of the Comet":

While on a survey mission, the USS Enterprise discovers a comet is going to strike an inhabited planet. They try to re-route the comet, only to find that an ancient alien relic buried on the comet's icy surface is somehow stopping them. As the away team try to unlock the relic's secrets, Pike and Number One deal with a group of zealots who want to prevent the USS Enterprise from interfering.

Tell me that doesn't sound like the hybrid of a TOS & TNG episode ;) No bad thing IMO, if this was STD then the comet would be a universe-breaking anomaly that took 12 episodes to resolve and the stakes would be MCU-level :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Tell me that doesn't sound like the hybrid of a TOS & TNG episode ;) No bad thing IMO, if this was STD then the comet would be a universe-breaking anomaly that took 12 episodes to resolve and the stakes would be MCU-level :rolleyes:
But not before someone in the crew of STD has an emotional breakdown and bursts into tears

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Episode 2.

The Good

Anson Mount's Pike. That little pause he gives when he's asking Uhura where she sees herself in ten years. Pitch perfect. Rebecca Romijn is good as Number One as well, though the character sure is nothing like the one in "The Cage".
Anyone else get HR Giger vibes from the outside of the alien structure on the comet?
Ethan Peck's Spock a vast improvement on his STD characterisation. Which I realise doesn't say much, but I take these things where I find them.
A story resolution that was certainly very Trekian. Praise be to $DEITY, whether it's God, Allah or The Great Bird of the Galaxy.

The Bad

Why are we doing recaps still? I thought this was supposed to be episodic rather than serialised? And even leaving that aside it's still dumb.
The crew having a firm grasp of the Idiot Ball™, missing the huge ship arriving right in front of them until it was firing. Was no-one watching the short range sensors?!
Henry Alonso Myers and Sarah Tarkoff, the episode's credited writers, are clearly comfortable with ripping off lines practically wholesale from other works. See the 'no fate but what you make' conversation between Number One and Pike at the end that could have come straight out of the Terminator franchise.

The Kurtzman

Uhura is a mixed bag. It's like the showrunners wanted the Uhura character, but the Kurtzman Trek Write-O-Matic 4000™ got crossed up somewhere in the character generator and hit something closer to 'black Tilly' in the kerfuffle. And they - of course - took the opportunity to shoehorn in a Tragic Backstory because [reasons].
La'an Noonien Singh :rolleyes: still feeling like a refugee of the first two seasons of STD in all the worst ways.
Transporter chief Kyle. Now, there was a transporter chief called Kyle in TOS (he also appears in Wrath of Khan). Played by Englishman John Winston, he had blonde hair and blue eyes. This one here is dark haired and played by the Canadian-born André Dae Kim who has South Korean ancestry. Obviously there is a chance that these two characters are entirely different people who just happen to have the same name and job, and this isn't just another bit of Kurtzman throwing character and visual continuity out of the window...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Man this is glorious in 4K HDR on an OLED screen, highly recommend that for the viewing experience :cool:

The audio cinematics are superb too.

Yep, it sure is purty. Right up until the Discoprise ends up prominently on-screen, and it all goes right to hell...

Montgomery Scott said:
N. C. C. One. Seven. Oh. One. No bloody A, B, C or D.

IRXthz9.jpg

Caporegime
Thought this episode was pretty meh tbh... the one with the stupid haircut annoys me to look at wokecut2000

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I preferred Close Encounters of the Third Kind. They did it better.

This makes no sense. It's about a magic comet which has seer abilities and will know the future. More very poor story telling.

Not Spock, is not Spock, laughing? WTF?

You must be new to Trek! Are you forgetting the crazy "lifeforms" that Shatner and even Picard's away teams encountered back in the days?!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I preferred Close Encounters of the Third Kind. They did it better.

This makes no sense. It's about a magic comet which has seer abilities and will know the future. More very poor story telling.

TBF, I don't think the comet was the sentient bit. It was the structure using the comet to womble through space that had some intelligence. Knowing the future...eh. It knew physics, it knew what needed to happen to shift course and tried to get the message out. Luckily, the Enterprise crew got there without all the information being handed to them.

Also, wouldn't exactly be the first intelligence in this franchise to show precognitive abilities if it genuinely could see the future :cool:

Not Spock, is not Spock, laughing? WTF?

In fairness, this is the same Spock who:

Grinned at the 'singing' flowers in "The Cage"
Exclaimed 'JIM!' with huge happiness in "Amok Time" when he realised that Kirk was alive
Laughed and cavorted with the girl of the week in "This Side Of Paradise", later on was angered by Kirk into a fistfight to snap him out of the alien spore control
In "TMP" - chuckled in the sickbay scene at his own foolishness to deny the emotions that he had, and also wept in a later scene on the bridge for V'ger
Got angry enough to swear at a Klingon in "TFF"
Got even more angry in "TUC" and slapped a phaser out of Valeris' hand

And if I spend enough time thinking about it I can probably come up with more.

You must be new to Trek! Are you forgetting the crazy "lifeforms" that Shatner and even Picard's away teams encountered back in the days?!
I have wiped anything beyond the first series of TOS from my memory. It was mostly pretty bad TBH. I have not watched it since the mid to late 70s, so a very long time ago lol. I generally preferred Space 1999. I agree, Troy having the ability to sense emotions was ridiculous and put me off TNG for the first few years, well that and the first few episodes. I didn't start watching it again until Series three and only watched all of series 1 and 2 until the early 90s. You can write off a load of 1 and 2 but three is where to started to really be outstanding.

Man of Honour
Have to say though, those manoeuvres watching the ship smoothly move about really conveys its mass and looks so cool as it does it. reminds me of BSG where Galactica is being piloted around evasively.

Back
Top Bottom