Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic

Associate
Honestly I thought this day would never come, I'm more than excited and it'll definitely be a day one purchase for me. This was the first RPG I ever played and I was just sucked into the story!

Soldato
I wonder what they will do with the swoop bike races in the original, did anyone actually enjoy them? Thank god for that mod which made every course into a dead straight line, no way would I have bothered with them after that first planet without that.

Soldato
? The swoop races were all in straight lines. Tbh yea i didnt like em too much either but i did like the sense of achievement from getting first place after a few runs of each.

Soldato
Maybe the mod just removed all the speed reducing obstacles then, anyway without the mod the subgame as it was exceeded my personal "worth it" to "sense of achievement" ratio by some considerable margin :)

Soldato
I got a nice surprise when this popped up, I'd heard rumours but didn't think much of it. But it has got me thinking about what it would be like, and I have some concerns.

It needs more than simple modernising, as a nextgen title it needs completely re-doing sympathetically around the original plot and characters. Like from the ground up, everything needs re-doing. Even writing needs expanding because taking what was in the original 1:1 and dumping it into a super realistic game doesn't work. It needs to be bespoke tailored to the new pacing and game design and, well, just made better in many cases (like sidequests, character loyalty system etc.)

The worry is the developer Aspyr. As far as I know they've never actually made a game of their own, instead they've only ever ported games across platforms. It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I really wish they held off announcing the remake until they had something to show because it sounds like it's still really early in development.

But you never know, they could knock it out of the park. I really hope they do because Kotor was an incredible experience back in the day.

Soldato
https://www.starwars.com/news/knights-of-the-old-republic-remake

Talks a bit of meh at the start but about half way down they talk about whos involved like some original kotor devs some bioware devs some devs from dragonage etc.

“Remaking a beloved game like KOTOR is a big task, and it requires a talented team that understands the original game at a deep level, as well as how to approach rebuilding that content,” says Treadwell. “We’ve assembled a prolific group of some of gaming’s top RPG developers, including those with direct experience working on Star Wars games and video game remakes. Many of us previously worked at BioWare, with credits going back to the original KOTOR. To further bolster that, we’ve added some amazing developers from games like Demon’s Souls Remake and Ghost of Tsushima. And our narrative team is fantastic, with years of storytelling experience across Star Wars games and comics. We also have Jason Minor and Brad Prince on the team, whose experience with the world, characters, and creatures of this universe is invaluable. And I’m excited to partner once again with Matt Berner, our lead gameplay designer. We worked together on Dragon Age: Inquisition, and we immediately fell back into our old rhythm.”

For Kellogg and Treadwell, access to those who worked on the original KOTOR is particularly important. “We can say, ‘What were you trying to do and why did you do it this way? Let’s make sure that we have the same goals in mind as we re-approach it this time,’” says Kellogg. “We’re just going to be able to do more things with asset variety and fidelity and storytelling that just weren’t possible then, but are still going to meet the same goals.”

Soldato
Will try to remain optimistic about this, but after reading about the character and calibre of one of the writers they've chosen to give this too, it will be seriously cautious optimism.

Man of Honour
Will try to remain optimistic about this, but after reading about the character and calibre of one of the writers they've chosen to give this too, it will be seriously cautious optimism.

Indeed. This will never live up to the hype. Just make a sequel already. This is a great way to ruin a classic.

Soldato
Isn’t the point of the remake that they don’t change the story or the characters?

Basically new engine, graphics sound and animations but don’t touch anything else because it isn’t broken.

Soldato
Nice i remember playing this through Uni and stayed up many nights with my roommates blasting through it. Hopefully they don't move away from the original storyline...

Caporegime
https://boundingintocomics.com/2021...star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake/

I have a strong distrust for people who go about having that big of a chip on their shoulder, hopefully they're only doing inconsequential parts of the story, but still have to remember it is Disney that own Star Wars now, so anything is game.

Is that it? Somebody who liked Force Awakens and The last jedi and is a feminist?

I don't think Last Jedi is a particularly good movie, but it's better than Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

Soldato
I loved this game. Got it on a whim with an Xbox way back when. I didn't know anything about it which probably helped, I kinda miss the days of relying on magazines.
I don't recall much about it other than one party member was called Bastilla or something

Back
Top Bottom