Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
Haven't seen the latest figures but have all those shows combined even came close to the return of Luke Skywalker yet?

There's only rumours, because it's on a streaming service and Disney don't have to give numbers. There are rumours that the numbers are not good. The Gina Carano firing had an impact and subscribers dropped the service. People turned off when Wandavision did not live up to the hype. Falcon/Winter Soldier again lost subscribers due to key woke scenes. Being on a monthly contract means that people will drop the service if there's nothing they want to watch.

Ironically, the success of Mandalorian (which while not great was vastly better than anything else they've made) probably saved Kennedy. As usual, she popped up to take credit for that, and hides when her projects are being criticised. But Mandolorian has problems, with Favreau having to work against Kennedy to try and save Star Wars and make the show he wants. Pedro Pascal is not happy, and Carano being fired scuppers the character and series that Favreau created for Carano, and the next series of Mando looks like it will have different characters, no Baby Yoda, and is a couple of years away. At the same time there are rumours that AT&T are offering Favreau crazy money to come and work for them at Warner Brothers. Although Kevin Feige gets the credit nowadays, it was Favreau that really got the MCU going with the Iron Man films.

The rumours were that KK wanted Luke Skywalker out and discredited to make way for her new vision of Star Wars. Favreau outmanoeuvred KK and got the Luke moment, and all was forgiven by the fans. KK and her supporters felt stabbed in the back as this would take all the air away from the failing High Republic IP that was just about to launch (and has since failed miserably). Then in the following few weeks, Lucasfilm ****** away all that good fan engagement, till we are where we are now with Disney+ just not doing what it needs to do, neither on the Star Wars nor the Marvel side of things, and rumours are of Kennedy's contract not being renewed.

So, there's lot of leaks, lots of rumours, lots of stories, but nothing definite until we see an official announcement that things at the top are going to change. When you see the money people and shareholders getting upset, the parks not making money, Forbes questioning KK's leadership, then you'll see change. I thing we're right at that point that if things don't pick up massively, then KK may indeed get deposed simply because she's not bringing in the success and money that she needs to, and finally the people holding the purse strings have had enough.

Soldato
I think talk of a JJ cut of Ep9 is Disney's own wishful thinking as, unlike the Snyder cut, there appears to be absolutely no grass-roots fan desire to see anything more of the Disney SW trilogy sweeping SM sites. Thats the difference between "real fans" who will actively campaign hard for something they believe in and then spend money on it as a reward vs "fake fans" who are only interested getting in SM likes with a paper thin knowledge of the subject and an empty wallet - thats just my opinion obviously :D

Soldato
I think talk of a JJ cut of Ep9 is Disney's own wishful thinking as, unlike the Snyder cut, there appears to be absolutely no grass-roots fan desire to see anything more of the Disney SW trilogy sweeping SM sites. Thats the difference between "real fans" who will actively campaign hard for something they believe in and then spend money on it as a reward vs "fake fans" who are only interested getting in SM likes with a paper thin knowledge of the subject and an empty wallet - thats just my opinion obviously :D

Yes, that seems to be the consensus. It is known that a lot of the massive reshoots were forced by KK, but JJ has a habit of claiming the credit of any success, and quickly distancing himself from anything that goes wrong. The JJ-cut rumours seem to mirror the Synder Cut story too closely, and is part of this whole new story being officially leaked of how great KK is and how everything is roses at Lucasfilm.

I just don't think that Disney will ever admit they are wrong, and that KK and the Disney trilogy were a disaster. There is a viable approach to making the trilogy non-canon and then redoing them via the Ashoka series and the Veil Of The Force, but very few people think that Disney will take that path.

I do get a feeling that KK is being given enough rope to hang herself, and that Disney could make KK the scapegoat for the Star Wars issue that are now bothering the Disney shareholders. I can see Bob Chapek cutting her loose after all the bad publicity while claiming it's just business, especially if he's got the hugely more competent Favreau available to take charge at Lucasfilm

Soldato
There's been so many rumours that, until Disney/KK formally announce it, I don't believe it. Plus even if the "leader" goes the company has been filled with so many like minded "followers" (peoples desks shown with pictures of Luke Skywalker's face with a big red X through it etc) that Lucasfilm will still be a toxic place for Original Trilogy fans for quite a while I think.

Soldato
Forbes and now this. 100% now believe she's done with Starwars.

The restructuring is already done. Alan Horn is the fall guy.

She be helped out with a production deal or a company as no one will employ her. She might stick around for Indy that's about it.

They had the golden goose and she cooked it instead of printing money.

Last edited:
Soldato
She'll be receiving "life time achievement awards" and then sent on her way. Rumours are she's on indefinite leave until the end of her contract.

They are moving from focussing on "creators" (ie idealogical platform cultists) to "delivery" (ie what the customer wants).

Soldato
She'll be receiving "life time achievement awards" and then sent on her way. Rumours are she's on indefinite leave until the end of her contract.

They are moving from focussing on "creators" (ie idealogical platform cultists) to "delivery" (ie what the customer wants).

I sincerely hope all of this is true.

I can't think of many people who have done as much damage to a franchise as KK and her cronies.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I sincerely hope all of this is true.

I can't think of many people who have done as much damage to a franchise as KK and her cronies.

It's the arrogance and the out touch vision she claims to have. She is possibly one the worst choices to manage the franchise. It's obvious she wanted to gut and reboot the entire thing and rebuild how she wants it. Bugger the fans. Bugger the lore. She is in charge and wants to further her career that's all she cares about.

Back
Top Bottom