Star Wars: The Acolyte

Man of Honour
^ yeah playing guitar is fully stimulating like TikTok but it’s on the other end of the spectrum (maximum ‘in the moment’, connecting with something ‘in reality’).

It’s those middle ground, slow-build and passive forms of entertainment that are a struggle to invest in.

Heck, I’m not sure these days whether more people play video games… or watch other people play them (for the extra layer of social commentary / stimulation)!

Soldato
Obviously anecdotal, but my son and all his mates are the same. They were all 7 and 8 when TFA came out, the perfect age to capture their imaginations. Not one is bothered about star wars............

My mates kid and his friend (both 8) are the same. Both have seen a few SW films but none are fans, instead they are huge Spiderman fans, although even thats on the wane as sports becomes more important to them (currently football and BMX). For "entertainment" it seems to be Youtube is their thing, rather than films/TV/reading etc.

Soldato
For "entertainment" it seems to be Youtube is their thing, rather than films/TV/reading etc.
Seems to be pretty universal around that age, my son was the same in that youtube was his go to. Gone back to 'normal tv' in recent years, he's just binged through snowfall over the past few months as an example.

He's been getting into the nba the past year or so (i dont mind that though as i dont have to pretend to like it :p) and thanks to tiktok he's got some bat **** crazy views on modern players, tiktok needs to burn in hell :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Long gone are the days when the dads/uncles could take the boys to the cinema to watch a cool film with space ships and aliens. Part of the reason Disney are falling flat on their faces, by not catering to the target demographic, no new people are becoming fans of the genre/franchise.

Many of my hobbies/interests are because my dad or uncles introduced me to them, fishing, camping, cycling and of course star wars to name but a few.

Caporegime
It's almost like there's lots more stuff around for kids to do these days.

Star Wars was pretty cool in the 80's when really the only options for kids were playing outside, playing with toys or watching 4 TV channels.

Last edited:
Soldato
Long gone are the days when the dads/uncles could take the boys to the cinema to watch a cool film with space ships and aliens. Part of the reason Disney are falling flat on their faces, by not catering to the target demographic, no new people are becoming fans of the genre/franchise.

Many of my hobbies/interests are because my dad or uncles introduced me to them, fishing, camping, cycling and of course star wars to name but a few.

I used to be excited to introduce younger family members to things that I liked as a kid, especially when there was well made modern material.

Granted, they'd not always be into it but when they were it could be a fantastic bonding experience and shared interest. Star Wars was like that for multiple generations, it's only since Disney got their hands on it that I've become loathe to even mention it around them.

I even actually have family who were the the perfect age range during the Disney takeover, nieces and nephews etc that really enjoyed Star Wars. They used to make a point of going to see the movies in the cinema in a big group, made a day out of it and had a great time. Pretty much every single one of them stopped after The Last Jedi, and then they gave up on the Mandalorian despite enjoying it to start with. It's not that there isn't a potential market for Star Wars anymore, it's that Disney are targeting the wrong people with their content.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's almost like there's lots more stuff around for kids to do these days.

Star Wars was pretty cool in the 80's when really the only options for kids were playing outside, playing with toys or watching 4 TV channels.

Lot's of temporary distractions I agree, but when your invested into something like Star Wars, Warhammer, Magic the Gathering etc, it can be a life long experience.

Soldato
Heck, I’m not sure these days whether more people play video games… or watch other people play them (for the extra layer of social commentary / stimulation)!
Older one just plays Minecraft but more often watches other people play Minecraft. the younger one is not interested in any videogames, to be fair the younger one has been diagnosed with ADHD and is a bit of an oddball.

Caporegime
Best episode so far. 27 minutes of mainly light sabreing, fighting and force pushing. Very high body count. All fairly predictable, story wise. It's hard to take Jason from "The Good Place" seriously as as the big bad. He was much better as the sidekick to Mae.

rp2000

Reactions: Kyo
Man of Honour
Best episode so far. 27 minutes of mainly light sabreing, fighting and force pushing. Very high body count. All fairly predictable, story wise. It's hard to take Jason from "The Good Place" seriously as as the big bad. He was much better as the sidekick to Mae.

rp2000

Much better! Great to see some action again.

Caporegime
Well i guess the last few episodes unravel the "MyStErY" but its a huge shame it took so long to get anywhere....

They really needed to get a massive hook on this from the start and not make it "fun" from episode 5 and pretty hard cringe all the previous episodes..... Stupid stupid writing and choices...

Its still awful and sillyly written but its amazing what a few lightsabres swinging around and
Everyone's favourite idiots getting slaughtered !!!!!! YESSSSSS
I quite like smilo ren now..... hes got his Sith robey look :p I do hope that hes backed up by the not nightsister" cult.... It better make a fulfilling story, even if its semi controversial./

but the writing is so stupid...... so dumb.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fifth episode was actually good. Took its time getting here. Lots of action and some nice twists, actually looking forward to the next episode. I thought the villian was excellent, both in visual design and the actor's ability to seem very different in both roles. The same can't be said of the lead, she's not bad but she doesn't have the skills to pull the scenes with Osha and Mae, or make them seem different just by carriage.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Fifth episode was actually good. Took its time getting here. Lots of action and some nice twists, actually looking forward to the next episode. I thought the villian was excellent, both in visual design and the actor's ability to seem very different in both roles. The same can't be said of the lead, she's not bad but she doesn't have the skills to pull the scenes with Osha and Mae, or make them seem different just by carriage.

yeah was thinking the same, the pacing was a little off and the screen play was a little jumbled but the action scenes were good and the choreography was half decent. The lead is pretty wooden and cannot carry the show on her own. Dafne Keen wasnt exactly good either in her speaking parts but she wasn't half bad in the action sequences. Guess that's why she played x23 in Wolverine.

What i dont get

So the Sith force user used the helm to stop the Jedi reading his mind. Couldnt Sol read Mae's when she was pretending to be Osha. Also did he not give a **** his pupils and friends got killed? Just left their bodies lying there?

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why they make stuff like this. Do a bad job. Never mind 5 episodes, people will watch 5 seasons before something gets good. And then it's all water under the bridge.

Things inherently pick up in terms of user reviews in later stages, be it book series or TV shows. The only people sticking things out are those that already enjoyed them to some degree.

I'm keeping an eye on the thread from morbid curiosity, but I quit on episode 3 and given that was close to the half way point for the season I refuse to watch further.

Makes me think about the FF13 fans that claimed the game was great fun after you slogged through the awful first half.

Caporegime
What i dont get

I've always presumed that Jedi have to choose to read minds, Sol could do that but until he has a reason to, he won't. Plus the whole half your friends dying thing would put anyone off their game. I thought the idea you could cut your hair with a light saber without it being obvious was silly, have you ever smelt burnt hair?

Also, didn't Mae get a mark on her head in the accession scene? What happened to that?

Back
Top Bottom