Starting swimming, any advice?

Associate
Soldato
OP
Well I've stopped being a woolly wuffter and got over my cold nice and quick. First day at the pool today. Pretty fun, although slight issues towards the end of my 35mins or so whereas I kept getting almighty cramp in the soles of my feet. Ouch. I do get that occasionally in bed, which normally means I have to jump out of bed and dance around like a loon much to my girlfriends entertainment/annoyance. I even had it in the changing rooms afterwards which wasn't pleasant! :p Any ideas?

The pool itself is nice, there was only 3-4 swimmers in each lane outside so I just pootled along. No stress. Ended up doing 95% breastroke as freestyle damn near killed me after a length and also seemed to bring the cramp on. To be honest I rested after most lengths but hey... !

Goggles seems decent too, so thanks for the recommendation xdcx! I dried them with the hair-dryer so I'm hoping they'll be ok to live in my drawer at work? I'm planning on leaving everything there apart from my swim shorts which will go home to dry properly.

Associate
Have you tried swimming with a float between your legs? (they normally have these by the sides of the pool) you can use this to try and improve your freestyle stroke without using your legs and possibly reducing those cramps you are getting. Is it the cramp feeling where it feels like your toes are crossed over but they aren't?

Soldato
Glad you enjoyed it Scam, now just get into a routine, you'll be smashing about the pool like a salmon in no time!

Also goggles, with those Arena Cobra's I tried doing what instructions said and being OCD style looking after them. And theys till started fogging within 2 weeks, so now I just rub them like hell under fresh water, spit in them and rub that in as anti fog and generally give less of a **** about their well-being and having a much better experience with them this way :)

Sarah, "toes crossed over but aren't" is a really good description of a weird cramp I get in my left foot when I am on about length 80/85. Every damn time. It's weird, but I can deal with it, never bad enough to stop me.

Scam, do you do any stretching before/after the swim?

Soldato
OP
Yep that's exactly it. I've never ever had cramp anywhere else, but I get that occasionally. Seems to be when I point my toes, it's awful! I'll try stretching out properly before.. Tonic/mineral water is apparently good for it too? :confused:

Associate
Get you hair wet with the shower before you get in. It'll stop your hair absorbing so much chlorine from the pool. It'll stop it feeling like straw + possibly reduce the chorines ability to cause hair loss.

Soldato
OP
Get you hair wet with the shower before you get in. It'll stop your hair absorbing so much chlorine from the pool. It'll stop it feeling like straw + possibly reduce the chorines ability to cause hair loss.
For a second there I thought you were going to suggest getting your hair wet to stop cramp. Hmn :p

Soldato
OP
Second day and feel even better. This time I was prepared for the hunger afterwards so had half a cheese sandwich ready :D (And a banana and an apple). What do you guys eat after swimming? I don't want to get too fussy over it but wondering if a protein shake or something might be a good idea.

Less cramp today, wonder if it was the Perrier I had before :p

Soldato
Second day and feel even better. This time I was prepared for the hunger afterwards so had half a cheese sandwich ready :D (And a banana and an apple). What do you guys eat after swimming? I don't want to get too fussy over it but wondering if a protein shake or something might be a good idea.

Less cramp today, wonder if it was the Perrier I had before :p

Hydrate, stretch and continue. Give it a bit and as you get used to swimming more I bet this cramp clears up.

Eating wise, I am borderline eating disorder so would not be your honest best bet with this. But I swim at 4pm and ideally I'd be home eating by 5:30 which would be dinner and it would be vegetables, pasta and a source of protein.

For now I would honestly suggest just eating a healthy lunch after it if you are swimming at that time of day. Wholewheat pasta, rice or brown bagel with a source of protein on/in and your fruit. Spot on! :cool:

Soldato
OP
Ah, well I'm actually having lunch before. Eat at 12ish, swim at 2.30pm. Seems OK to me, means I miss the lunchtime rush. But I know I need to eat afterwards, maybe its just a banana and a shake I guess..

Soldato
Typical consumption of an afternoon following a lunch time swim is a 'healthy choice' sandwich from tesco, pack of grapes, and about 400g of cooked chicken. It's basically protein, protein and more protein. This is my lunch however. In the morning I'll typically have some form of protein porridge, and a load of fruit.

Hydrate more to stop the cramps. That's all you need. Aim to drink at least 1l before you swim.

kd

Soldato
When I was swimming, once per session, I would find out how long I could hold my breath for underwater when swimming. Don't forget to come up for air though!

Over time, this improved along with the efficiency of my lungs. Start off by breathing slowly and in a controlled manner for 2 minutes before hand, this will cause your heart rate to reduce and subsequently your oxygen requirements.

Incorporating other exercises can make you a better swimmer as well. I enjoy running and will be getting back to weight lifting soon and then adding some swimming sessions weekly. All of this works towards becoming a better swimmer and enjoying it more and more.

I hope this helps you.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I have weights at home so was thinking of doing a bit of those also. But I'm not taking myself too seriously. At the end of the day I just want to do something to be active, get the heart rate up for a bit etc. If I improve my physique whilst doing the right things, then great.

@King Damager, I am very good on hydration! I read that sparkling water is good for cramps so I've had a Perrier from work on the last couple of occasions I've swum and it seems to help. I think over time I'll be fine, it's just annoying!

I think I will get some protein shake powder stuff just so I have something decent to have post-swim. Otherwise I will no doubt end up snacking and eating chocolate etc which will do me no good!

Managed quite a few lengths of front crawl yesterday, very pleased. My gosh you can feel your technique disappear when you're tired though!

Soldato
When I was swimming, once per session, I would find out how long I could hold my breath for underwater when swimming. Don't forget to come up for air though!

Over time, this improved along with the efficiency of my lungs. Start off by breathing slowly and in a controlled manner for 2 minutes before hand, this will cause your heart rate to reduce and subsequently your oxygen requirements.

Incorporating other exercises can make you a better swimmer as well. I enjoy running and will be getting back to weight lifting soon and then adding some swimming sessions weekly. All of this works towards becoming a better swimmer and enjoying it more and more.

I hope this helps you.

Please be careful with this. Shallow water blackout is a real thing and has effected people swimming at olympic levels

kd

Soldato
I am even struggling with Google on this but 1K (50lengths of a 20m, 40 lengths of a 25m) breast stroke in 24minutes. Is that semi decent for an average swimmer? What sort of time would a very good swimmer cover 1k doing breast stroke?

Thanks.

Associate
Hi xdcx, that really depends what you mean by average, as I'd suspect that the average person wouldn't be able to swim 1km in one go. Amongst regular swimmers what is 'decent' is a personal thing varying a lot by age, build, sex, fitness, etc..
If a comparison with a middle aged/overweight/not particularly fit bloke helps I was doing about 2.5km breaststroke in an hour before I swapped to crawl (partly for speed but also as knees and hips were starting to complain), which is about the same pace. Amongst the regulars at my local pool in adult / lane sessions it's towards the top end for those who swim breaststroke so I'd say it's a pretty decent speed unless you start to measure yourself against club or pro athletes who can probably swim twice as fast :eek:.
For freestyle, there are triathlon results which could give you an idea of 'good' speeds.
It's not a race though (except sometimes it is :D)

Soldato
Hi xdcx, that really depends what you mean by average, as I'd suspect that the average person wouldn't be able to swim 1km in one go. Amongst regular swimmers what is 'decent' is a personal thing varying a lot by age, build, sex, fitness, etc..
If a comparison with a middle aged/overweight/not particularly fit bloke helps I was doing about 2.5km breaststroke in an hour before I swapped to crawl (partly for speed but also as knees and hips were starting to complain), which is about the same pace. Amongst the regulars at my local pool in adult / lane sessions it's towards the top end for those who swim breaststroke so I'd say it's a pretty decent speed unless you start to measure yourself against club or pro athletes who can probably swim twice as fast :eek:.
For freestyle, there are triathlon results which could give you an idea of 'good' speeds.

Thanks Wonko, I realise how vague I was now.

I am male mid 20's, very fit just now and lean. Started swimming 7 weeks ago as I have an injury preventing me from running which is my actual sport.

My friend is a triathlete and I did ask him, he said sub 25 is excellent for only a few weeks swimming and progression. But he said he and his club mates only really ever do crawl so wasn't the best to ask for breast stroke but as far as he knew under 25 was pretty respectable.

I am saying nothing!!! :D:p:D

Soldato
How come you don't do freestyle? I thought it was the better workout?

Truth be told, I very nearly drowned as a kid, I utterly despise the water/pool. But with being injured the gym cross training was getting so bland I wanted to do something else and train twice a day again so I forced myself swimming and getting quite into it now. I've simply not progressed to crawl yet, but I will, it still freaks me out that bit so I am taking it a step at a time.

Back
Top Bottom